• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Loft Discs Hydrogen Putter

They are definitely deeper than Envys (and Maidens, my previous top choice putter). I will be throwing them finally tomorrow and report back. I use a "McBeth style" grip for putting and leave my index finger slightly loose when "ultimate-approaching", after real throws I will have a better feeling for their depth.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

I watched the video and questioned "So, it's a slower Aero?" I'd love to see a comparison video with the two discs.

I think it was disc golf nerd but one guy had some shots with a polecat for reference, pole cat was less stable but same ballpark. Made me want to buy a polecat more than anything :D

Gotta say the hydrogen in alpha (premium) plastic has been pretty awesome. It feels like the first disc that the marketing is accurate for. It does not turn without off axis torque. It will go dead straight without fading if you throw it that way. Even if you get it up in the air, it will not really break, just tilt a bit and drop straight down.

On anhyzer, it carries the break like a floaty putter. And on hyzer, it will break the other way and not dump. Like if you want something RHBH on hyzer that will actually carry left and not dump. This thing flies each and every way. Holy moly.

I shaved three strokes using it for approaches in a round, all actually under the basket from around 150 and in.

The best part - playing catch with it

I can confirm this. Having thrown both the premium and "putter plastic" versions on full throws now, they resist turn very well. The premium version is a bit more stable, both are nearly as torque-resistant as Maidens.

They feel deeper than Maidens (and deeper than Envys as well), but not too deep. I can comfortably power grip them, they are close to P2s depth-wise.

They do fly really really straight, not fading much. They are between Bergs and Maidens in distance, definitely a lot longer than Bergs.

Really impressive is also the controllability of short approaches. Distance is easy to gauge and due to the non-fade it's easy to run baskets with nose-up "ultimate throws". When approaching with anhyzers, you need to be careful though. Because of not fading much even at low speeds, they can turn into rollers :D

Great disc, I'm happy :)

I finally got my two disc packet. I'm impressed. They hold anhyzer approach so well and with so little effort and still they are stable when thrown flat or with hyzer. I think that this mold could revolutionize my backhand approaches.

I finally got my two disc packet. I'm impressed. They hold anhyzer approach so well and with so little effort and still they are stable when thrown flat or with hyzer. I think that this mold could revolutionize my backhand approaches.

If they hold anhyzer, do they still pan out? do they cutroll?

If they hold anhyzer, do they still pan out? do they cutroll?
Much hold, such cutroll. They only ever pan out if thrown softly and nose-up.
Good for straight or hyzer approaches, very touchy for anhyzers (can be a good thing for line shaping though).

Much hold, such cutroll. They only ever pan out if thrown softly and nose-up.
Good for straight or hyzer approaches, very touchy for anhyzers (can be a good thing for line shaping though).

Thx, good to know.

idk. early vibe on a bunch of fieldwork today was that I'd rather keep throwing my Berg and Banger. It's a fine disc.

What really turns me off is how tall the disc is. For my hand/fingers it doesn't gel. Feels like it would be ideal for an NFL lineman. On a forehand I just can't keep it from worm-burning bc of the tall thin rim. On a backhand it's ... still uncomfortable. The flight characteristic are great, so if this disc feels good in your hand, you might have a new BFF.

As a putter, I think it's top tier. As an approach disc I'm a ways away from risking it on the course.

I May be in Love

I bagged my Loft Hydrogen for my last few rounds. It's too early to tell, but I may be in love. It just seems to do exactly what you want it to.

I nearly threw in from around 80' uphill on my very first upshot with the Hydrogen. My next throw with it, I canned a 100' low ceiling airbounce.

If the Habit (Zeppelin) and the Berg made a baby, it would be the Hydrogen.

It feels and flies kinda like a slower, straighter Habit. If you give it a lot of air, it still goes nearly as far as the habit, it just gets there much more slowly. The Habit likes to drift right for me on a straight throw, the Hydrogen just goes dead straight and then falls down straight more than fades.

Like the Berg, but unlike the Habit, the Hydrogen doesn't seem to punish you much when you run and miss an upshot as it glides less and flies more slowly.

I'll need to practice the anny with it. It really likes going straight. It seems to want a more distinct anny release rather than the baby anny I give the Habit.

I don't mind the backhand feel at all, but I'll likely never forehand it.

The Hydrogen ate the Habit slot in my bag. Not sure if it will eat the Berg slot or now. I could see a world that they coexist though.

If you grew up throwing lids and want something that kinda feels and flies that way, but can handle some torque, this might be a good disc for you.

TLDR: the Loft Hydrogen is trash. Don't buy it, but if you already did, send them to me for proper disposal. :D

I was able to throw a friend's the other day. I don't think they made a putter that doesn't fade out so much as they made a putter that drops to the ground before it has a chance to fade out. Very low glide, could work well as an approach disc if you have trouble controlling the speed on straight putter shots.

I was able to throw a friend's the other day. I don't think they made a putter that doesn't fade out so much as they made a putter that drops to the ground before it has a chance to fade out. Very low glide, could work well as an approach disc if you have trouble controlling the speed on straight putter shots.

so at low speed it loses glide? It has high speed glide HSG but little low speed glide LSG...a new flight metric!

If the Habit (Zeppelin) and the Berg made a baby, it would be the Hydrogen.

Look... our little Berg is growing up and making babies! :D

I might have issues with the rim size as I tend to like shallow disc... but I am looking forward to trying one out! A Bergish disc with no fade could help out a lot with my local courses.

I've been throwing a Hydrogen when I practice or play catch. With all of the Polecat hysteria lately, I just keep thinking that the Hydrogen is the modern version of your traditional lid. I'm sure there are some old school Polecat purists, but it's nice to have a 1 speed that actually feels like a golf disc. Still very much a deep dish so not for everyone.

It's definitely got some glide, but like someone else said, it kind of just falls out of the sky at the end of its flight. The A-solid is neutral/stable at slow speeds but if you put too much pop on it, it'll turn over. My thrower Firefly is beat into perfection, so I don't see the Hydrogen making the bag soon, but it's fun to throw.

Has anyone compared their Hydrogen to a Glitch? Looking at the specs, the Glitch isn't quite as tall, so I'm guessing it feels a little less clunky in the hand. My Hydrogen is currently shelved because of the success I've had with the Nexus Aviar on touch backhand approaches, but the Glitch still sounds intriguing.

Has anyone compared their Hydrogen to a Glitch? Looking at the specs, the Glitch isn't quite as tall, so I'm guessing it feels a little less clunky in the hand. My Hydrogen is currently shelved because of the success I've had with the Nexus Aviar on touch backhand approaches, but the Glitch still sounds intriguing.

Glitch is considerably shallower. Not a shallow putter by any means but the shallowest lid I've thrown.

Funny this got bumped, a friend gave me some Hydrogens (1 base 1 primo) and I threw them twice and kind of disregarded them. Busted them out to play catch to warm up this past weekend and they're kind of blowing my mind. I was throwing them in very stiff headwinds and they didn't turn over one bit?
They're just locked on to straight flight no matter what, it's weird. Like I'd expect such a slow lid-like disc to get eaten up by the wind and it's just weirdly unaffected, I don't get it. They're threatening to sneak into the bag over my beloved PA4s

Latest posts