• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping score, help!

Can someone inform me why Par is a touchy subject on here? What are the arguments for both sides?

I think "par" is a touchy subject because as someone already stated on many Disc Golf courses it is pretty much an arbitrary number of stokes assigned to each hole and has little to no bearing on the difficulty of the hole or the course in general. A par 3 hole on one course may be a lot more difficult than a par 3 on another. Heck, for that matter you can have holes on the same course assigned the same par that are way different from each other.

In other words there is no standardization of the par ratings. So for instance suppose I score three stokes under par (-3) on course A and you score three strokes under par (-3) on course B you could not draw the conclusion that we are evenly matched. You could not make any comparisons between us at all based on scores unless we play head to head on the same course.

It would be really cool if there was someway to standardize par ratings of holes/courses across the board then you could compare players more accurately.

That, and the convention among many players to call everything "par 3", regardless of length and difficulty. It's really a scorekeeping shortcut and misuse of the word "par", but it's pretty ingrained in places.

Then there are people who are really passionate about par, and how it should be determined.

The first group drives the second group bananas.

I wonder if the pros who play PGA events use "everything is a PAR 4" mentality when they are adding up their scores in the scoring tent at the end of their rounds. It would make sense and it would work a little better than when we use that mentality because I don't think I have ever seen an event on TV that had more than 18 holes in a round. Unless of course if they had a playoff.

I think "par" is a touchy subject because as someone already stated on many Disc Golf courses it is pretty much an arbitrary number of stokes assigned to each hole and has little to no bearing on the difficulty of the hole or the course in general. A par 3 hole on one course may be a lot more difficult than a par 3 on another. Heck, for that matter you can have holes on the same course assigned the same par that are way different from each other.

In other words there is no standardization of the par ratings. So for instance suppose I score three stokes under par (-3) on course A and you score three strokes under par (-3) on course B you could not draw the conclusion that we are evenly matched. You could not make any comparisons between us at all based on scores unless we play head to head on the same course.

It would be really cool if there was someway to standardize par ratings of holes/courses across the board then you could compare players more accurately.

it can be found here

That's what I use to change the par settings when I enter rounds and don't agree with what's listed.

The thing is with that chart, it assumes that disc golf tees are designed with a skill set in mind in the first place. There's a whole lot of holes designed to make sure the course fits into the park.

The other reason it's so touchy is that in general PAR is DG is easier than PAR in golf. Many casual golf players will never get under par for a round. But a lot of casual DGers regularly under par in a DG round. I know a giuy that shot -16 on an 18 basket round on an easy wide open course with every thing listed as par 3.

Just count throws and ignore par.

Let's talk about par, baby.
Let's talk about you and me.
Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be...

That's what I use to change the par settings when I enter rounds and don't agree with what's listed.

The thing is with that chart, it assumes that disc golf tees are designed with a skill set in mind in the first place. There's a whole lot of holes designed to make sure the course fits into the park.

Well, that and the extremely vague terms "light foliage" and "heavy foliage", with the implication that a hole is one or the other.

Or that length is the same, whether straight or with severe doglegs.

Or that it doesn't necessarily agree with the PDGA definition of "par".

Or.......nevermind.

Latest posts