• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

June 2-12 Heading towards Reno/Tahoe

MoonT4

Birdie Member
Heading to Reno again for the National Tournament in bowling on June 2, decided to take 10 days off from work for this year, due to the fact I want to drive to a destination get a hotel adn get up early the next morning and hit a round at a new course before getting back on the road, figure to take 3 days each direction. Leaving from Austin, TX in the early AM of June 2 and want to drive about 8-12 hours before stopping to sleep, figure that will get me into New Mexico and maybe if I push it a bit, Arizona. Can I get some input on some must play courses between Texas and Nevada? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You should hat a course or two in the Tahoe basin when you get here. You should get a DGCR travel tag, I'll have mine by then. You could get several swaps in in one trip!

There is a new course in Dayton NV, I got it listed on here last week. Its not worth playing over any of the Tahoe courses though.

Anyone have any input as to Tucson area courses and or Vegas area?

Looking at the site here, I found Marana Rock DGC just outside of Tucson, looks appealing. Figure if I leave out by 7 AM from Austin, will arrive in Tucson sometime about 8 PM or so, can sleep and get up early Friday morning 6/3 and hit this course. Anyone available for showing us this course?

Also figure to arrive late Friday night in Vegas, going to stay the night and get up early Saturday morning to hit a Vegas course, haven't chosen one yet, but would like some input and possibly a guide in Vegas for a good round.

Figure to leave out after the round to finish trip to Reno where over the next several days 6/5-6/9 have two days of bowling a few hours each day, and the rest of the time for sightseeing adn DG. Want to hit up Zephyr and Bijou again, and would really like to possible hit up Truckee and or something else on the NW shore area. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Guides for these courses would also be great if available, I will have my cell phone with me, so if you could PM your number I can call when we arrive at locations.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice.

do not miss Zephyr Cove...(hopefully free of snow by then!)

Skip Truckee. Play Tahoe Vista and Sierra College on the North Shore. Also, don't miss Turtle Rock.

Zephyr is a must re-play for me. Played it last year in March with snow on the ground. It was fun then and we anxiously await another round out there. My brother inlaw lost a disc out there last year. Although what do you expect when you tug the hell out of a clear disc. I told him that wasn't a good disc to through out there. We figure to hit Zephyr, Bijou and then head to the North Shore area for more rounds. Last year, we hit both Zephyr and Bijou then headed back to Reno for a third round all on the same day.

Ok, I have my trip planned accordingly for play on the way to Reno. Figure is I get started around 7 AM on Thursday June 2, should arrive in Tucson around 9 PM that evening. Going to get a bit of dinner and Hotel for the night then wake up early the next morning and head to Marana Rock DGC for a round before heading on to Las Vegas. Figuring the average round for 4 players, I assume the course will take us approximately 3 hours to play, so with a 7 AM wake up should be able to make Marana by 8 AM and leave out for Vegas by 11 or so. This should put us in Vegas by 8 PM. Getting a hotel and dinner, then checking out some attractions then to bed for an early wake up on Saturday for a Vegas Round at either Sunset or Mountain Crest. Then heading on to Reno after the round.

I am looking for possible guide/s at these courses along the way.

Marana Rock DGC - June 3rd around 8 AM

Sunset Park or Mountain Crest Park - June 4th around 8 AM

Anyone available please PM or post.

Thanks

Back home from trip and got to play alot of nice new courses.

Tucson, AZ (Marana) played Maran Rock DGC on Friday morning, was a great course, found it to be challenging yet not to extreme without the late afternoon winds. The flow of the course was smooth, we only had a problem on 1 hole but after a bit of looking around, was able to get right back on track. No disc's lost.

Las Vegas, NV played Mountain Crest DGC-by using the OB's and the trees that were in place, this provided somewhat of a challenge, but wasn't too much even for a beginner like my son.

Met up again with Brian (renotahoedg) out in Reno for some great rounds at some great courses around the beautiful Lake Tahoe.

Truckee River Regional Park-This was by far the most challenging up to this point on our trip. The temperature for the start of our round was a whopping 54 degrees, being at the same t-off time back at home when I spoke with my wife was 93 degrees already, it was a nice change of pace for temperatures. Had a great round and moved to our next location.

Sierra College DGC-This is a spectacular course, alot of hiking and we did have a bit of troubles finding some of the holes, but once they were located, the course had a smooth flow to it. Once this course is completed, I feel it will be atleast among the top 3 in the area. After this round, we headed to 50/50 Brewhouse for some drinks and lunch before going to our final nightmarish round at;

Tahoe Visat-N Tahoe Regional Park-The front 9 here had some simple but long shots, but the back 9 was rediculous. You all that play here must be really good, as there didn't seem to be any real lines to throw, but just simply throw in the general direction of the basket and hope for the best. However the hole that runs downhill towards the end either 16 or 17 I believe, was a great hole, in my mind. Finished the round not to great, but had a blast. The day I felt was a full success. My brother inlaw did however lose 3 discs here, 2 in the pond, and one that we forgot to pick up just after the pond.

That was the end of Sunday, and since our host had to work, we didn't get to play anymore till Wednesday at which time we met back up with Brain, to hit Zephyr, Bijou and Turtle Rock. We started out at;

Turtle Rock then to Zephyr, lunch and Bijou for the big finish. We had played Zephyr and Bijou last year in the snow, and let me say, without the snow these courses are 100 times better and more fun to play. Had another great visit to the area, and will be back out the next trip to Reno.

On our way home, we hit 1 more additional course Emeral Park in Phoenix(Mesa), AZ, was a nice little neighborhood park, that had minimal space, but the way the course was laid out, I thought was fantastic. The flow was ok, and we only had issues due to the fact they were watering the grounds, I guess early weekday mornings this course doesn't get much traffic, so was best time to do so, but since we were traveling, and wanted to get in early before heading on back to Austin, we played through the sprinklers. Again, brother inlaw lost a disc that he grip locked into the back yard along one side of the course. Counted houses to the street and went around to knock on the door to see if we could retrieve it, but noone was home. He did jump up on wall to look in yard for the disc to be met by 2 big boxer dogs, that didn't seem to inviting to him, so a lost disc it was.

All in all we had a really good time, 9 courses for the trip 7 of which were new to us.

For those that offered up course advice and or info, I wish to thank you for your time.

Last edited:
An additional thanks goes to Brian, man you really hooked us up with some great courses, and upon arriving home, I went to my weekly club meet up on Sunday, and got lots of raves over the Tahoe shirts you had made. Look forward to heading that way again, and I hope your bar b que over the weekend turned out great.

You are welcome Tim and I had a great time. I will let you know when I make up a new batch of shirts.

Thanks for hauling BBQ through 5 states. It was awesome!

If I ever get down your way, I'll make you play tour guide.

Latest posts