• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacky Chen - Winner of 2020 Asia Open

To think, if he had wanted to sign up for, say, the San Francisco Open as his first tournament, he wouldn't be allowed. :rolleyes:

Good for him.

First to 1000 rating Jackie or Brodie?

In a more serious note, is their a transcript of the disc golf guy's interview with him?

This is such a cool story. I hope disc golf Media keeps up with this kid. I wonder how many non sanctioned events are happening in Taiwan/China. It's one thing for someone to have natural talent and practice their way into an impressive skill set, but to be on that stage against those guys and come out on top makes me think he must have a good amount of competitive experience.

Not even a single round super-hot day carrying everything. The second best round every single one of the 3 main rounds, and then tied for the hot score on the Final 9. It takes a full amazing weekend to beat those guys, but that's just plain SOLID.

Apparently he's a well-known talent locally so it wasn't surprising that he would be the local most likely to contend. However, being able to perform under pressure and take it down after more than just one or two rounds is impressive. The only other scenario I recall that's comparable but perhaps still a bit more impressive is Harold Duvall winning the first PDGA Pro World Championship in 1982 in his first disc golf event.

Anybody ever heard of this guy? (insert Jackie Chan jokes now). PDGA# 128836.

Looks like he just played his 1st tournament and took down Perkins, Philo, Conrad, and Manabu. Impressive! His 1st rating should be around 1040 based off this one tournament.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/43547

Not trying to diss too much on Nate and Philo, but how do those guys afford to fly over there and play? Were the three of them (w/ Conrad) sponsored to run some grow the sport style events over there or something?

Not trying to diss too much on Nate and Philo, but how do those guys afford to fly over there and play? Were the three of them (w/ Conrad) sponsored to run some grow the sport style events over there or something?

I got Nate as a random draw dubs partner two years ago and asked him about Thailand specifically. IIRC he said he just stayed there all winter because it's crazy cheap, and he loved the weather/locale. Philo told me the same thing last year. Plus it's probably even cheaper if they're all traveling together (I don't know if they are).

Apparently he's a well-known talent locally so it wasn't surprising that he would be the local most likely to contend. However, being able to perform under pressure and take it down after more than just one or two rounds is impressive. The only other scenario I recall that's comparable but perhaps still a bit more impressive is Harold Duvall winning the first PDGA Pro World Championship in 1982 in his first disc golf event.

Not gonna lie, I thought that this was a pro that did this as sort of a joke or something along those lines. But to hear that it was a local that really did shoot some fire, that is impressive. Props to the dude for sure. It would be nice to see some footage.

Not gonna lie, I thought that this was a pro that did this as sort of a joke or something along those lines. But to hear that it was a local that really did shoot some fire, that is impressive. Props to the dude for sure. It would be nice to see some footage.
Terry Miller posted he shot footage from R2 through the Final 9. But he said it may be several weeks before posting because of other events in his pipeline and upcoming events that take priority.

They were not in town for very long and didn't run any additional events. It would have been awesome for them to though. I was at the tournament and asked them if their sponsors covered any of this and the answer was no. So at least not this year.

Jacky comes from a family of disc golfers too. His mom and dad are both pretty solid players. It was impressive and exciting to watch. The tournament footage should be pretty fun. I believe there was some back and forth lead changes through out. Jacky is by far the best on the island, and honestly not sure he is ever really challenged. There are very few quality competitions. The local Taiwan Disc Golf Association (TDGA) holds monthly tournaments, but the overall quality is just not the same as it would be other places. The mental side of his game to step up and compete with the touring pros was as impressive, if not more so, than his physical technicals kill set which was also impressive.

It's official, his initial rating is 1040. Without looking that has to be a record for highest initial rating. Tied for both 6th highest rated player in the world and highest rated non US player with Simon Lizotte.

It's official, his initial rating is 1040. Without looking that has to be a record for highest initial rating. Tied for both 6th highest rated player in the world and highest rated non US player with Simon Lizotte.

Cool, let's talk about this dude instead of the dude getting lessons from McBeth.

Latest posts