• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Make me an Innova Bag

Billbox

I have too much tendencies to buy everything even though it doesnt help my game or my bank account. Decided to stick to an Innova bag since they are the most readily available.

Now here´s what I need. The ones with the question mark are the ones I´m still thinking about.

Putting putter (now putting P1)

Throwing putter: Invader
Overstable Throwing putter: Aviarx3?

Approaches: Toro

Midranges: Wombat3, Mako3, Jay, Roc3?

Fairways: Firebird, Dark Rebel?

Distances (I throw roughly 320 feet, so maybe no need even): Halo Wraith for stupid winds, Tern/Shryke?

Any help on fairway drivers? Do you think I need a Gator etc for midranges? Thanks!

I have too much tendencies to buy everything even though it doesnt help my game or my bank account. Decided to stick to an Innova bag since they are the most readily available.

Now here´s what I need. The ones with the question mark are the ones I´m still thinking about.

Distances (I throw roughly 320 feet, so maybe no need even): Halo Wraith for stupid winds, Tern/Shryke?

Any help on fairway drivers? Do you think I need a Gator etc for midranges? Thanks!

Toro seems plenty overstable. Would depend on feel preference vs gator.

I go with leopard 3 and teebird for fairways.

For fairways, I'd go with a Star Teebird and Star IT over an FD/Dark Rebel. You'll probably want a flippy fairway and a reliable fairway that isn't as overstable as your firebird. The Teebird + IT combo should fit those slots and will be able to cover more shot shapes than a Dark Rebel alone. As a bonus, they also come in a wider variety of plastics, so it'll be easier to dial in the exact stability you want. However, if you want to minimize molds/discs (or just really like the Dark Rebel) I think running with Dark Rebel would work just fine. You may also want to checkout the Hawkeye, which is very similar to the Dark Rebel, but available in a wider variety of plastics.

As for the Gator, I agree with Sethamphetamine that a probably don't need it because the Toro should be plenty overstable. I also think that you shouldn't really need the Aviarx3 either. I'd jus cover the overstable throwing putter shots with the Toro and another Invader in a more overstable plastic, like Luster or Halo. You could probably drop the Roc3 as well. Despite the very different numbers, I would expect it to overlap with the Jay in practice (especially a Champion Jay.)

Finally, with the distance drivers, I agree that may not be totally necessary. But I think a Star or Gstar Tern could work well, depending on the stability you want. Or, if you're looking to minimize molds, you could try running with a GStar or Pro Wraith to complement your Halo Wraith.

P1 is pretty much an Aviar p&a supposedly so I'd recommend trying some of those for putting. Beat up DX p&a, Invader, AviarX3 would be good for throwing putters.

Toro and Gator are gonna overlap enough to be redundant. If you throw forehands a lot Toro may feel better but that's subjective. Gators will probably be cheaper in the long run.

I've really only thrown Rocs and Stingrays for Innova mids. My friend carves up wooded holes with his Wombat3 so I can attest to them at least.

Drivers you could totally get by with Leopard(3) Teebird(3) or Eagle, Firebird, and Valkyrie. Maybe worth trying a lighter weight Wraith and Shryke but don't expect them to go much further than your Valkyrie.

Can i ask you: why Innova?

But if you are chosen manufacturer of your discs and it is fixed then i will never ever recommend an Aviar for a throwing putter at least not in dx plastic, if you need a throwing putter buy a star Aviar.

And same thing goes on in a midrange section, i'll give you a little example; go and buy a dx roc, it has a flight numbers 4,4,0,3 but in dx plastic those numbers are absolutely made up for some marketing guy at Innova, i can throw a driver to a 400 feet and when i thro my little brothers dx Roc's they are so understable that i had to put a significant amount of hyzer if i want that they fly, otherwise they just turn and burn quite fast when they leaves your hand. I assure that if you buy a star Mako3 or a champion Mako3 it will be more overstable than dx Roc, and it is like this quite a bit.

And what comes to a driver section,i think that Leopard3 is propably best choce for you, it is an understable but it is not flippy at all, of course it will turn when i throw it with a full send, but it will not burn. And when it comes to a pure distance drivers don't buy a Destroyer, it might be the most purchased disc in the world, but it is with most likely also the most hated dd at least when it comes to a newbies who can throw a 300' wit a fd, they can't throw Destroyer at this same distance,i can throw a grace at least 400' but when i try to throw a Destroyer it just wont fly it wil not take on any glide and it kind of just dumbs to left at something about 300' of distance. If you need a more user friendly dd you had to buy a star Wraith...

I'm not a Doctor and these are just my opinions... XD

My bag is very innova based as well.
Aviarx3 is a great disc. Period.
It can do a lot of what a Toro can, most days. And the Toro can do a lot of what the x3 can on most days.
The Gator can also do most of that stuff as well. Same with the Caiman. And they are both slightly better with getting more distance. Except for the Caiman is a terrible fh approach disc if you expect it to give you any kind of over stability when you truly need it. If you have the room you can carry all of them. Most of the time. You can get away with one and split the difference by discing up and powering down.
For a Roc3 or Jay? Pick one. They will do about the same thing. The Jay is basically a beadless Roc3, which at one time was the Md3.
If you want simple, and will do darn near everything nearly most of the time. It. Teebird. If you need some more detail. Fill it with an Eagle(x), and the Hawkeye.
More oomph, but not all out distance? And also the most under-rated approach disc? Roadrunner, Beast, Firebird.
Distance? Mamba, Wraith.

Last edited:
Lots of great suggestions here. I've been throwing Innova since I got my starter set back in 2010 and accumulated many ever since. Innova makes so many molds in varying plastics and weights to fill the slots I need in order to play competitively:

Putting putter: R-Pro Aviar (prefer the beadless, rubbery grip to impart a spin for spush type of putting)
Throwing putters: Star Aviar3 (overstable and primary), XT Dart (stable and secondary), Star Mirage (understable), Glow Champion AviarX3 (forehand only)
Midranges: Color Glow Champion Mako3, (stable and primary); Color Glow Champion Roc3 (overstable and secondary), Star Rollo (understable), Glow Champion Gator3 (forehand only)
Fairway Drivers: GStar Hawkeye (stable and primary), GStar Teebird (overstable and secondary), GStar IT (understable), Color Glow Champion Eagle (forehand only)
Distance Drivers: GStar Roadrunner (understable), GStar Sidewinder (stable for me), Pro Thunderbird (overstable), GStar Beast (overstable for me), GStar Mamba (understable and primary), GStar Mystere (stable), Color Glow Champion Firebird (forehand and thumber), Metal Flake Champion Max, Star Destroyer, Color Glow XCaliber (forehands only)

I mainly favor GStar plastic for my backhand drivers and Champion plastic for my forehands because of the differing stabilities of the plastics. I feel like I get more spin with GStar to get the extra glide and distance and plus I don't have to beat the disc in as much as I would with a Star. GStar helps me when my fingertips get dry after playing a few holes in this dry environment or if there's dew in a morning round. Champion seems to stand up to the torque I place on my forehands. Color and Glow Champion feel even better to throw...almost a more stable version of GStar in my opinion. Only DX I might throw is the Dragon to carry over water...DX is a waste of space for me.

That's probably more info you asked for but just take it in consideration when building yours. The dgputtheads site has a great disc golf flight chart that you can build to find any overlaps. I purchased a lot of discs through trial and error and this is what's currently working for this noodle arm. Now I'm building a rack to store the discs I don't throw anymore lol

I am more of a beginner than you, so ignore if you want…. I have a Greg Barnsby Star Roadrunner that me and my son both like a lot. I hear a ton of people recommending Eagle, but I don't own one yet. I have two Leopard3s - like if you throw them well, or don't crank on them too hard - they often flip into rollers on us lately, but I think from trying to throw too hard with poor form. Thrown well, the Leopard3s fly real nice - were my favorites for a while. I have an old Aviar DX, heavy weight, bought used for $5, and at first I hated it, but as I improved my putting, it has become my go to spin putter, especially from longer distances (30-50 feet). I am now keeping my eyes open for more used heavy weight Aviar DXs. A light Aviar DX came with my first starter set - we find ALL light weight putters useless when going for the chains. I found a Destroyer with no owner info on it, but I might never be able to use that monster. Sometimes I bag it in case I need to throw a 50-150 foot shot with a hard left turn (RHBH) - lol! I have a Shark - never bag it. Like my Mako3 a bit better, but seldom bag it. My son and I both seem to use putters close, and when they won't reach, I go to Leopard and he goes to Buzzz (I know, not Innova), and we just throw them slower. At least for now that works better for us than throwing mid ranges harder. But, I will never be all Innova - I love the Latitude 64 Retro Burst beginner friendly line too much.

I am more of a beginner than you, so ignore if you want…. I have a Greg Barnsby Star Roadrunner that me and my son both like a lot. I hear a ton of people recommending Eagle, but I don't own one yet. I have two Leopard3s - like if you throw them well, or don't crank on them too hard - they often flip into rollers on us lately, but I think from trying to throw too hard with poor form. Thrown well, the Leopard3s fly real nice - were my favorites for a while. I have an old Aviar DX, heavy weight, bought used for $5, and at first I hated it, but as I improved my putting, it has become my go to spin putter, especially from longer distances (30-50 feet). I am now keeping my eyes open for more used heavy weight Aviar DXs. A light Aviar DX came with my first starter set - we find ALL light weight putters useless when going for the chains. I found a Destroyer with no owner info on it, but I might never be able to use that monster. Sometimes I bag it in case I need to throw a 50-150 foot shot with a hard left turn (RHBH) - lol! I have a Shark - never bag it. Like my Mako3 a bit better, but seldom bag it. My son and I both seem to use putters close, and when they won't reach, I go to Leopard and he goes to Buzzz (I know, not Innova), and we just throw them slower. At least for now that works better for us than throwing mid ranges harder. But, I will never be all Innova - I love the Latitude 64 Retro Burst beginner friendly line too much.
Barsby Star Roadrunners are great for distance/tailwind, the ones I have are pretty domey so maybe not best for forehands but backhands. Versatile disc also works with standstills.

Great forehand disc from innova is champion savant, maybe little overstable out of the box but nothling like firebirds.

AviarX3 has 0 glide, so it depends on what you're looking for. If you want something that will reliably fight wind and get to the ground, it's a good option. I like the Rat in this slot personally.

Roc3 is a great backhand disc, but pretty touchy for forehands. Caiman is a decent forehand option.

Fairways - Every Innova Throwing should try Thunderbirds, Eagles, and Teebirds for the stable slot. I like the Thundy best. Hard to go wrong with a Firebird for the overstable slot. Understable is all about hand feel to me.

If you decide to bag a Thunderbird / Firebird combo, you probably won't need a distance driver if you're maxing out around 325 or less. If you go with 7 speed fairways, you might want some 9 speeds to act as your drivers.

free F2 Champ Roc3 today would be easy to build a simple 5 disc bag around. Just sticking with F2s currently available on the factory store

DX Aviar (or Invader, you pickem)
Star Mako3, Champ Roc3
Star Roadrunner (or whatever US Driver)
Star Wraith (or Destroyer if you don't have a spaghetti arm)

Latest posts