• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Madison, WI week of 9/10 - Advice please

Matt B.

Eagle Member
I am going to be at a conference in Madison the week of 9/10. I used to live there way back when, and played Elver a bunch. I am trying to find a way to get some rounds in during the week, potentially including a short road trip up to an hour or so away.

Had my sights on Wilderness in Montello, but it looks like the rain and storms have it closed for now. Currently planning on Vallarta-Ast and Hiestand at least. Any other highly reccomended courses within 60-90 minutes? Any other closures to be aware of? Thanks!

Go run to Silver Fox/Grey Fox. Great pair of courses, and very close to each other. Silver Fox is especially nice.

BUT, if Wilderness is open, a Wilderness/Zobel day is extremely tough to beat. Zobel was in great shape this weekend.

The Mad City open is the weekend of the 15th and 16th, there are still some openings if you're interested. The only two courses being used this year are token creek and birds ruins.

Go run to Silver Fox/Grey Fox. Great pair of courses, and very close to each other. Silver Fox is especially nice.

BUT, if Wilderness is open, a Wilderness/Zobel day is extremely tough to beat. Zobel was in great shape this weekend.

I hadn't looked at those, thanks! Zobel over Vallarta if I have to choose?

The Mad City open is the weekend of the 15th and 16th, there are still some openings if you're interested. The only two courses being used this year are token creek and birds ruins.

Had I planned a bit better, this would have been a fun possibility. I fly out on Friday.

I hadn't looked at those, thanks! Zobel over Vallarta if I have to choose?

I would just do Vallarta, but I think I like that course more than most people. Zobel is awesome, but it's a good 75 min drive. More if you are coming from the West side.

I would keep an eye on Wilderness. We are supposed to have a tournament there this weekend, so I am hoping it opens back up soon. If that is open, play it. It's the best around, no question.

Other options:
Evansville is one of the better 9 holers you will find (2 tees and baskets on every hole) - about 20 min S of Madison.
Janesville's newer Riverside course is cool, and there is also Lustig in Janesville. About 45 min S
Bird's Ruins in Marshall is 27 holes. 40 Min E of Madison.

Also, if it's been years since you played Elver, you should play it now. When the pins are long, Elver from the long tees is the best and most challenging Madison course. I am guessing they will be moved to shorts soon though, as it's been long for 3+ weeks.

I would just do Vallarta, but I think I like that course more than most people. Zobel is awesome, but it's a good 75 min drive. More if you are coming from the West side.

I would keep an eye on Wilderness. We are supposed to have a tournament there this weekend, so I am hoping it opens back up soon. If that is open, play it. It's the best around, no question.

Other options:
Evansville is one of the better 9 holers you will find (2 tees and baskets on every hole) - about 20 min S of Madison.
Janesville's newer Riverside course is cool, and there is also Lustig in Janesville. About 45 min S
Bird's Ruins in Marshall is 27 holes. 40 Min E of Madison.

Also, if it's been years since you played Elver, you should play it now. When the pins are long, Elver from the long tees is the best and most challenging Madison course. I am guessing they will be moved to shorts soon though, as it's been long for 3+ weeks.

Wilderness would be my choice for a road trip, it fits in well with some non-DGspots I want to check out. Probably going to make a Vallarta and Wilderness or Zobel day trip one day, and might be able to squeeze in an in-town round super early on another day.

Fyi it is open again.

They say to pick up sticks in fairways if u want to. Recent storms brought down a ton of stuff.

Played Token Creek first thing in the morning - had to leave after one hole to get a towel and some bug spray! I forgot to bring a towel and the grass was super wet that early, and the mosquitos were amazing. Literal clouds lifting into the air every time I entered a new spot. I enjoyed my round after that. Beautifully maintained course, a real testament to why I perosnally don't mind pay to play. I shot an 89 on the longs for the 27 hole layout. It's listed as "Main" on UDisc, but somehow the leaderboard has a 66 for the top score in 30 days. That's uh, really low. Signs have some interesting pars listed, and by interesting I mean really, really soft. I assume that is a County Parks decision, or an artifact from a previous era. Loved the boulders and other features on the course. Really wanted to roll some of those big grass fairways, but the lush clover and grass wasn't having it. The constructed island hole with the vertical logs was beautiful and well thought out, a fun challenge.

Spent the next two hours trying to get to Wilderness. Flooding and culvert and bridge wash outs had a few key county roads to Montello closed, so it took quite a while to figure it out. Had Wilderness basically to myself, and what an excellent course! If I lived in Madison, I'd be there often. Great use of the terrain, some more densely wooded holes than Token Creek, but some of the same big wide open grass fairways. I even found a couple drier fairways to roll. Legit par 4 and 5 holes, and some unique lines on the hilly terrain. Just an excellent course all around. Shot a 66 from the longs.

I also got in two quick rounds at Hiestand before I left town and really enjoyed it. Great city park type course with a sweet hill, some nice densely wooded holes, elevation and a few chances to air it out. Shot a 55 and 56.

I did also attend the conference. :)

Played Token Creek first thing in the morning - had to leave after one hole to get a towel and some bug spray! I forgot to bring a towel and the grass was super wet that early, and the mosquitos were amazing. Literal clouds lifting into the air every time I entered a new spot. I enjoyed my round after that. Beautifully maintained course, a real testament to why I perosnally don't mind pay to play. I shot an 89 on the longs for the 27 hole layout. It's listed as "Main" on UDisc, but somehow the leaderboard has a 66 for the top score in 30 days. That's uh, really low. Signs have some interesting pars listed, and by interesting I mean really, really soft. I assume that is a County Parks decision, or an artifact from a previous era. Loved the boulders and other features on the course. Really wanted to roll some of those big grass fairways, but the lush clover and grass wasn't having it. The constructed island hole with the vertical logs was beautiful and well thought out, a fun challenge.

Spent the next two hours trying to get to Wilderness. Flooding and culvert and bridge wash outs had a few key county roads to Montello closed, so it took quite a while to figure it out. Had Wilderness basically to myself, and what an excellent course! If I lived in Madison, I'd be there often. Great use of the terrain, some more densely wooded holes than Token Creek, but some of the same big wide open grass fairways. I even found a couple drier fairways to roll. Legit par 4 and 5 holes, and some unique lines on the hilly terrain. Just an excellent course all around. Shot a 66 from the longs.

I also got in two quick rounds at Hiestand before I left town and really enjoyed it. Great city park type course with a sweet hill, some nice densely wooded holes, elevation and a few chances to air it out. Shot a 55 and 56.

I did also attend the conference. :)

Sounds like you enjoyed our city! Thanks for the follow up!

Played Token Creek first thing in the morning - had to leave after one hole to get a towel and some bug spray!

Yeah, idk what days you were actually playing, but the bugs on Thursday/Friday were insane. Like worst I've ever seen bad, and it was the same everywhere.

That's some good shooting, too.

66 is course par at Wilderness long/red layout. And an 89 at token yesterday in MCO was a 910.

Yeah, idk what days you were actually playing, but the bugs on Thursday/Friday were insane. Like worst I've ever seen bad, and it was the same everywhere.

That's some good shooting, too.

66 is course par at Wilderness long/red layout. And an 89 at token yesterday in MCO was a 910.

I played Token/Wilderness on Tuesday. I left a few out there on both courses, but especially at Token, where I made some pretty dumb mistakes getting out of the rough on two holes. Felt like 910 for sure.

Last I heard, L/L record at Wilderness was a 57. I typically shoot 62-68 as a 942 rated player. If I could ever figure out hole 18, I'd have it made....

Latest posts