• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

jump rope

schrot42

Think this would help quickness in the tee pad. I'm going to try for 30 days and see. Any other simple workout that work? Any advice is appreciated

Gotta try the speed ladder ^. It will get you acclimated to working on the balls of your feet and controlled quickness.

I'm not sure that jump rope will do much for your quickness, but I absolutely guarantee that it will be great for cardio and endurance if you do it seriously. If you are out of shape then jumping rope will straight up stomp your ass. If I decided I wanted to start playing several rounds every day I would absolutely start exercising with a jump rope.

For quickness the football and basketball drills that everyone knows are good, as are heavy correct squats in the gym. Head up, heels flat, all the way down.

Last edited:
I definitely believe in having jumping rope as a part of training. I started doing it a few winters ago when I tried to get in shape in the off season and found that my endurance picked up alot. Start with a minute then work your way up to more minutes. This is much better than trying to do an amount I found.

I got back in the gym again this off season and found that my coordination was clumsy with it and realized that the better I got at mixing up the jumps (ie. two feet, one foot, and alternating feet) the better my coordination has gotten when out on the course. Smoother X-steps resulting in more power in my drive.

What ever happened to jumping jacks? A good serving of jumping jacks and full out sprints will whip your sorry a$$ into shape quicker than a Kardashian with Photoshop.

Another great exercise is a lunge. Alot of power comes from your core and the stronger your legs and mid-section are the more you'll get in distance, plus your legs won't be so willing to give out on a long day of golfing. I try and mix up my work out almost cross fit style, but not that extreme. Lunges with a twist and bulgarian lunges where you put one foot back on a bench and dip with one leg while holding weights, will get your legs into shape real fast.

"No pain, No gain!"

There is one workout I do when I do my legs and abs day. It's a Dumbbell Lunge and Rotation.

What you do is Lunge with a dumbbell in your hands and as you get to the end you rotate away from your lunging leg. I've always did this workout for a while and the motions will help really well in building stronger core. I believe it is one of the better workouts for legs and core because you have to do it slowly while maintaining balance with the dumbbell while rotating.If you have a weak core this workout will reveal it as you will be a bit wobbly at first. I do 3 sets of 16. this is 8 for each leg. It may not sound like much,but when added to your normal routine it can kick your butt if you do right in the middle of your workout. Now this is just me but i feel it helps to use a heavy dumbbell that you can hold in an isometric contraction for a while. I feel a light weight don't help much in making the core stronger.

I also can't stress enough about Yoga. Yoga is the ultimate ways to build your core. Sure working out can help,which I do,but having daily Yoga sessions after each workout will helps tons in keeping you flexible and having a strong core.

I'm a proponent of Kegel excercises... won't necessarily lower your scores, but they can help your performance. :D