• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking to try a new disc for side arm

lilguykevin

I throw side arm primarily, and greatly enjoy it. Been doing it for a while now, and just recently got a hole in one at La Mirada, CA with my blizzard ape. I was wondering however if going to a lower speed disc could be beneficial to learning a better form for my side arm, then go back to the ape later. I have completely taught myself, thus i am sure i have some wrong techniques, so i am hoping a lower speed disc will help me to go back and learn. Any suggestions for a lower speed side arm disc? (i hear teebird often, but the reviews i see for sidearm throws are very negative)

My buddy only throws sidearm, he throws a Banshee a lot. He also has been getting good results from the Stalker. He also had to take a break from disc golf, he was diagnosed with something in his elbow. The doctor said it was from the constant throwing motion. Be careful!

Last edited:
My buddy only throws sidearm, he throws a Banshee a lot. He also has been getting good results from the Stalker. He also had to take a break from disc golf, he was diagnosed with something in his elbow. The doctor said it was from the constant throwing motion. Be careful!
I am always worried about injury, it seems BH people through out their back and knees, side arm the shoulder and elbow. either way if you play, there will be damage...

and i suppose as a follow up to my original question, if i have already been using the ape and do well with it, should i even be worrying about this... I do already own 3 different weighted side winders and an archangel and a valkerye if they are good options at all

Last edited:
I've got a KC Pro 11x Gazelle and it works real well for sidearm.The Discraft Stalker I've used a few times and it flies pretty good sidearm too.I've never used a Banshee sidearm,but I've heard they are good as well.

All slow discs too.

Firebird of course, then in fairway the Teebird and Banshee (so I hear), and a Drone as a mid. I think you should try your Sidewinder though. Mine turns into a roller when I sidearm it, but if you're used to sidearm it might fly differently for you.

I highly recommend putting in a lot of field work with your backhand though. It can be incredibly frustrating but it will round out your game and ultimately get you more distance too. There's a reason all of the world distance records have been set with backhand shots.

I highly recommend putting in a lot of field work with your backhand though. It can be incredibly frustrating but it will round out your game and ultimately get you more distance too. There's a reason all of the world distance records have been set with backhand shots.

I agree with this. When I started out, I could NOT throw BH at all, so it was only FH for me. Then I got tired of only FH as the distance just wasn't there so I threw BH only on just the back 9. Then I did it through the whole course and now I'm "rounded" being able to nicely throw FH (mostly my mids/putters for approach and intermediate distances) and my backhand for drives. It's a nice addition to learn the BH.

Side note, one of my first BH throws went at about a 60 degree angle to the right...it was bad. Just my 2 cents.

Seeing as it's a blizzard Ape it probably doesn't fly like a normal meathook ape, but it still probably has way too much fade to be very useful.

It really depends on how far you throw, if you max out at 350 or so I would say grab an Orc. If your max is closer to 375-400 grab a Nuke or a Boss, I prefer the Nuke though because the mold is way more consistent and when you buy a boss you can never really be sure of what you will get.

If you truly care about getting the best form, get a neutral mid or fairway driver and practice til you drop. It will be frustrating and you will spend a lot of time throwing rollers and worm burners, but when you finally figure it out you won't NEED a meathook to compensate for bad form and will be less likely to injure yourself. Also, find and watch every video you can about proper forehand form and practice what you learn. I used to only be able to flick with Banshee's and bosses, and while the banshee IS a great flick disc, it's not great to learn with because the overstability masks your flaws. When I started playing tag league, I played with a guy that flicks a buzzz for nearly every shot under 300ft. Watching that midrange fly perfectly straight with no OAT whatsoever made me realize I had a ways to go. Moral - Do it right and be truly great instead of doing it wrong and limiting yourself.

My drives are almost exclusively sidearm. My main driver is a Flick. Its VERY overstable and this can be a problem unless you get a good snap on it. With my noodle arm and undoubtedly poor technique,I can get my Flick out to 300'. That's course distance. Although it is wickedly overstable with practice the Flick can be taught to do more than simple spike hyzers. The Flick does not have much glide and generally when its done flying, it dies right where it lands. What I like best about the Flick is that its very dependable. Throw it properly and it goes exactly where you expect and want. Throw poorly it too goes right where you expect so its easy to find in the $hit. And its much slower than the Ape at about a speed 9.

I've had very good success with the Teebird thrown sidearm as well.

I think any disc flies well sidearm, just a matter of technique.

If you truly care about getting the best form, get a neutral mid or fairway driver and practice til you drop. It will be frustrating and you will spend a lot of time throwing rollers and worm burners, but when you finally figure it out you won't NEED a meathook to compensate for bad form and will be less likely to injure yourself. Also, find and watch every video you can about proper forehand form and practice what you learn. I used to only be able to flick with Banshee's and bosses, and while the banshee IS a great flick disc, it's not great to learn with because the overstability masks your flaws. When I started playing tag league, I played with a guy that flicks a buzzz for nearly every shot under 300ft. Watching that midrange fly perfectly straight with no OAT whatsoever made me realize I had a ways to go. Moral - Do it right and be truly great instead of doing it wrong and limiting yourself.

Great post.

To the OP: You don't need to use the most overstable discs for forehands, despite popular myths you might hear. I throw forehand drives about 30% of the time, and upshots closer to 50%. I mostly use Z Buzzz/Wasp/Hornet for forehand throws inside 250ft, Star Beast/Orc for most controlled forehand drives, Pro Wraith if I need to get one out beyond 320ft.

I like to use a really beat in Nuke OS for distance forehand shots, Firebird for meathook shots or a Predator for a little less hook, and for controlled forehands I use either a Buzzz, Zone, or Challenger

Destroyer, flow, firebird, FL, striker, teebird. The list goes on and on.

Latest posts