• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legal or not?

From experience, I can tell you that there generally is a significant advantage to throwing from a tree.

From Experience, If you are well versed in throwing from up in a tree... Im not really worried about your dominating performance! :D

From experience, I can tell you that there generally is a significant advantage to throwing from a tree.

Basically what Tpro said, but you still have piqued my curiosity. How is it "significantly" advantageous to throw from a tree?

Tall trees are above foilage. Evergreens are easier to reach around the branches the higher you go. The trunk could be smaller, or even dissappear (like in the video).

Just looking at the video, he didn't have to throw around anything; he would have if he had played behind the tree on the ground.

Tall trees are above foilage. Evergreens are easier to reach around the branches the higher you go. The trunk could be smaller, or even dissappear (like in the video).

Just looking at the video, he didn't have to throw around anything; he would have if he had played behind the tree on the ground.

Also looking at the video, it's clear he had zero room to run up, zero room to follow through or even pivot, so his throw was doomed to be rather limited in distance, trajectory and/or accuracy...probably comparable to a throw from the ground directly behind the tree. So I think the "advantage" is probably negligible.

As for climbing other trees and throwing out of them, I can't imagine they'd be any more ideal than what the guy in the video had, which was a relatively flat surface that he could get both feet planted on for balance behind the mark. It was an extra tall stump from what I can tell. Most discs I've seen suspended in trees tend to be resting on branches that couldn't support the weight of one's bag, let alone a human being. So under the rule book definition, said branch could not qualify as a playing surface and one could not throw a shot while standing, or attempting to stand on it.

Not legal without express indication from the TD in advance that "places in trees where players could take a legal stance" can optionally be declared a playing surface.

Why "in advance"?

Why couldn't he play it as a provisional and get a ruling later?

TD shouldn't be put in the position of deciding whether something is a playing surface during the round, just informing players that indeed the course rules have always had that area as a playing surface or the tournament sheet indicated it or it was announced at the players' meeting. For example, the TD doesn't decide if a pond is OB or not during a round. It's pre-determined before the round.

a guy threw a shot out of a tree and parked it and we're all bickering about if it was legal or not...

that **** was badass i want to land in a big ass tree and throw from there now. who the hell cares if it was legal or not.

If the tournament sheet at the event I'm at this weekend doesn't specify the ground as a playing surface, what should I do, Chuck? Ask the TD at the player meeting? I mean, I don't want to have to bring it up to him for clarification after my first throw lands on the ground and I'm unsure how to proceed. :rolleyes:

You might think I'm joking, but IMO, either you have to identify all playing surfaces ahead of time or you specify none of them and let the players use their judgment and the rule book to make the call. OB has to be specified ahead of time because there are no rule book guidelines designating what is or isn't an OB area. The rule book defines playing surface so that any player, at any time, can identify what is and isn't a playing surface. There's no need for a TD to identify specific surfaces as playing surfaces prior to play beginning.

So a TD must know every single place/object on the course that could constitute a questionable lie? What about mountain courses where there are literally hundreds to thousands of trees on a given course? Or in my previous example of Diamond X, every single rock/boulder/object on the entire course that you could land on and play from? That is like saying that a TD needs to know the exact answer to every questionable call that could come up during the tournament before hand. In the OP's video, I would say if there was question, throw a provisional and let the TD decide after.

The TD only needs to specify playing surfaces not commonly known to be playing surfaces. The ground and surfaces designed for people walk on such as bridges are playing surfaces by default in the rules definition. Places in trees are not default playing surfaces even if there are spots in them where a player can take a legal stance. The TD needs to specify before the round where those special playing surfaces are located. A common one might be allowing play from the top of the concrete picnic tables. A TD doesn't make that determination during the round just like they don't specify a mando drop zone they forgot to mark or an OB area they forgot to identify before the round started.

Last edited:
I saw on ESPN that a ball golfer climbed a tree and hit the ball out of it at a recent tournament.

I saw on ESPN that a ball golfer climbed a tree and hit the ball out of it at a recent tournament.

Sergio Garcia. Amazing shot. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jORLiU7Ak

Ball golf do not really have the same problem with defining playing surface vs not playing surface, as their balls rarely get stuck above ground like that - while it is something we have to deal with regularly.

Local rules are usually in play, in ball golf, if it is something that is somewhat likely to happen at specific spots.

In this specific case Garcia would have had to take a drop with penalty backwards on the line of play, had he not chosen to play it from there.

Essentially being behind the tree somewhere in 2 - instead of on the middle of the fairway in 2 like he did.

In golf, you "play it as it lies" barring a few circumstances such as casual water. Can't play it out of the tree? Take an unplayable lie penalty and drop another ball. I've played a ball out of a tree before to avoid that penalty.

That was a wild day for Sergio. Did you see the water shot? Discs golfers are such wusses with water always OB.

I agree and personally think casual water rules are more fun than always OB but I get no support for that position in my area. Around here, "everyone knows" water is always OB.

Even puddles that might develop next to baskets? In some places, if water was always OB, then a rainy day would change how the course plays drastically during the round. I have played from a very large puddle on a couple of occasions because the relief I was entitled to would have put me 10' or more further away from the basket for the putt.

Even puddles that might develop next to baskets? In some places, if water was always OB, then a rainy day would change how the course plays drastically during the round. I have played from a very large puddle on a couple of occasions because the relief I was entitled to would have put me 10' or more further away from the basket for the putt.

The locals here count puddles as casual water, but rainy days still strongly affect how a couple of the local courses play in regards to some small creeks. These creeks could be dry if it hasn't rained in awhile or full of water if it's been rainy. I know of puddles that are just as consistent, but I'm afraid to point them out because next thing you know the club will vote them as OB too.

If it wasnt a foot fault stance wise, and you werent holding onto anything that would otherwise nullify the shot in any other circumstance, i likely wouldnt have contested it had i been there.

(Didnt watch the video)

Latest posts