• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Mega Thread: Post your lost disc questions and stories here.

I stopped even marking my discs for this reason. For some reason it makes me feel better about my fellow disc golfers to imagine their glee at finding an un-inked disc than to imagine them looking at my number, thinking "screw him" and then keeping it.

I prefer to pretend that my lost discs are so professionally shanked into oblivion that no one has ever found them.

I stopped even marking my discs for this reason. For some reason it makes me feel better about my fellow disc golfers to imagine their glee at finding an un-inked disc than to imagine them looking at my number, thinking "screw him" and then keeping it.

Funny enough, I just had someone text me about a disc I lost three weeks ago! First time for everything.:clap:

Brand new/second throw: Plasma Servo into the shrubbery behind number 5 at East Roswell Park. Spent a good 20 digging through to no avail. Deep of the basket, but the line was perfect. Will have to gather up candidates and see if I can't trade into another soon.

So about a year ago I was just getting started on my favorite course (imagine a short 9 hole course in the woods) with my favorite disc at the time, I go yeet it off the 3rd teepad, see exactly where it landed, but when I get there a few seconds later it was not there anymore, I was also the only one at that part of the course at that time, maybe what happened was a glitch in the matrix?

So about a year ago I was just getting started on my favorite course (imagine a short 9 hole course in the woods) with my favorite disc at the time, I go yeet it off the 3rd teepad, see exactly where it landed, but when I get there a few seconds later it was not there anymore, I was also the only one at that part of the course at that time, maybe what happened was a glitch in the matrix?

Yeah, it is weird sometimes. Often the disc has taken a skip, roll, ricochet... Wet leaves, downed sticks, tough bushes...can all cause deflections, slides, rolls and such. Experience does help sometimes in reading the terrain and flora. Smart color choice can help make finding those little buggers easier, as well. The best plan is to STAY ON THE FAIRWAY!! :p

Before I try to return this to the current owner I'd like to find out about it. Anyone tell me who this is on the stamp? Looks like he's driving a VW bus; trying for 1000 courses in a year (2008)?The original owner PDGA # looks like is 8307. This is Valerie Herrman of Namur Belgium. Member from 2004-2007. Any ideas?

edit: can't seem to attach photos. Stamp is "The One Grand Disc Golf Tour" "More Pars in the More Places Summer 2008." Long curly black hair & handlebar stash.

Just recently came across this thread. The photos below represent at least 30 discs I've lost on holes 8 and 9 my home course Munden Point in Virginia Beach in the three years I've played there. The two holes play along a river, and winds are frequent. I've played up to 40 mph wind with gusts to 60 a few times. Sadly, I'm stubborn and what is a dry poor throw, safe, and not happy with, I'm capable of pulling out a second disc and watch it sail beautifully into the water. At low tide it's a disc graveyard, but too much mud for me to want to venture out. I once threw a Pro Valkyrie into the edge of water at high tide knowing it may of lodge into some roots. Came back the next morning at low tide to easily walk a few steps to get it, only to lose it a few months later on the same hole 8.

Most recent disc loss a few months ago hole #1 The Blockhouse Sunnyside a Neutron Photon nip a cedar tree branch and deflected into the pond. Only had the disc for four days.

Photo on left: Is from #8 long tee. From the short tee in the foreground, I've lost a few into the river when the wind caught it coming from the right.

Center: Short and long basket #8 plays as a Par 4. The Peninsula is about 100 feet wide and shrinks to C1 in length and C2 width at the long basket three sides by water which is just 20 feet past basket. Most of my 20ish disc loss for #8 has been on this portion of the hole when the wind is whipping strong.

Right: #9 long tee I pretty much hit the gap between those two trees on the right. I've lost two discs hitting the left tree and deflecting into the water, a few more going up and over to the left of the two trees. I stay away from the gap over the short tee. A few lost disc from the short tee on a turnover, and a few more on approach trying to hit the dogleg left on a lefty turnover after playing long tee. The hole is a long par three from long to long, the course being open since 2005, I would say it's never been aced.

Tomorrows rounds wind forecast 20 mph with gust, I'm looking forward to it on the other 16 holes, crossing my fingers on 8 and 9.

Attachments

• PIC_2426.JPG
    PIC_2426.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PIC_2427.JPG
    PIC_2427.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
  • PIC_2431.JPG
    PIC_2431.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
On a happy lost disc note, my wife and I played nine rounds at seven different courses in the Charlotte area and lost a total of zero discs between us.

Now, she insisted on throwing a faded, translucent orange disc off of every tee and I bet we nearly lost that thing in the fall leaves about fifty times but ultimately we still managed to return home with all of our discs.

2022 has actually been a good year in terms of getting texts back about lost discs for me. Today was the first one of the year that was found at a course I had never played. always get a chuckle at those where people find it, don't bother to wipe/ ink over mine and proceed to lose it again.

2022 has actually been a good year in terms of getting texts back about lost discs for me. Today was the first one of the year that was found at a course I had never played. always get a chuckle at those where people find it, don't bother to wipe/ ink over mine and proceed to lose it again.

Earlier in the year I found a disc with number on it, on my home course in Virginia Beach. Area code out of the area, very common in a military community. The owner text back that he had no idea how the disc made it to my course since he remembered losing it at a course in Knoxville where he's from about three or four years ago. If only disc could tell their journey's. He told me to keep it, and I traded it at PIAS.

this happens to me more often than not when i get a call. VB to Knoxville is probably further than any i've had though! i think DFW to OKC is my farthest example.

I've had a few examples where I've sold inked discs online and the new owner lost it without wiping/ re-inking over, then getting a call back.

i've had that happen too and i've also lost discs far away from home and have gotten a call (Maine, Florida, California). furthest away i've ever lost a disc was in Bosnia (no course, just field practice) but i don't expect to ever get a call on that one.

I think I may have jinxed myself coming on the thread last night. This morning for the first time in three months I lost a disc, a G-Star Daedalus in the layered leaves at Bayville DGC in Virginia Beach, we call it the Bayville Shuffle kicking the leaves around. I spent at least 20 minutes two rounds kicking leaves including finding a Hex, that one wasn't going to be left behind. Three years, three lost discs at Bayville all leaves.

I think I may have jinxed myself coming on the thread last night. This morning for the first time in three months I lost a disc, a G-Star Daedalus in the layered leaves at Bayville DGC in Virginia Beach, we call it the Bayville Shuffle kicking the leaves around. I spent at least 20 minutes two rounds kicking leaves including finding a Hex, that one wasn't going to be left behind. Three years, three lost discs at Bayville all leaves.

Next fall when the leaves are down and you're thinking about playing there, hit me up.

I'll remind you not to do it because it's a pain to find your discs.

I don't think people search nearly as hard to find discs they found compared to discs they bought themselves which is why we get these calls from honest players finding discs with contact info on them on courses the owner never played on. (does that make sense?)

I don't think people search nearly as hard to find discs they found compared to discs they bought themselves which is why we get these calls from honest players finding discs with contact info on them on courses the owner never played on. (does that make sense?)

good point for sure. on the flip side when I get the random text/ call back about a disc I almost always think back more fondly of it than when I lost it. so I normally will try to get it back (these days I offer to cover shipping and then some).

First lost disc of the year Fission Wave into a headwind 15-20 gusty about 30. Into the North Landing River #8 this morning Munden Point DGC, beautiful flight and I was admiring it. I have a backup.

The photo was last month when the wind was blowing 35-45, gusting up to 60. Today's lost disc on approach for the long/red basket passed after the near tree and about 60 feet into the river. Almost lost a Hex in the first round short/yellow basket, but the branches saved it that you see in the photo.

Attachments

• munden 9s.jpg
    munden 9s.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 10
2nd disc loss of the year on the home Course Munden Point Virginia Beach, a Star Mamba 149g trying to turn it on a dogleg left around water on No. 9. A peninsula fairway with three sides surrounded by river. Fairway is shared with No. 8 and between the two holes in 3 1/2 years close to three dozen discs lost.