• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Lofty Golf" Producing DG Par & Putting Challenges?

Disagree, IMO there should be no circle, keep it stupid simple. How much paint do you want to waste drawing that massive circle or how much time is it going to waste to step off?

Ball golfers can Happy Gilmore their putts and walk them in from contact, why are people trying to restrict movement and athleticism from disc golf?

I agree with this espescially on the fairway. As long as you finish your shot and establish your balance in a reasonable area behind your lie that should be good enough. I only play a few tourneys a year and trying to consciously get my plant foot behind my marker is pretty difficult during the shot.

Disagree, IMO there should be no circle, keep it stupid simple. How much paint do you want to waste drawing that massive circle or how much time is it going to waste to step off?

Ball golfers can Happy Gilmore their putts and walk them in from contact, why are people trying to restrict movement and athleticism from disc golf?

Running slam dunks or falling layups to basically rest it in? I just think within 15' weird shenanigans could develop. At the same time though, 15' putts shouldn't really need any strange techniques.

The only time the circle affects me is if I'm pinned behind a tree or with some weird footing/kneeling so I'd like to fall forward. I don't have a problem with step putts in a controlled motion, if I thought they were better I would use them. I just don't like when people step, leave their "marker foot" off the ground, and then release the disc.

Sink bricks or other more attractive markers in a circle instead, you don't need to have a full ring just spaced every couple of meters or so. Easy to mow over and keep clear and give a permanent circle without work each tournament.

There is something about the circle that appeals to a lot of people aesthetically.

It also amazes me now to hear how many people out on the course are marking down their stats on the scorecard apps. "So, I was missed fairway, Fairway, then circle 2 missed putt made it from circle one" They don't even give their score half the time to each other just a story of the hole! I'm standing there thinking, "um, I got a two, what does that do?"

A lot of us here are longer time players. Start listening to the newer players that have started playing with Youtube videos and scorecard apps, it really is fascinating how the things they use/watch effect them and their approach to the game. I get the impression par is a more important metric to them now than it was to me when I started playing.

In terms of this thread I like the experiment USDGC has done on hole 2 (?) to create a more interesting putting theatre. I wouldn't want to see it on every hole though. What I did really like was the attempt to make the poles look natural with the ivy planting on them, the impression i get from most people is they want the courses to look natural, if you add unnatural elements they risk being thought of as clowns mouth style mini golf courses.

I'm certainly against the opinion that there should be a 10 meter clear circle around every basket. I probably tuck too many of mine into the tree lines or on top of hillocks as a result but I want players to earn each stroke they gain and the trees/hillsforce a bit more thought on the approach and then a putt under more pressure.

I'm going around to a lot of footgolf courses at the moment, a far younger sport than ours but it's interesting watching it develop. There are a lot of really bad courses out there and some really good. The ones that are successful have tried to make the greens more interesting by putting down logs and cut trees + other obstacles in and around the greens forcing people to shape their approaches or have obstructed putts. The greens look more interesting and players like the challenge. They haven't got the budget to shape undulating golf greens so have got around this by embracing other ideas.

Does anyone think the USDGC hole has been ruined by the posts? For me it is an improvement and cleverly done with the OB in front on the easy putt side and making the easy bounce off the back fence option trickier. (That it's a hole at a major filmed event playing across a parking lot that's used as a design feature is a whole different pet peeve...)

I'm not sure of the definition or purpose of a "putting theatre". It makes things sound too much like putt-putt. Keep it the way it is.

The only use I can imagine is on the 18th hole of the larger tournaments in order to accommodate a larger audience.

Last edited:
I think he means the "+2" in the "strokes to the green +2" part of the equation. There are holes in disc golf where if you score a three, you screwed something up. Those should be par 2's, except then you create holes you can't birdie and people HATE that. As a result, you end up (at least at the higher levels of play) with some giveaway birdies that drive you to the double-digit under par scores we see that you don't see in ball golf. The perception has always been that it makes us look bad and gives the potential viewing public the perception that disc golf is easier than ball golf.

And that embarrassment and handwringing has led some to make statements about how difficult it is to set par "correctly" - just an argument that there shouldn't be as many birdies as there are, because . . .

NEWS FLASH: Disc golf is easier than ball golf. Sorry.

Because disc golf is easier, it is easier to make birdies. The attempt to redefine par as a metric of course difficulty apparently stems from the failure to accept this.

Latest posts