• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning Lefty

Craton

Double Eagle Member
Figured I'd start a sort of record of me throwing left handed and see how it goes. I throw RHBH at around 430' golf distance and was thinking that I might start playing two shot rounds where I tee off right handed, then throw another disc left and see how that treats me. Right now the "lefty bag" consists of:

Soft Magnet
Beater Pro D Buzzz
Trashed DX Gazelle
150g Champ leopard

Once I develop some form, muscle memory, and strength in the noodle that is my left arm, i'll start playing with a few of my more stable stuff. As of right now, I can get the Gazelle about 180-200ft or so left handed, but it's wild. The midrange/Putter are actually even less accurate, so it's going to be a long, fun adventure.

If it gets windy, I'll ad lib with other stuff from the righty lineup. Just wondering if anyone else is going to try switching hands this season and if so, feel free to join in!

Seems like it'll be fun. I may have to switch to lefty after dislocating my shoulder multiple times and having shoulder surgery just last week. So I'll join you on your lefty progression with a journey of my own :)

Seems like it'll be fun. I may have to switch to lefty after dislocating my shoulder multiple times and having shoulder surgery just last week. So I'll join you on your lefty progression with a journey of my own :)

Sweet! What's in your anticipated lefty bag???

Haha no clue yet. Gotta let the right arm heal up a little so I dont screw anything up just trying to throw again. I'll definitely let you know when I get to it though! Definitely some 150s with this absolutely worthless left hand of mine :)

Haha we can definitely have a lefty round sometime! Once this snow goes away for good!

For sure. I figure this will resurrect some old beater DX plastic that's been collecting in the bottom of my disc horde. Haha, this could potentially be a terrifying endeavor, because now it's like I have two people to buy discs for. Luckily, my girlfriend is just learning to play, and when I get her stuff I can just use that for my left hand haha.

I have a local pitch and putt course where I throw several holes with my buzzz lefty, mainly because they're 160-190ft holes that are easy lefty hyzers.

While practicing one day i threw a couple lefty. I was getting good snap and rip on the discs. They ended up going nose up so they didnt go very far, and after a couple throws my arm hurt from obvious strong arming

I can't get my feet right. I keep mucking up the approach. Other than that I can get some decent lhbh snap with no run up.

Weird. I have the complete opposite problem. The only thing working for me is my x-step, which actually carries me quite a bit. The problem, though, is I'm wildly inaccurate, because sometimes all those things click perfect, and since I'm using an uber beat Gazelle, she flips over hardcore. Most of the time it's just because of me sucking left handed, though.

That would be the ONLY reason for me to throw lefty. That is why I developed a sidearm.

I've got a fine sidearm. But I'd rather get decent at lefty for the challenge of it: it will help me see courses in a new light, understand what new players go through better, and save me from having to do this process if I do ever injure my good arm.

Seems like it'll be fun. I may have to switch to lefty after dislocating my shoulder multiple times and having shoulder surgery just last week.

I had the same deal back in 2004. I am righty, but throw LHBH and had surgery on my left shoulder. So learning RHBH during my recovery was maybe easier than you are finding (being a natural righty). But it was hard to get the consistency/accuracy. I still go RHBH sometimes, but only if there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I hope it works out this way for you as I was back throwing LHBH after about 4 months. If you have a forehand shot that will probably be messed up for good as they tighten things up so much you go sort of dinosaur since you can't reach back on your FH (maybe you'll do your physical therapy better than I did mine).

Good luck and good recovery......and enjoy your left handedness!

This is something I'm gonna consider next year after another season of throwing righty under my belt. Think about how intimidating it might be to opponents in a tournament if you could throw righty and lefty, both backhand and forehand, and very proficiently!!!!!

Due to right arm injury (primary RHBH...)

I've thrown 5 or 6 lefty rounds. I settled on using only a beat in DX Roc for the purpose of building some consistency. I am using standstill short-reachback throws to try to get a feel for the snap, but it just hasn't happened yet for lefty.

Good news is I'm not noob arming it--I had enough experience training righty to get past that rather quickly. However, I have not been able to eliminate an off-axis torque or anhyzer release that causes most of my shots to turn left.

Golf distance = I'll give it maybe 50 feet. Sinkable layup to the pin is questionable from this distance, but hitting the fairway is doable
Max distance = maybe 200 feet, but damn are the results unpredictable

I don't plan on really continuing with this... I feel like RHFH will become a far more viable set of shots to learn once righty is healthy again.

How dumb does it make you feel going from right to left when your throwing? I feel like I ride the small bus when I throw lefty.

What helps me with the lefty-switch X-Step is actually just making myself walk it and then throwing. This way I'm building up the coordination, even if I'm not doing anything to add to my throw. It also has helped me with timing of my release, because I'm so used to that point in the X-step right handed when I need to let go, that it's helping give me a world of better throws- as much as I can say "better" for what I'm doing out there.

I agree, when I switch, I feel like I am completely a different person. But its fun and I can feel the wheels in my brain spinning as they try to figure it out. I can't wait until I can consistently hit 250' or so and then courses will be double as enjoyable as they were before!

I learned to throw lefty from playing Ultimate. Definitely nice to be able to at least throw approaches Oppo!