• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long pants for summer

nstraz

Birdie Member
On Friday I played a round at a course with lots of long grass. After the round, besides a little sun burned, my legs were really itchy. It seems I'm a little allergic to field grass. I stopped on the way home for some Benadryl spray.

I think I should wear long pants to this course, but don't like the idea of sweaty cargo pants. Does anyone have a recommendation for light weight cargo pants for summer play?

Thanks,
Nate

Go for poly-based hiking pants. I personally like the prAna Stretch pants (third link).

http://www.rei.com/product/827076/rei-sahara-cargo-pants-mens-32-inseam
http://www.rei.com/product/810258/prana-stretch-zion-pants-mens-32-inseam
http://www.rei.com/product/828025/prana-stretch-zion-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

They help with ticks, vegitation, and the like. Quick drying, moisture wicking, and usually very light.

Also, I only buy the above when I can find them on clearance, but them with a 20% coupon, or @ Reioutlet. $60+ for pants is pretty far outside my budget.

Last edited:
What about long socks instead. I use soccer socks when I go to courses like that or if I want a little protection from bugs.

^this

I have a couple pairs of north face hiking pants that I wear when I'm playing where there's a lot of poiso oak or nettles on a warm day.

I refuse to wear pants in the summer, for anything. I should take a picture of my legs... we have a lot of thorn bushes at my home course.. I wear vans shoes and no socks, always. My legs look like they've been in a shredder lol.

I layer on the bug spray though, especially on my feet before i put on my shoes. Cuz **** chiggers.

I'll second the poly-based lightweight hiking pants. I typically opt for the ones that can be converted to shorts. They can look a bit dorky but I don't care because they function so well.

They can be a bit on the spendy side, but I've picked up a couple pairs for right around 30 bucks each at the North Face Outlet here locally.

I also wear them when I go hiking/backpacking in the summer, so I kill two birds with one stone. A lot of the gear I have for hiking/backpacking works double duty as disc golf gear.

^^ +1 for poly based "zip-offs". You can find them at most sports / outdoors stores - Gander Mtn, Dicks, etc. If your course has briars don't bother with big-name brand (northface, etc) since they get picked up pretty easily.

Columbia PFG convertibles or Columbia Ultimate Roc cargo pants
$35/pair.

I know a guy that likes to wear scrub pants. They help protect his legs without being overly hot.

I'm with Matt though, I can't stand the idea of wearing pants on the course in warm weather. My legs got pretty shredded on Saturday.

I'm with Matt though, I can't stand the idea of wearing pants on the course in warm weather. My legs got pretty shredded on Saturday.

I take it on a course by course basis. If I'm playing Idlewild or Osage Grove here locally, it's gonna be pants because both of those courses have some brutal rough that will chew you up. If I'm playing one of the local courses that's more of a park setting with fairly tame rough (Banklick/Lincoln Ridge, Boone Woods, or Mt. Airy), I'll wear basketball shorts.

Columbia PFG convertibles or Columbia Ultimate Roc cargo pants
$35/pair.

If I am wearing pants then I agree with KDFrosty, the Ultimate Roc pants by Columbia are my clothing of choice. Lightweight, durable, loads of pockets and very comfortable. :hfive:

But I also go on a course by course basis, I am not opposed to wearing shorts and actually prefer it if it is a park course or fairly open course. But depending on the weather I might just go pants to avoid the ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy/oak, prickers and anything else in the rough.

I'm crazy allergic to poison ivy or any of the poisonous plants that contain urishol oil, and because of such I only wear long pants during any of my rounds playing disc golf. Because I'm also a backpacker and hiker, as well as a rock climber, ane I have a tendency to buy Prana pants because they are so comfortable, breathable, and sturdy. It gets stupid hot and humid here in Oklahoma yet I always feel fairly comfortable in those pants. Check out this link. I know that they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for, and they last such a long period of time. I use them for everyday wear because they look so good, I also use them for all of my hiking, rock climbing, and disc golf. I have two pairs and they're just amazing.

http://www.prana.com/stretch-zion-pant.html?color=Charcoal

Another option that I use fairly often is shorts with knee high football/baseball/soccer socks. They're lighter than wearing pants and still keep the itchy stuff off, it's prevented a lot of poison oak and ivy for me (as long as I'm careful taking them off).

Go for poly-based hiking pants. I personally like the prAna Stretch pants (third link).

http://www.rei.com/product/827076/rei-sahara-cargo-pants-mens-32-inseam
http://www.rei.com/product/810258/prana-stretch-zion-pants-mens-32-inseam
http://www.rei.com/product/828025/prana-stretch-zion-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

They help with ticks, vegitation, and the like. Quick drying, moisture wicking, and usually very light.

Also, I only buy the above when I can find them on clearance, but them with a 20% coupon, or @ Reioutlet. $60+ for pants is pretty far outside my budget.

I love the prAna Zion pants. (second link)

I am super allergic to poison ivy and after a tourney in shorts and not pants, I vowed to never make that mistake again.

I have a couple of pairs of zip off pants. The best thing about these in the summer is unzipping about half the pant for ventalation.:thmbup:

When I play at my alternate home course, I wear jeans, even in the summer. Sometimes even that is not enough to stave off the thorn pricks.

What about long socks instead. I use soccer socks when I go to courses like that or if I want a little protection from bugs.

Someone reccomended socks in another thread. 1 day I went out in pants and the other in long socks. Havnt worn pants since this summer. To damn hot for that....

The beginging of this summer my legs go tore up from poison, sticker burs and such. Went with socks and helps with all that and ticks. I even push them down when Im not in the brush, so much better then pants imo.

Last edited:
Another option that I use fairly often is shorts with knee high football/baseball/soccer socks. They're lighter than wearing pants and still keep the itchy stuff off, it's prevented a lot of poison oak and ivy for me (as long as I'm careful taking them off).

I would agree with the cost advantages and try soccer socks and shorts first, then move to pants if absolutely necessary.

Someone reccomended socks in another thread. 1 day I went out in pants and the other in long socks. Havnt worn pants since this summer. To damn hot for that....

The beginging of this summer my legs go tore up from poison, sticker burs and such. Went with socks and helps with all that and ticks. I even push them down when Im not in the brush, so much better then pants imo.

^ This :clap:. When im going to a course i've never been to or where I know there is woods/long grass/extensive foliage I were crew sock or knee high socks.

T-shirt and blue jeans all year for me. I can't afford multiple seasons of clothing.