• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leveling Targets

Major Tomahawk

Eagle Member
I like playing alternate or extra holes during tourneys. The problem is that when baskets are set out, they are rarely level. The basket crew are usually in a big hurry and usually forget that minor detail of leveling the targets. Would it be considered legal to level a basket before you putt on it? Would it only be legal if it was on your first hole of the day? Would it be legal any time during a tourney? I try to correct slider chains that are pushed in before I try to putt, but I've never actually leveled a basket except before the round begins.

I would think that altering (leveling) the basket (other than returning chains to their proper configuration) once an event has begun would be illegal.

I would think that altering (leveling) the basket (other than returning chains to their proper configuration) once an event has begun would be illegal.

Agreed. The rules specify that you are allowed to "restore course equipment to its proper working order" (803.01.B.3). I'm not so sure that "level" is necessarily a part of proper working order, particularly if the target was placed there without any effort made to level it. I think in that case, you have to play it as is without altering its position. Basically, you can't presume that it wasn't set up the way it is (unlevel) intentionally.

803.01 B3 allows for equipment to be restored to proper working order. I think being level would be considered proper. I know that rule was put in the book to deal with things like chains that were tangled from previous player, branches that got in the basket during the round, tennis court doors left open or temp baskets that got tilted or fell over. The word "restored" indicates that the adjustment can take place after the round has started. If you come upon a tilted basket, you wouldn't know whether it accidentally was tilted after whoever placed it there so there shouldn't be a problem leveling it at any time.

Last edited:
This isn't only a problem with temp baskets, there are plenty of baskets that have settled to one side or the other around here. You also see it on tour occasionally with permanent baskets. I know there are already enough things that TDs have to deal with but I think making sure all baskets are "properly" installed(whether temp or permanent) should be a requirement for sanctioned play... especially at big events.

Last edited:
If you come upon a tilted basket, you wouldn't know whether it accidentally was tilted after whoever placed it there so there shouldn't be a problem leveling it at any time.

My take on that would be diametrically opposite- if you don't KNOW that it wasn't that way to start with you should leave it alone. Just because it might have moved after the round began is no justification for moving it.

I don't *know* that the basket was moved during the round, but I'm going to go ahead and wheel it 15 feet to the right because I think that's where it is supposed to be anyway. Just ignore that 15 feet to the right happens to be exactly where my last shot landed.

Is there any standard or not markings that indicate where a temp basket is supposed to be located? If so... shouldn't that be part of the players meeting?

Tilted baskets are that way to make putting more difficult, with which side you land on becoming even more important. ;)

Is there any standard or not markings that indicate where a temp basket is supposed to be located? If so... shouldn't that be part of the players meeting?

There are for Majors, NTs, and A-tiers. Courses must be set up in their first-round configurations four days in advance of the first round of play for Worlds, three days in advance for other Majors and NTs, and one day in advance for A-tiers. From the Tour Standards document (page 4): "In the case of temporary holes and/or courses where targets are unavailable, the temporary configuration must be clearly marked for both the Tee and Target locations."

It would be good practice for B & C tiers to at least adhere to A-tier standards in this regard. It would at least prevent the sort of situation I jokingly suggested above.

I don't *know* that the basket was moved during the round, but I'm going to go ahead and wheel it 15 feet to the right because I think that's where it is supposed to be anyway. Just ignore that 15 feet to the right happens to be exactly where my last shot landed.

Meh. Why bother? It'll still take ya another stroke to hole out. :doh:

Now, if you could move it before your disc lands ... :hfive:

So if I can't level the basket, how much should a basket be tilted, before it is considered to have fallen over? Or How much "tilt" is acceptable as proper working order? Oh this basket is leaning at 45 degress against this tree, but I don't know that is was standing upright before the round, so I guess I should just leave it that way?

Levelling a basket simply makes sense. I have yet to find a purposefully made tilted basket. I would think that if one existed, it's upon the TD to inform the group that it should be left alone prior to the event.

Also, correcting a basket back to level is not the same as moving it.

That basket is out there somewhere. Awhile back someone posted a pic of a basket that had a pivot on the pole that would allow you to put it on uneven ground and level it. I tried doing several searches but couldn't find it...

Level on any terrain

picture.php
I have played several tournaments and this was used a few times for a temp basket on a hillside and an elevated target with the bottom of the basket at 5'. The legs are telescopic with countless configurations to make the target level.

...I have played several tournaments and this was used a few times for a temp basket on a hillside and an elevated target with the bottom of the basket at 5'. The legs are telescopic with countless configurations to make the target level.[/QUOTE]

Is that a re-purposed tripod or custom-built? Available for purchase?

Latest posts