• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Loosing distance in cold weather?

Malawi

Par Member
Went out today for some field practise in -5 degrees( 34 fahrenheit) and really struggle to hit 400 feet that i could hit pretty often in this summer even more, even 350 was rough some throws. Looked like the disc was searching for the ground pretty fast. Of course this could be form issues but after 50+ throws it was kinda obvious.

Lets say you cast the exactly same throw power wise in both cold and hot weather(25+ degrees) how much diffrent is in cold vs hot air, if any?

I seem to lose distance in the winter. While I do think the air being more dense puts more drag on my discs or whatever I also think I'm just not as quick or snappy when it's cold. Plus, I move better in shorts and a t-shirt than I do in long pants and a jacket.

It's different, how MUCH different...it's going to be tough to quantify that.

There are also issues aside from casting the "exactly same throw power"...your body is likely behaving at least slightly different in the cold vs heat (clothing choices, how loose/warm your muscles are, your grip, etc).

We just went from very warm for this time of year (70F) to moderately cold (35F) and I'm noticing my best drives have gone down about 10% from about 425 to about 380-ish. The fact the temperature changed quickly is about as close to a control group as I can get...I didn't develop any new form or get noticeably stronger or anything in those few days. I'm not wearing noticeably more clothing than I otherwise might. My hands are definitely colder with worse grip though. The air also hasn't been significantly more or less humid in those days either.

Went out today for some field practise in -5 degrees( 34 fahrenheit) and really struggle to hit 400 feet that i could hit pretty often in this summer even more, even 350 was rough some throws. Looked like the disc was searching for the ground pretty fast. Of course this could be form issues but after 50+ throws it was kinda obvious.

Lets say you cast the exactly same throw power wise in both cold and hot weather(25+ degrees) how much diffrent is in cold vs hot air, if any?

That sounds normal. Cold air, footing, more clothing, etc. I notice that I gain about 50 feet in spring time.

It's pretty normal to see a reduced distance in the winter. Reasons include footing, clothing, grip, air density, and even how your body feels and reacts in sub-freezing conditions.

Additionally, these factors may affect each of us differently, but I don't think anyone feels they get the same D when temps drop below freezing, and certainly not when the get done to single digits or below.

That said, discing down in speed can help when you're not able to execute a good runup and X-step. Mids can result in better distance on stand and deliver shots.

It's normal. More restriction, more difficult to get warmed up, and another thing is less grip on the disc. I feel like the discs are less tacky and so you lose some transfer of power to the disc.

I seem to lose distance in the winter. While I do think the air being more dense puts more drag on my discs or whatever I also think I'm just not as quick or snappy when it's cold. Plus, I move better in shorts and a t-shirt than I do in long pants and a jacket.

34 degree is shorts weather.

Ultimately, footing becomes my major issue throughout the winter. Michigan winters often reduce us to standstill throws.

34 degree is shorts weather.

Ultimately, footing becomes my major issue throughout the winter. Michigan winters often reduce us to standstill throws.

Lol, there is always that one guy wearing sweatshirt, gloves, winter hat....and cargo shorts in the middle of winter. I'm in the northeast, so winter is time to bring out under stable plastic, head to the pitch and putt course and have some fun.

Last edited:
Lol, there is always that one guy wearing sweatshirt, gloves, winter hat....and cargo shorts in the middle of winter. I'm in the northeast, so winter is time to bring out under stable plastic, head to the pitch and putt course and have some fun.
I break out the more OS discs. If I'm gonna be less predictable - my discs need to be more predictable. Lol

I wish I knew how to calculate the difference. Generally speaking, lower temperature means higher air density and more drag which, all other things being equal, should decrease the distance of the throw. But there are other factors. Different discs are going to have different increases in drag related to their shape. The higher air density should also make them more understable which may actually make up some of the distance lost due to the increase in drag. The colder temperature may slightly change the shape of the disc giving it more or less drag.

I'm guessing, but I think all of these things related to the aerodynamics of the discs flight probable pale in comparison to the effects of the lower temps on the thrower. Just from personal experience, the first thing I notice in lower temperatures is their effect on my grip which, in turn, affects all of my throws adversely.

I break out the more OS discs. If I'm gonna be less predictable - my discs need to be more predictable. Lol

Lol. Predictable and straight are two different things ;).

We have a league on a short course through the woods, that is all the dg I play in winter.

I typically will try to throw flippier stuff between less range of motion due to muscles not being as loose, extra layers, and poor footing. I usually don't throw as fast of plastic either.

Not sure if it's because plastic firms up at colder temperatures, cold hands, or both, but it seems like my forehand grip is impacted by cold weather much more than my backhand grip. Might also be because the be only got two fingers in the inner rim with the forehand grip compared to four on a backhand power grip.

I typically will try to throw flippier stuff between less range of motion due to muscles not being as loose, extra layers, and poor footing. I usually don't throw as fast of plastic either.

Not sure if it's because plastic firms up at colder temperatures, cold hands, or both, but it seems like my forehand grip is impacted by cold weather much more than my backhand grip. Might also be because the be only got two fingers in the inner rim with the forehand grip compared to four on a backhand power grip.

I actually would have said the opposite for myself. My backhand grip feels much different in cold weather (I think because it's more sensitive to the pressure being applied) than my forehand. Maybe it's because I'm not that good with a forehand, but it seems much less reliant on fingertip sensitivity and more on just doing the same motion. My backhand also causes a lot more finger soreness as the disc rips out of my fingers repeatedly when it is cold which leads me to grip it a little looser so as not to end up with raw fingertips.

I play all year. Bag doesn't change. I try to stay warm with the fewest number of layers possible. While I lose some distance, it's my putting that's most affected. The extra layers restrict arm movement and I have to be a lot more committed to the putt.

I play all year. Bag doesn't change. I try to stay warm with the fewest number of layers possible. While I lose some distance, it's my putting that's most affected. The extra layers restrict arm movement and I have to be a lot more committed to the putt.

I avoid the cold and try to stick to 50+ degree afternoons in the winter. I usually wear a thin thermal and a rain jacket over that. The jacket doesn't impact my throws at all, but might be worth 2 or 3 strokes putting.

Pants make 0 difference to me.