• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Lifespan and durability of Elite-

Texconsinite

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Ok, don't hate, but I bought an aerobie arrow when I first started playing, and I use it all the time

Wow, I think I pressed a wrong key. Ignore the above post.

What has everyone's experience been with elite-x and aerobie plastics, because the discs I have in those plastics (avenger and epic) both seem to scuff easily, almost as easily as dx.
Is it run variability, or will they hold up with wear associated with playing on rocky courses?

I found Elite-X to be more durable than D or DX but less durable than the higher grade plastics (surprise!). I like the way it breaks in better than Pro.

I can believe that. Dont own any Innova Pro, but all the ones I've thrown or felt seemed really soft and floppy, almost gummy. Felt like it would roll up faster than an order at Taco Bell when it hits anything. No me gusta.

However, one thing i noticed, is that ESP seems a lot more soft than Star. I personally like star better. Waht have you found?

Elite X plastic is slowly being fazed out as Dcraft's "mid grade" plastic. It would be most comparable to Innova's Pro plastic, which has been almost completely fazed out by Innova.

Star and ESP (which stands for "extra special plastic", lol!) are fairly comparable, however they have a few differences, mostly in density. As you stated, ESP seems a little less stiff than Star, however in the long run, ESP seems to be more durable.

For both Star and ESP the companies essentially mixed Champion and Z plastics with the mid-grade Pro and Elite X plastics. Personally, I don't think the grip is better on ESP or Star than the pure plastics, but many people disagree with me.

In closing, Star and ESP are no where near as durable as Champion and Z, and in my opinion are not significantly more grippy, but they both cost more? Hmmm?

Feel free to ask me any other questions about discs or plastics. I'm pretty knowledgeable in the area.

-Ryan

In closing, Star and ESP are no where near as durable as Champion and Z, and in my opinion are not significantly more grippy, but they both cost more? Hmmm?
DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Star and ESP were blended in response to consumers (us) who wanted a disc that was a durable as Champ or Z, yet with the grip of Pro or X. In other words, we want it all. Star and ESP are what we got. IMO, the are very close to Pro and X. They have a pretty good grip, but the durability is nowhere close to what you will get from Champ or Z.

They are also tricky plastics to mold in, so the consistency is all over the place. Sometimes they are gummy, sometimes they are slick, and everything in-between. Add to that the fact that they are so much more expensive than Pro or X and I'm left with the feeling that the marketing folks at Innova need a pat on the back for getting people to buy the stuff. I know a lot of people who swear by Star plastic and use it almost exclusively, but I don't see it. If I'm going to spend that much more money than Pro or X, it is going to have to deliver the goods a lot better than Star or ESP plastic.

So in closing, if you are throwing Star or ESP I'd recommend saving some cash and throwing Pro or X instead. It's pretty damn close to the same thing.

What about FLX? I dont even know what to think about that stuff. It seems like it would be like throwing a soggy towel. Doesnt the feel of the plastic flexing in midsnap throw off your aim?

I've settled on a compromise. I use two main drivers, a 169 star wraith, and a 176 beat-up dx wraith
Star predictably seems to have a hard fade at the end, so great for tunnel shots with a curve on end, since it handles trees better
DX I can get more D out of since I can get it to turn over easier, and given enough space, it will come back a bit. Does not fade as hard at the end
Probably a weight thing, but the star doesnt seem to come back when i throw it with a bunch of anny
The heavier, broken in dx makes a nice big S.

FLX makes perfect sense to me. They make awesome winter discs. They stiffens up and retain great grip when it is bitter cold and snowy. Anybody who has gone out for a round in the winter, hit a tree and watched their disc disintegrate like it was hit with a shotgun blast will appreciate FLX plastic. That's why the disc company based in Michigan came up with it, and the disc company in California did not.

That being said, I don't touch the stuff in the summer. Too grippy, too flexy.

Latest posts