• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ive never met another disc golfer anywhere but on the course. Have you?

An Innova sponsored pro was looking for a job and put me down as a reference. A possible employer just called and asked me a few questions about him. He asked how I knew him and I said from disc golf. The employer said he also plays disc golf. It sounds like my friend may get the job.

I walked pass a guy wearing an Innova shirt and I was wearing my DD shirt while grocery shopping at Walmart.

I have met a lot of other disc golfers off of the course. I meet a lot at work. we start talking to each other and find out that there are others in the company i work for that play as well. was at a gas station when a worker there who was outside attending to some cleaning saw my disc golf stickers and said she played as well and asked what course i play at. taco bell employee saw my stickers and asked if i had heard about the new course going in by where he lived. i had and said i was waiting to play it. also went to get my oil change and the worker saw my discs in the back seat and mentioned that he played as well.

two years ago one of my students noticed I was practicing my x step at football practice. He is now a sponsored player

Coffee shops. Bars. Pool halls. My grad school program. Where I worked at a restaurant in town.... Everywhere.e

I live in a rural county with one dinky 12-hole course, plus 1 private course that wouldn't be known to the populace. Yet a waitress in a local restaurant once asked if we owned the private course; she used to play when she lived somewhere else. A couple in the grocery store saw my shirt and asked me about it, because their son plays.

For anyone who hasn't met any disc golfers off the course, well, you probably have and didn't know it. How many people have met you, and don't know you're a disc golfer?

I was running a putting game at a church festival a couple of years ago. A guy came up to me and said "Hey, are you Jim-B?" That was kind of cool. He knew who I was specifically from DGCR! :)

And I hope to meet another disc golfer, soon. On my way to church last Sunday, in the backyard of a house I pass every day on my way to work, I saw a disc golf basket. I'm totally going to stop when I see someone outside. Understand, please, that I'm not a stalker. It's just that there are no courses in my area and so it's extremely cool to see a basket in yard other than my own!

I think a lot of the casual players, tend not to have stickers on there cars. If I had to put a number on how many disc'ers there are in the Cincinnati area, i'd put the casual number in the thousands(at least 4-6k). A couple hundred that play tournaments somewhat regularly.

I don't put stickers on my vehicle cause I don't want to **** it up anymore than it already is!

look up member, Lion
he's in moreno valley
and he drinks good beer

I have been playing for less than a year, and have not met one off of the course. I talk about it almost everywhere I go, and not yet. I did mention that we played at our Fathers Day Family Picnic, and showed off a few discs...only to have my niece say, "and you hit these things with golf clubs?" :\

look up member, Lion
he's in moreno valley
and he drinks good beer

We've played several times and I guess you could say I met him off course because we met here. Same with mashnut. They're both better than me by several orders of magnitude. Its pretty gratifying to type in dgcr.com and see a thread you started on thr homepage.

For anyone who hasn't met any disc golfers off the course, well, you probably have and didn't know it. How many people have met you, and don't know you're a disc golfer?

The only people that really know I play are close friends and family and a few colleagues at work. Some of my neighbors also know because we had a disc golf day in my neighborhood in 2010 where one of the social committees bought 50 discs and set up a course but only about 20 people showed up. There have been pics of me and an article on dg in a few magazines and papers locally years ago (Charleston Magazine, Post and Courier, Moultrie News and Natural Awakenings) which did have some neighbors ask about me playing as well. I rarely wear clothing with disc golf logos unless I am playing or working out and occasionally someone will say they played in college (if anyone is interested, I have numerous shirts I would be willing sell from tournaments). Most strangers along the coast associate me with being a Widespread Panic fan due to the Big Wooly Mammoth hats I wear occasionally. In other parts of the country I get, "why do you have a Mastodon on your hat?" It is actually nice not being "you know the guy that plays Frisbee or disc golf" because I have a lot of other interests. I am actually glad about it because it used to drive me crazy when some of my parent's friends would refer to me as "the golfer" or "the surfer" in my teens and early twenties because I took it as they thought I did not have balance in my life.

We're Definitely an Enclave

I've never found a little known English word that better defines disc golf(ers)..."a minority group preserving its own distinct culture while living among a larger group".