• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

KC Roc Problems

Jewdy

Par Member
I am sure that this issue has been discussed, but I can't find any KC Rocs that are actually overstable anymore. I used to be able to just order KC Rocs and trust that they would be overstable, but the last year or so it seems like they are all almost neutral out of the box. It is so bad that even some older KCs with visible damage are about the same stability as these new ones on their first throw.
I got so frustrated with roc hunting that I started trying different molds (Roc3, M2, Aftershock, Sent....) The one that I like the most so far is the Ghost, but the problem with them is they aren't available in a stiff pro plastic. I like the flight of the premium ghosts while the Excels broke in to understable too fast. After all of this experimentation I have come to the realization that I just want my KC Rocs back. Does anybody know where to get overstable Rocs? Does anybody have any disc recommendations?

A little information about my bag: I throw rocs for straight to hyzer finish up 300 ft. I throw Comets for straight to understable finish up to 330 ft.

My Icon Ghost feels like stiff pro plastic. Was the Icon plastic not stiff enough for you?

You could try a Firm Obex.

The white first run icon Ghosts are quite firm, and they have a lot of flex in their flights.

Stringbean, the plastic was stiff enough for me but I miss the grip of the KC plastic. I don't even know what an Obex is. (Dr. Seuss character?)

Jhern, that is what I have in the bag right now (white icon ghost). I love the way it flies when I rip on it but it doesn't power down as well as the rocs. I think that the Icon Ghost is staying in the bag, I just need to figure out something to go between it and my comets. Have you tried the Gravity Ghosts? Any idea when Protoge Ghosts are coming out?

The Obex is a Roc-like disc made by Vibram. It complements the Vibram Ibex which is their straight / slightly understable mid-range.

Jewdy said:
Jhern, that is what I have in the bag right now (white icon ghost). I love the way it flies when I rip on it but it doesn't power down as well as the rocs. I think that the Icon Ghost is staying in the bag, I just need to figure out something to go between it and my comets. Have you tried the Gravity Ghosts? Any idea when Protoge Ghosts are coming out?

I agree that the Ghost doesn't power down as easily (although my wife is sometimes a surgeon with it inside 100'). In fact, the Ghost pairs well with other Legacy discs, like the icon Clutch. Don't be scared away that the Clutch is a "putter," in fact the Clutch is a signficantly faster disc than most other putters, owing to its thinner profile (same is true of the Clozer). I would recommend pairing your Ghost with an over-stable icon Clutch, which powers down extremely well and is a great bridge between putter and Ghost. In fact, you might end up driving the icon Clutch off the tee more often than you'd expect!

Latest posts