• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jenkins/McBeth forehand (this is why we can't have nice things)

I'm not saying Hokum's form is perfect, but better, she did win World's throwing vast majority FH. If Paul wasn't throwing Max's they would be going in the ground.

I think I understand what your are talking about with that. I have noticed that pretty much all of Paul's sidearm shots come out low and anhyzer, and he uses the overstability of the disc to get the right finishing shot he's looking for. Is that what you're talking about? Honestly if I could get as accurate as Paul is on sidearm throws in the 300-350 range I'd let you call me a torquemonkey as much as you want

Also, because this is the internet so I am obligated to argue with people over pointless crap: I'm pretty sure Paul is throwing Firebirds and beefcake AJ destroyers for his sidearm stuff these days :popcorn:

yeah big difference from what hokum and big jerm throw on multiple lines is the point. Big Jerm throws some mean dead straight hyzer flips with mids and understable drivers FH.

I used to be able to work a monarch like that but then learned how to actually play DG... backhand :p

and Paul come on seriously you have to know the differences between shots called a turnover or hyzer flip vs the release angle anhyzer. you don't throw all your BH shots with a hyzer flip last time I watched you either...?

aren't turnovers and Anhyzer the same thing or is this some internet lingo I'm missing. Also when it comes to Hyzer-flip thats just a RHBH for me so why force something. The only way you'll see me throw that is if it's my only option and you may have to go back to European Open in 2013 to see that shot.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
yeah big difference from what hokum and big jerm throw on multiple lines is the point. Big Jerm throws some mean dead straight hyzer flips with mids and understable drivers FH.

Yeah but McB3ast doesn't really need to be able to sidearm all those lines. He's a backhander first who has all the throws, and only uses a sidearm for line's he couldn't accurately hit with a backhand. Whereas Hokum, Jerm, and Wysocki all were sidearmers who learned all the shots that way and developed backhand skills later.

You've got quite a pair of cojones, senora, to critique the 3x Champ's sidearm so harshly. Might want to tone down the testosterone a wee bit.
What are you saying? A female can't have better form than a male?

Yeah but McB3ast doesn't really need to be able to sidearm all those lines. He's a backhander first who has all the throws, and only uses a sidearm for line's he couldn't accurately hit with a backhand. Whereas Hokum, Jerm, and Wysocki all were sidearmers who learned all the shots that way and developed backhand skills later.

so? lol. last time i checked big jerm has one of the meanest BH in the game too distance wise... lanky ass dude'

I think I understand what your are talking about with that. I have noticed that pretty much all of Paul's sidearm shots come out low and anhyzer, and he uses the overstability of the disc to get the right finishing shot he's looking for. Is that what you're talking about? Honestly if I could get as accurate as Paul is on sidearm throws in the 300-350 range I'd let you call me a torquemonkey as much as you want

Also, because this is the internet so I am obligated to argue with people over pointless crap: I'm pretty sure Paul is throwing Firebirds and beefcake AJ destroyers for his sidearm stuff these days :popcorn:
Yes, I've never seen Paul throw FH finishing straight or left. Massively overstable discs are....extremely predictable. If people are going model their FH throw off Paul they will need massively overstable discs and probably have a hard time figuring out how to throw straight or left.

so? lol. last time i checked big jerm has one of the meanest BH in the game too distance wise... lanky ass dude'
Yeah Jerm is a freak of nature, he was perfectly built to throw disc like Michael Phelps was perfectly built to swim.

Yes, I've never seen Paul throw FH finishing straight or left. Massively overstable discs are....extremely predictable. If people are going model their FH throw off Paul they will need massively overstable discs and probably have a hard time figuring out how to throw straight or left.

But if you already have an accurate backhand shot why bother? I mean, the only reason I'm trying to develop a sidearm shot is because there are SOME right turning fairways that are tough to hit on a RHBH line. I think Paul made the same point earlier in this thread.

But if you already have an accurate backhand shot why bother? I mean, the only reason I'm trying to develop a sidearm shot is because there are SOME right turning fairways that are tough to hit on a RHBH line. I think Paul made the same point earlier in this thread.
There are advantages to throwing a FH vs BH in many situations even on similar lines for instance a FH anhyzer is a different line than BH hyzer. If you are serious about being the best you can be, then why wouldn't you add more shots to your arsenal?

That doesn't mean Paul's form is better than either SW or SH.

If people are going model their FH throw off Paul they will need massively overstable discs and probably have a hard time figuring out how to throw straight or left.

As one of people who said I would try a similar starting motion cause I need to fix my forehand cause its basically nothing but a utility shot for me. Do you believe doing that wind-up couldn't be used effectively in all shots? Or just that Paul doesn't?

Last edited:
I would say try it and see if it works for you. But also, McBeast and Avery are the only two people with a good forehand that I've seen throw like that. They do it because that's what they're used to and it helps them time the snap. There is no advantage or disadvantage to throwing like that. The other 90% like to bring the disc straight through and keep their elbow tight to their hips for consistency, or use their whole arm as a whip for max-D, but still bringing the disc straight through on the throw.

As one of people who said I would try a similar starting motion cause I need to fix my forehand cause its basically nothing but a utility shot for me. Do you believe doing that wind up couldn't be used effectively in all shots? Or just that Paul doesn't?
The overhand windup is the only way I can decently time a FH using a non-x-step and find it harder to aim and restricting in general. However I use a more underhanded/hyzer style(submarine pitch style) windup and normal x-step/hop just like I do for BH. I feel that the x-step with the underhand windup is way less stress on the body and makes it easier to aim and load into the correct arm slot for any shot as it's the mirror motion back and forward. I wouldn't really say I use a windup if much FH though because the arm is pretty much loaded and it's just my hips/shoulders bringing the arm/disc back into the max reachback. It's the same philosophy as Feldy and McBeth's BH "no-reachback" where the disc stays in the same place into the backswing or "reachback".

Why in the world would you argue terminology or really anything about this game with a 3x world champion? I've got a half decnt FH too but that mans got his name on discs, and most of us don't even have our real names on our profile.

I don't wind up then same way Paul or Avery do becuase I can't separate my hands enough that way, you still need a good reach back to create power and they can get as much power from the wrist action as they need to power the disc.

Why in the world would you argue terminology or really anything about this game with a 3x world champion? I've got a half decnt FH too but that mans got his name on discs, and most of us don't even have our real names on our profile.
Titles don't mean you know everything and he doesn't even use his signature discs for FH.

It's amazing why more pros don't log onto DGCR. I just can't put my finger on why. Hmmmmmm

The discs I have forehand, well shoot just in San Antonio this past weekend I threw a Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Roc3 and even a McPro. thats ALL in one event. I even sidearm the ThunderBird when I feel like it. I did play disc golf for two years straight with only Forehands so I do know a bit of things about angles.

Yep. Tiger should fire his coach. Because that guy hasn't won any majors.

(Ignore the fact that Tiger actually did just fire his coach. Pretend I'm talking about Harmon. Tiger's crappy play after firing him makes my point more poignant.)