• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just getting started...

MGregg85

I've been playing disc golf on and off since the late 90's. Just about a month ago I started getting back into it and now I'm addicted. I've been playing about 3 to 4 times a week now and buying discs randomly to try to help myself get better. Now i'm trying to work on my throws and technique, been watching videos on youtube and reading a lot and I think i'm getting better but I've got a ways to go.

Right now I can putt pretty well and i'm doing good with midrange shots but i've gotta work on my driving. I'm sure its almost all my form but I'm wondering if maybe there are some discs that I haven't tried that would be more forgiving and maybe help me learn.

Anyways, heres the discs I have now:

Putting:
Aviar P&A 175g

Midrange:
Pro D Buzzz 171g
Elite X Buzzz 177g
Star Mako 162g
DX Wolf 180g
DX first run Skeeter 174g

Drivers:
DX Wraith 171g I get a lot of fade with this one, can't throw it fast enough
Champ Beast 170g Use this guy for hyzers a lot
Champ Sidewinder 166g My favorite roller disc, long and straight
Champ Monarch 171g Long and straight with just a little fade
Pro D Cyclone 174g Another long and straight

I've also got a 175g Champ Groove that I can't throw without tons of instant fade, never should have got this disc but it was one of the first I got before I had half a clue.

So any suggestions besides just get out there and throw more? I've been thinking about trying out a Leopard or a TL.

Leopard is awesome, you should pick one up for sure.

To work on your driving form, hit a practice field and throw lots of mids and putters....over, and over, and over again:).

Right now I can putt pretty well and i'm doing good with midrange shots but i've gotta work on my driving. I'm sure its almost all my form but I'm wondering if maybe there are some discs that I haven't tried that would be more forgiving and maybe help me learn.

Disc down. They will not necessarily be more forgiving, but you will be able to get them up to their designed flight speed easier so their lines will be proper. You will also gain control. Using Innova as an example, try not throwing anything faster than a speed 7 disc for a while (Eagles, TeeBirds, XL, XS), and maybe add a FireBird as a headwind driver.

These "fairway" drivers will help you develop proper form quicker, because you can concentrate on angle of release & nose orientation without having to worry about falling short of velocity if you fail to get everything behind it. It's hard to tweak specifics of your game when you have to throw with Homer Simpson (aka Max Power) in order to give the disc the chance to fly properly.

Anyways, heres the discs I have now:

Putting:
Aviar P&A 175g Perfect

Midrange:
Pro D Buzzz 171g Yes
Elite X Buzzz 177g Yes
Star Mako 162g Never used it
DX Wolf 180g Dump it
DX first run Skeeter 174g never used it

Drivers:
DX Wraith 171g I get a lot of fade with this one, can't throw it fast enough Great disc, but put it away for now

Champ Beast 170g Use this guy for hyzers a lot
Champ Sidewinder 166g My favorite roller disc, long and straight
Champ Monarch 171g Long and straight with just a little fade

I'd put these 3 away too and concentrate on fairway drivers and mids.

Pro D Cyclone 174g Another long and straight Good choice for a strong tailwind

I've also got a 175g Champ Groove that I can't throw without tons of instant fade, never should have got this disc but it was one of the first I got before I had half a clue.

Again, save it for down the road, or use it for steep hyzers and a meathook forehand.

So any suggestions besides just get out there and throw more? I've been thinking about trying out a Leopard or a TL.

Leopard is good, as well as a Gazelle. Teebird is a must. Get DX and beat it in. Your precision will be like Robin Hood.

I agree with most of what deBebbler said except that the Cyclone is for strong tailwinds, it can do most everything, and that a Teebird is a necessity at this point. If you like the Cyclone and want more discs I'd just get more of them. The Leopard and TL are fine discs, but won't help you learn to throw farther better than the Cyclone. Once you're happier with how far you're throwing a DX Teebird is a great choice. They're just a bit difficult to throw and not great for diagnosing problems when learning.

I'll emphasize that learning to perform full drives with putters, mids and fairway drivers is necessary for learning to throw far with control.

I've also been looking at the Aero to possibly replace my aviar, it looks like it would work great as a combo midrange/putter.

I've also been looking at the Aero to possibly replace my aviar, it looks like it would work great as a combo midrange/putter.
I'm not a big fan of the floaty putters, especally for newer players. Sure you get a bit of extra carry, but they're not as good into the wind and that extra carry usually only means longer comeback putts. I like knowing that I can go for it at 50' and always make my comeback. With the floatier putters that isn't always true.

I also wouldn't worry about finding a combo putter/mid. With discs like the Aviar you'll have overlap between a putter and a mid, not a gap. Having a longer putter that has a disadvantage won't help.

If you want something from Innova but different, a KC Pro Aviar would be, IMO, a better choice.

Latest posts