• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

...The Magellan bag is just the first drop in the bucket. Right now, someone at Academy is sitting around thinking "man, those disc golf bags flew off the shelves like crazy. What's next for us in that market?" ... In short, because of economies of scale, whoever manufactures the Magellan could get the same materials as a Grip/Voodoo/you-name-it and sell the bag at $80 with a marginal cost of around $40. ....

This is what I want to see. If Magellan can make the bag they just did for $40, they could easily make a competitor to Grip for $80. It might not actually be better than Grip, but it will be close enough.

At the end of the day, Academy, through its store brand Magellan, has the manufacturing and distribution ability to seriously undercut the existing smaller companies. Sure it will be a China made bag that is not quite as good, but for the significant price difference, it will be a serious competitor.

The only question is whether the market is big enough for an Academy to come in and expand the product line.

My wire frame help up about 20 rounds, and then I took it out. It was still good, I just had pieces in the wrong places and was bugging me. I have now switched to the corrugated plastic. I bought a 20"x24" sheet at home depot for $5. This is a MUCH easier frame to make. It s holding up very well after 5 rounds thus far. And with the extra plastic, I made a clipboard with a protective cover(plastic from a page holder) and binder clips. It fits perfectly into the Velcro pocket on the flap.
And I think they could make a Grip level alternative for $80, but they'd probably sell it $89.99 or 99.99. Just seems like a stores ideal price.

they were available for online ordering for a short period of time again this morning. i placed an order.
we shall see how she goes

I got to work on this bag and help Academy bring it to the market. It was a cool experience to help intertwine the market on a new level. The higher ups for sure just took a note of the success.

I did get word that more bags of the same run will be back up soon. Before Christmas for sure.

I played with a guy with one of these and I'm just gonna say it. This bag looks horrible. It looks like a sloppy laptop bag someone threw together to make it carry discs except laptop bags are built better. Any decent bag with quads is a better option than this bag. 90 days from now there will be a flood of returns and complaints on these things. This bag can not handle what we do to bags.

I would have to mostly disagree.

I have had this bag for over a month. Played heavy rounds and a tournament so far. It has done great. (I know several others who have it as well)

I would have to agree that it is a little ugly and a little too floppy but other than that it handles like a champ. With a little support on the inside (like a pvc frame of some foam support) than the support issue is resolved.

+1 for cookrite. I've had the bag for over a month as well, and it's holding up just fine.

Sure, there are more heavy duty bags out there (for a lot more money). I don't think this is what Academy aimed to replace. They were looking to make a cheap, affordable backpack-style bag, at a price point that didn't exist in the market.

I have played a couple of rounds with friends who are using the Magellan bag, and it clearly is a decently made functional bag for a great price. I certainly wouldn't trade my Shift for one, but if I was in the market for a backpack style bag and didn't want to spend over a hundred bucks it would be a no-brainer.

I suspect much of the negativity towards the Magellan bags is coming from people who spent big $$ on their high-end bags and are trying to justify that expense. I have yet to see a post from an actual owner of a Magellan bag where they flat-out don't like the bag.

I suspect much of the negativity towards the Magellan bags is coming from people who spent big $$ on their high-end bags and are trying to justify that expense. I have yet to see a post from an actual owner of a Magellan bag where they flat-out don't like the bag.

Kinda goes both ways though. Buying a $40 bag you have much lower expectations of the bag itself. So as long as it doesn't unravel its a good choice. While if you pay over $200 and it isn't perfect you're going to complain about it.

Anyhow, there are too many disc golf equipment cliques on these board for anything different or new to not get flak. I think its good that the more casual rec players now have a backpack option that really wasn't there before.

I bought one just to check it out. It's unused and available for $40 including shipping. PM me if interested.

I played with a guy with one of these and I'm just gonna say it. This bag looks horrible. It looks like a sloppy laptop bag someone threw together to make it carry discs except laptop bags are built better. Any decent bag with quads is a better option than this bag. 90 days from now there will be a flood of returns and complaints on these things. This bag can not handle what we do to bags.

Sound like you are describing a low end stripper.

The problem with the bag is that they designed the shape like all the other backpacks that can handle a ton of discs but didn't put the materials and strength in it to actually handle its weight capacity. This will be a short romance.

This bag can not handle what we do to bags.

I feel like by us you might mean me. I lurk here but I play a lot. My bag was delivered on 10/9 and I've put 30 rounds on it so far. I play in all conditions and on a rugged course. The durability of the bag so far has been superb. It does have some very minor wear issues and is not without its faults. However, for the money, this bag has gone light years beyond my expectations. So far I would enthusiastically recommend this bag. For $40 you can't go wrong! And judging from past experience, I bet I will get another 100 rounds out of it. Ill let you know in the spring.

Judging from your opinion after having looked over your buddy's Magellan it sounds like you might have spent some money on a tournament bag. I can understand this. If I would have spend $200ish on a tourney bag my expectations would be just as high for bags. I hate to waste a first post on this but I thought I could help clear the air.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. I hope it proves me wrong. For the record though I currently don't own a backpack. I have owned many different backpacks and am currently using a Silverback with Quads.

I have a Grip, Revo Carolina and a few others.
Bought a Magellan more out of curiosity than need.
This bag is not a Grip, or a Revo. It's not built like a Grip or Revo. To use someone else's term, it's an entry-level backpack. That's all it wants to be.
Will it stand up to two years of every-day play? No. In two years of heavy play this bag will look like a bag lady's reject.
That being said, it's a great deal for the price and should stand up to years of light use.

They have a few things to work out. First, the bottom interior plastic piece of the bag pokes into the back on most people. Not painful, but noticeable.
Zippers. Come on, spend a few more pennies and get some decent zippers.
Last, the bag is floppy. They need to change the foam inserts on the sides and back and make the inserts a lot stiffer.
For me, I use it as a backup bag. I have all my backup discs of my Grip bag in my Magellan. I modded it for free by using some throwaway corrugated plastic to shore up the back and sides.

If you're on the fence, just decide what you need before you buy one. If you're looking for a light-duty backpack, you won't find a better value.

This bag is not a Grip, or a Revo. It's not built like a Grip or Revo. To use someone else's term, it's an entry-level backpack. That's all it wants to be. Will it stand up to two years of every-day play? No... They have a few things to work out...

You are right, its not a Grip. The Grip is a $240 bag. It is the single most expensive piece of personal equipment in the game. Practice baskets, good shoes, and quality apparel are all cheaper than the Grip A14. The only things more expensive are course equipment. You could buy 6 Magellan's for the price of the A14. I'm probably considered a heavy user but I don't feel Grip or other $200 bags are a good value for the money.

I agree with your take on the short comings of the Magellan (I don't experience the back issue.). However will it stand up to 100 rounds a year worth of abuse? At $40 it does not have to.

You could buy 6 Magellan's for the price of the A14. I'm probably considered a heavy user but I don't feel Grip or other $200 bags are a good value for the money.

that would be a good poll... would you rather have 6 magellans or an A14? I'd rather have an A14... :p

I have both a grip and a magellan though... great bags for what they both are... there doesn't have to be an argument of what is a better value or not.

i too feel the bottom of the magellan jutting out into my back. but then again I was carrying 25 discs to do field practice with, the bag was just being quickly lugged around.

that would be a good poll... would you rather have 6 magellans or an A14? I'd rather have an A14... :p

Me too. :) In my option I think the market is going to correct. I bet we see high quality bags in the $100 to $150 range. I dont see many backpack users on my well played home course. Those I do see the most are the cheaper DD bags. A couple of the heavy tourney players have the Grip or Big Hyzers. I've only seen one grip outside of a tourney.

I think it's kinda like an agreegument. I have yet to see how the Magellan is going to hold up. So far so great but I still might just get what I paid for.

I believe a products longevity depends on how well you respect your own stuff.

I have a Grip A Series that I give a decent clean after every round. Nothing crazy, I just take a rag and some warm water and clean the bottom well and clean the inside compartment where I place the discs. I also just clean off all the loose dirt and sand on the outside. Still looks brand new and functions great after a year of solid use.

Another thing I should point out is that my buddy accidentally ran my bag over with his truck in the parking lot. It was full of discs and all of my stuff, and it's still completely fine. Not sure the Magellan could stand up to that haha.

Latest posts