• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Light discs for small kids: Experiences and Questions

ghubing

I'm cross-posting this to Reddit and here in the hopes of getting some good info.

My son is 3 and he's obsessed with disc golf. We play regularly together (normal rules, full courses...) and he now has several discs of his own (in part because I don't want him hurting himself by always throwing my max weight discs). I didn't expect so much interest and perseverence, but it's awesome to be able to have fun together doing something we both enjoy at such a young age. We'll see how long it lasts.

I've been trying to figure out what the best lightweight discs for small kids are to help him have more success/fun. Here are some things I've tried:

150g DX Aviar: pretty good putter for my son. He can BH it about 15-20 feet and FH it maybe 50 ft.

155g Opto Ruby: not quite as much distance as the aviar, possibly because of the weight/plastic.

150g DX Wedge: OK, goes a bit further than the aviars, but doesn't glide much.

145g DX Teebird: too stable/heavy to get much more distance than the Wedge, but OK and pretty good for FH rollers

"Big Mini" 15cm 62g Buzz: actually pretty good, but my son hasn't really accepted the disc as a "real" disc because it's so small. He can throw it further than the above discs though.

And the big winner so far:

110g DX Leopard: this one immediately flew further than all the rest. His current record on flat ground is 40 of my walking steps (maybe around 100 feet!?). It's also the first disc he has started to choose angles with to get around obstacles, since he can get height on it and it doesn't just drop straight down at the end of its flight.

I have two main questions for you guys:

1. Does anyone know where I can find more 110g leopards? We already lost one and nobody seems to have them in stock anywhere in the world... US is fine, Europe is fine, any online shop would work.

2. Do you have any suggestions for other great kids discs I haven't tried? Ideally something very light weight but still "normal" disc.

Thanks in advance!

It is tough to find a good selection of discs right now. Here are some suggestions, though.

Marshall Street Disc Golf has some dx Rocs that are very light (111g - 118g).

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/dx-roc-2

They also have very light dx Skeeters.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/dx-skeeter

There is a company called Aquaflight that makes lightweight discs, generally in the 130-140g range. Marshall St and Infinite Discs carry some of these models.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/?s=aquaflight&post_type=product
https://infinitediscs.com/category/AquaFlight#none

1. Does anyone know where I can find more 110g leopards? We already lost one and nobody seems to have them in stock anywhere in the world... US is fine, Europe is fine, any online shop would work.

2. Do you have any suggestions for other great kids discs I haven't tried? Ideally something very light weight but still "normal" disc.

Thanks in advance!

The Rocs from Marshall Street are a good choice. I have gotten very lightweight Rocs for kids from ages 3-8 and they worked well.

If you use facebook, there are various disc golf buy/sell/auction groups on there and I have seen various extra lightweight discs. They call it "premie" DX plastic. I have seen as low as 97g but usually around the 110-120g range, everything from Aviars and Birdies to Rocs to Beasts and Valkyries. You can put up a "ISO" post and people will reply with what they have. There is also a buyer feedback group to search/ask for references if you would feel more comfortable before committing to buy from individuals online.

Last edited:

Try contacting The Wrightlife.

https://www.wrightlife.com/

They used to keep a box of premies (ultra lightweight discs) in the stockroom. I have purchased a couple of under 110g Leopards there in the past.

Keep an eye out for a mid in the 120's. This seems to be a great combo of distance and control for around 100' of distance. Discraft did an ultralight Buzzz run earlier this year. Legacy has also produced an ultralight Ghost in the past.

My 5 year old son plays full courses with me throwing a 113g Polecat (his fave) and a 137g stingray. I think I got them both on infinite discs. Discgolfcenter had a bunch of 120g options when I ordered his discs too. I only remember looking at polecats, birdies and stingrays. Gotta go gotta throw usually has a nice assortment of lightweight plastic too.

He really loves the Polecat, but can throw a mean little chucker flex shot with that stingray.

My son is 4. Best disc for him is actually an ultralight Condor. It's counterintuitive that a big disc would be better, but I think it's actually a more natural grip for him because the rim is so chunky. And it glides like crazy. He can throw it way further than anything else.

I've seen some D line FD's in the 140's, that might be good for him. My three year old rips a lightweight polecat forehand, and has started throwing a light birdie as well. He's not quite as far along as yours with actually plying courses but likes to throw stuff around the yard with me. I'll take what I can get and be glad he enjoys it :)

^^yeah, I'd even go smaller for a 3 year old. My guys throw Hero Disc's Atoms and 215 Sonics. Yes they're dog discs, but it's easier to find light weight Hero stamped 215s than Innova stamped ones. Also your 3 year old is going to get the 185s flying much further.
star.jpg

https://www.herodiscusa.com/lite-bite-combo-4-disc-set.html

Pick up a comet. It's essentially the frisbee of disc golf discs. Even at max weight, new players will find it easy to throw.

Latest posts