• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

law failed me again

cheese dog

Birdie Member
Today while scrapeing ice off of teepads i witnessed a jacked up truck with large mud tires just shredding up our course. The course grass has been destroyed by these punks all winter. I stopped them and called the cops. Waited 30 minutes for the cop to do nothing. He didnt even get their names. The cop and i sat there and watched them dig a hole to china because they tore up there 4 wheel drive. Come to find out without proper signage and city code nothing could be done.

Should i pursue this matter more? Our club is close to the mayor and park and rec but i dont want to go over the officers head.

I will never understand those type of people. A different breed. I just don't get the thrill of tearing up grass with big tires. It's one of the worst kinds of vandalism. Maybe throw a hand full of nails in they're direction so those giant tires deflate.

Maybe not pursue it for criminal cause but for prevention of these and similar events again. Push for the proper signage and city code.

Also I am curious, this sounds like a public park, which is public property. Property that costs taxpayers of the local community to maintain. Why does the officer not have authority to charge the offenders of destruction of public/community property? They should be held responsible for the damages done.

Not really going over the officer's head if there's nothing he can legally do. I don't know the details of your situation, i.e course location/jurisdiction, etc, but it sounds like what needs to be done is for you to get the local entity to put up signage, or make an ordinance or something to that effect to give the local cop the tools he needs to do something to discourage destructive behavior like this. Cop can't fault you for trying to do that.

*edit* what Viridisk said

Last edited:
Lincoln Park, Port Angeles, WA. You can see the basket in the background.

Attachments

• bilde.jpeg
    bilde.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 365
Thanks guys, after reading the whole section of our city codes for our parks , it appears that tearing up the grass is the only thing not covered under destuction of property. We have the connections and resourses to close that loop hole for sure. Hopefully a cable barrier , signs and a tweek to the code will prevent things like this in the future. That is the 10th time i have called the cops to do something good and nothing happend. That is what is killing me about it.

Thing is officers can come up with grey areas to rules all the time. He should and could simply ask them to stop it and leave or receive a citation for wreckless endangerment to themselves and others while in control of a motorized vehicle. Yes it's a grey area, yes it can be beaten in court with a good enough lawyer. But it boils down someone has with authority whether real or not has to tell them to stop.

We're all sorry to hear about yours and your courses' misfortune. Most of us have at one point or another poured a lot of time and personal money into making our favorite sport enjoyable for ourselves and other, sadly, there will always be ingrates that ruin it. But we feel your pain and so glad that you have what it takes to pursue the right path to alleviating this. Best of luck to you sir.

-Team Viridisk

Sounds like you need a video camera for documentation. Then go to the authorities or local news outlet with it.

I would notify parks and rec. If the course ends up being fixed they will probably be the ones who do it. They will also probably have a good relationship with code enforcement i.e. the police. I wouldn't be surprised if there are city ordinances against that activity and the officer just isn't aware of it.

Someone can turn donuts in a public park while driving their truck with modified suspension & mud terrain tires ALL in front of a cop and NOT get arrested & towed? That's some real hobo ****. Police would arrest me, impound my truck and take my license if I did anything like that in LA County. If the cops won't maintain peace, square off with them. If the cops don't step in then, move.

Sounds like you need a video camera for documentation. Then go to the authorities or local news outlet with it.

I did this for the dirt bikes and quads at Joralemon. Posted it on the local police and park FB pages. Now when we call, they come out and chase em off quick.
The offenders also do not like pictures of their illegal escapades posted online so beware of them confronting you for recording.

Better to work at changing the ordinance than having to resort to ordnance! ;) :thmbup:

Find your local city representatives and let them know. If you can record it going down on your phone even better. And to really motivate someone to help out get copies of the police reports. Send it out to your local newspapers and put it on any social media you have (Facebook still popular?).

I know that there will be someone running for something that needs a cause to get behind. Plus it's just bad form for your community. Think these guys live in the area or travel around to mess with other town's stuff?

Looks like you need some covert ops.

I am not much for vigilante retribution, but I am sure these kid's parents would not like their front lawn ripped up like this.

Find your local city representatives and let them know. If you can record it going down on your phone even better. And to really motivate someone to help out get copies of the police reports. Send it out to your local newspapers and put it on any social media you have (Facebook still popular?).

I know that there will be someone running for something that needs a cause to get behind. Plus it's just bad form for your community. Think these guys live in the area or travel around to mess with other town's stuff?

Most areas have a local news guy who does stories. This would make a nice one, local taxpayers on the hook for dooshbaggery by kids, while local cops stand by. Take pics of the kids, the truck, license plate....and then send it to the kids parents, school...

I wouldn't recommend any sort of retaliation. The smart thing to do is try to get the proper bylaw/ordinance in place to protect the park from this sort of damage in the future. If enough people feel the same way as you, you can make it happen. While this won't stop kids from being kids, it will at least give you some legal ground to stand on if it happens again.

I would notify parks and rec. If the course ends up being fixed they will probably be the ones who do it. They will also probably have a good relationship with code enforcement i.e. the police. I wouldn't be surprised if there are city ordinances against that activity and the officer just isn't aware of it.

I vote this ^^

Happens every year at Delaveaga too. Last year someone drove a car into a ravine too. The world is full of all kinds of people...:doh:

Latest posts