• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Make your own discs at home.

Questatement

Double Eagle Member
It's time.

Hobbyists and enthusiasts have been making their own beer, ______, etc. at home for some time now. Yes, it costs more than buying retail but part of the enjoyment is doing it yourself and having it your way.

Now we can make our own discs. 3D Systems CubeX 3D Printer retails for under 2 grand and can utilize PLA plastics for sizes up to a basketball (or Condor lol). The sources and variables of these plastics are growing almost daily but even with what's available now, you can pretty much get the characteristics you're after just as you do now buying retail.

Hemp based PLA plastic via injection molding has already been used to produce the first frisbee but 3D layering would work just as well. "High Fly" frisbee.

Anyone else feelin' it? :clap:

I thought that this had already been brought up a while back. I think the consensus was that the plastic wouldn't hold up to the beating. It would be so awesome though!

I wonder what type of copyright infringement would come out of it? You would have to copy a disc to start right?

I think it would best be used for making back ups. I just can't imagine the headache the pdga would have trying to approve all the discs if this became a fad.

No one would be selling these so I doubt copyright issues would arise and yes, they would be for casual play only but still, how cool is making your own discs?

BTW, you can color the plastic and basically build in a stamp that never fades.

I always love when I click on a thumbnail and it takes me to a different page

....with a smaller thumbnail

Why would someone not start a company if discs could be produced this way? You could get the pdga to approve it somehow.

I would really just use this for casual but it would be fascinating to watch a company grow from a 2000$ machine to a company like innova.

How much are the running costs for a printer like that?

Since they won't be pdga approved it is kind of pointless. Even if you manage to create your perfect disc - it still is for casual play only an might mess with you when you can't use it. And I don't think you will get better "mold consistency" with a machine like that.

But for a disc manufacturer it is a very good way to do some testing reducing the costs of "trial and error".

Why would someone not start a company if discs could be produced this way? You could get the pdga to approve it somehow.

I would really just use this for casual but it would be fascinating to watch a company grow from a 2000$ machine to a company like innova.

Starting with hundreds of simple sketches and moving on through 3d-printed protos, manual sculpting, aerodynamic simulations and tons of field testing, it finally ended up in molded discs. Some retooling later we were there. Although it took two years to develop, it still feels as if we have just begun.
http://www.kastaplast.se/product-rask.html

If you like to purchase $60-80 discs...yes. The plastic isn't nearly as cheap as disc plastic.

If you like to purchase $60-80 discs...yes. The plastic isn't nearly as cheap as disc plastic.
3D printing is slow, too. My understanding is that it would take hours to make a disc. They only call it "fast prototyping" because it take a month or two and thousands of dollars to get an injection molding tool made. Actually performing the injection molding is way faster than 3D printing.

Latest posts