• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

League..Club?

corsicana420

I recently started playing dg and love it. I want to take it to the next level by starting a club or league in my area. I play with a small group of about 10 or so but see alot of people trying it out from time to time. I live in Corsicana TX and we just got baskets around early Dec. 08 but it seems to really be taking off. Any advise would be great. Thanks. :D

My advise would be to remember ....put yourself in other people's shoes.

Not all can afford what others can...keep the fees low enough to pay YOUR costs. Some people just want "the experience" of a league format, and are not there to win $$$$.

Don't set the course up for the (few) people that want the most challenging layout... you are trying to get new people interested in the sport. Playing long tee to long basket is not going to give confidence to new players. If pros want a challenge they need to do that on THEIR time.

Group people accordingly. Don't put the first timer with 3 pros. Make sure the pros understand that "league" is to entice new players. The pros must set good examples in sportmanship. Believe me this is a big problem. There is nothing more detrimental to a new player than to see bad attitudes from players that already have advanced skills.

Set the start time to accomadate as many people as possible. Consider staggered start. You only need a score from everyone, that does not mean you have hold up everyone for that one late guy.

Pay attention, and don't be affraid to change things. At times it can be hard to point disc golfers in the right direction. If you have a reader board, post a format for people to follow. This will help keep you from having to explain things multiple times.

Hve fun with it.

If you want to start a club, come up with a mission statement and some goals.

Many clubs run events. It is quite an endeavor. You'll need to purchase discs ahead of time, plaques, etc... promotion, staff, course prep, cards, scorecards, ad nauseum.

Just getting you ready for what could be around the corner. Maybe that is the cart before the horse, but that is a common place for a club to end up.

There may be disc vendors in your area already. Perhaps not... I am not sure, frankly...
but a good karma oriented vendor is a God send when starting events at a newish course.

Some clubs have gone as far as a 501(c)3 tax exempt status org with a bank account.
Why aim low?

Realistically... start small. Organize a local toss... or random doubles.
Have fun.

Last edited:
I have ben in th ball golf world for a while and currently im a superintindent at a country club. I have some experiance organizing and helping with local tournies and such. Im hoping its close to the same but with alot more laid back people!

Bag tags might be a pretty easy step while you're starting out. This gives the opportunity for members to have something to compete for in their rounds with other members, and you can run 'tag rounds' pretty easily. Around here we have two tag rounds every week, and you can see how you do over time, both in terms of score and in how you stack up with other local players.

Latest posts