• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lake Normon, NC

jchoate7

Eagle Member
I am going to be on vacation to Lake Norman during the first week of June. I get into town June 1 and leave June 7. My wife is giving me a pass to go play twice. I have it narrowed down to 3 courses. Which course do I leave out?

Nevin Park DGC - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3658
Hornets Nest Park - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8957
Brackett's Bluff - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3263

Plus, if anyone wants to meet up with me to show me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it! I know for sure I will be playing June 2 at sunrise (I have a wedding in the afternoon).

Also, while I'm on here if anyone has any places you would recommend for a pregnant wife, 1.5 year old, and myself to visit I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I haven't played Brackett's Bluff but I have played the other two. They are both long and technical. I have only been playing two years but regularly shoot right around par or under, with a personal best of six under several times now at the courses I normally play but these two courses and the other ones I've played in Charlotte are in a different league. Fun for the most part but if you're not long and straight or if you're just having an off day, they will beat you up. I came away humbled.

I don't live in Charlotte but visit once in a while. I would recommend visiting Another Round Disc Golf. It's a great place if you're looking for new plastic and a beer. Amelie's Bakery and Cafe is awesome for coffee, pastry, and that sort of thing and I think they are open all night. Really good. Rooster's Kitchen and Midwood Smokehouse are good places to eat, depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. I'm sure other people will chime in here. Have fun on your trip; NC is pretty great!

It depends on what you're looking for in a course. Nevin is a great course and challenge; Hornets Nest too, I presume, though I haven't played it since the re-design.

Brackett's Bluff is something different. It's a shorter, fun course, with an incredible amount of personal touches. So play it with one of the other two, for variety; or not, if you just want the best courses. It also may not be available for your sunrise round.

Brackett's used to be epic but he lost a significant portion of land a few years ago. I haven't been since the redesign but there's no way I'd pass up Nest or Nevin for it from what I've heard. Still a cool place though, especially if you want a fun, chill round.

Stumpy Creek is another good beat down option.

If you're on the northside of the lake, Stumpy is a must. You can see the lake from the parking lot. It gets overlooked because it's not a CDGC-run course, hence it's never in the rotation for big tourneys here.

I live in Charlotte, and my recommendation is to play Hornets Nest And Nevin Park. They are less than 5 minutes from each other, and they are both WORLD CLASS courses, in my opinion. I MAY be able to guide you through one or both. A lot of very serious drama going on for our family right now, but I'll give it a try to show you our best courses! Hit me up on Facebook if you don't mind. I don't always see messages here right away.

I have nothing but good things to say about Bracketts, by the way. It feels like a mountain course. Huge boulders, elevation, great disc golf. With that said, I'm not a member, I can't necessarily get you in on demand. They do have a time or two a week where non members can go At nominal costs. It's AMAZING the work that the owners have put into the property. If you have time and ability, do it. I can probably put you in touch with a current member or two, if you would like to go.

Latest posts