• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard Lust...!

Any one try echo star leopards? How do they compare to pro and DX?

Depends on the run. I had a bunch when they had the vertical stamp, and they were pretty stable and very high-glide. Behaved like my fresh Pro Leopards, but stayed there longer. I gave them up because they were too domey, and were out-competed for the "moderate amount of turn" slot by seasoned Teebirds.

I've got 3 Pro Leopards and none of them are the same. What type of Pro plastic does everybody prefer for their Leopards? I have a slick/hard swirly, softer/grippy swirly, and a soft non swirly one. The hard slick one is pretty OS. The other 2 I'm able to hyzer flip. None of the 3 have made it into my bag. What is the magic in this disc that I'm missing?

I've got 3 Pro Leopards and none of them are the same. What type of Pro plastic does everybody prefer for their Leopards? I have a slick/hard swirly, softer/grippy swirly, and a soft non swirly one. The hard slick one is pretty OS. The other 2 I'm able to hyzer flip. None of the 3 have made it into my bag. What is the magic in this disc that I'm missing?

I have a Pro Leo in the bag right now, and it is one of the longest-lived discs I've ever had. Unsurprisingly, I use it for heavy turnovers and rollers. It's an older, stiff, high shouldered PFN. Started off straight to fade with almost no turn, and now it just won't fade for anything. Perfect.

I've got 3 Pro Leopards and none of them are the same.

I'm in the same boat. I have three Pro Leopards as well, and they all feel like different plastic. 2 are close in feel, but the third feels like Star to me.

I've given up on ordering online, and will only buy Pro Leopards if I can feel them in the store first.

As a beginner should I just throw DX Leopards or would Champions be ok? I have a DX but was looking at Champion and heard they are more OS.

As a beginner should I just throw DX Leopards or would Champions be ok? I have a DX but was looking at Champion and heard they are more OS.

It depends. How far are you throwing your DX Leopard? Are you seeing significant high speed turn from it? Is the DX Leopard new or beat?

My knee-jerk reaction is that you should be throwing the DX Leopard until you can routinely get it past 275'-300'. At that point, a beefier Pro Leopard (or an even beefier Champ or Star) might serve you well.

Be forewarned though... the Champ and Star Leopards are SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable than a decently worn DX Leopard. You might question why they even have the same name. I have some new-ish Champs and Stars that resist turn when I put them out past 350'.

EDIT: I'm glad to hear you are throwing the Leopard. It is a great disc to start with and still remains one of my favorite discs even though I've been playing for 20 years. Its very versatile and remains relevant after your skillset grows.

Marmoset's advice above is good, but if you think you'd like a Champion Leopard, give one a try. If you do like the Champ Leo, you will be set for a long, long time (provided you don't lose it, of course) as the Champion plastic will take a long time if ever to change its flight pattern.

Yeah, a Champ or Star Leo will behave quite a more stable than a seasoned DX, or even Pro. Very likely that once you got used to both of them, they'd end up filling different slots in your bag and won't overlap as much as you think.

Be forewarned though... the Champ and Star Leopards are SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable than a decently worn DX Leopard. You might question why they even have the same name. .

Spot on. I prefer my Leopards in Pro, but I still like my Champion Leos too. I don't think of them as Leopards though...for me, they are a milder version of my TL's.

I have a Pro Leopard that is more beefy than my champ Eagles. I've been making it my mission to hit as many trees as possible with it :p I'm going on week 3 and it's still stable!!

It depends. How far are you throwing your DX Leopard? Are you seeing significant high speed turn from it? Is the DX Leopard new or beat?

My knee-jerk reaction is that you should be throwing the DX Leopard until you can routinely get it past 275'-300'. At that point, a beefier Pro Leopard (or an even beefier Champ or Star) might serve you well.

Be forewarned though... the Champ and Star Leopards are SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable than a decently worn DX Leopard. You might question why they even have the same name. I have some new-ish Champs and Stars that resist turn when I put them out past 350'.

EDIT: I'm glad to hear you are throwing the Leopard. It is a great disc to start with and still remains one of my favorite discs even though I've been playing for 20 years. Its very versatile and remains relevant after your skillset grows.

Started playing a few months back. I'm throwing a 166g Leopard about 200ft according to Udisc tracking. Tried a Star plastic Leopard in the same weight but it dumps hard left. According to the feedback I got on my form, I'm throwing nose up so that might be part of the issue. I will just keep throwing the DX until I get gain some distance.

Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold? I play on some heavily wooded course and I'm not sure if that will affect flight when hitting some of the trees.

Last edited:
Started playing a few months back. I'm throwing a 166g Leopard about 200ft according to Udisc tracking. Tried a Star plastic Leopard in the same weight but it dumps hard left. According to the feedback I got on my form, I'm throwing nose up so that might be part of the issue. I will just keep throwing the DX until I get gain some distance.

Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold? I play on some heavily wooded course and I'm not sure if that will affect flight when hitting some of the trees.

You shouldn't have to rely on flippy discs for long. Keep playing with that Star Leopard, or find something very neural like it. Practice your form until you can throw it straight. Repeat.

You shouldn't have to rely on flippy discs for long. Keep playing with that Star Leopard, or find something very neural like it. Practice your form until you can throw it straight. Repeat.

^^^ That. Practice your form to get your best distance and accuracy.

As to DX hitting trees: usually it will be affected by hitting trees, but there are always exceptions out there. If you're playing in trees, keep on throwing that Star Leopard and let it take the hits; it will straighten out and lose that fade, but will take longer to do so, and once it's there, it'll stay in the 'sweet spot' for you much longer.

Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold?

I would recommend picking up a DX Manta.

I found trying to correct my nose-up form issues was tough using nothing but drivers. Drivers are more sensitive to nose-up than midrange discs. I played every day for a month with nothing in my bag but Rocs and was pleasantly surprised when I reintroduced drivers into my bag.

The Manta is a larger diameter mid, that I find has a very similar flight to my Pro Leopards...just not as far, and a lot less ground action. Figure the Manta out, and the Leo is easy.

YES. I highly recommend buying multiple, cheap versions of your discs. Then you can take them for field work (or a practice round) and be very efficient - throwing the same shot 3-5 times in a row is amazing practice.

And DX does age faster, but that's not a bad thing. It's even better if you rotate between them every round so they all age more slowly together.

And if you're in NE Ohio, hit me up for a round at Parma some time :)

I've done some searching but no luck. Here's my Leopard problem, and I know I can't be the only one.

I love Leopards. I love champion plastic. I don't give a flying #$%^ about Barry Schultz and his signature. Is there a remedy for this? All I see for sale on the major sites are the Schultz discs.

I've done some searching but no luck. Here's my Leopard problem, and I know I can't be the only one.

I love Leopards. I love champion plastic. I don't give a flying #$%^ about Barry Schultz and his signature. Is there a remedy for this? All I see for sale on the major sites are the Schultz discs.

See if you can find some Factory Second Champion Leopards. Infinite Discs sometimes has F2 discs (I have not checked to see if they have F2 Champ Leopards), and the Innova Proshop might have F2 Champ Leopards.

Well, you can ignore the stamp, or you can wipe it... I fail to see the problem.