• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man dies while playing disc golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chains lay silent, under shadowed moon.
A young man fell, gone too soon.

Let us not mock, or joke, in foolish jest.
Instead we'll pray, that in peace, he'll rest.

Rip

The man died on hole 1 of rosedale at 3am. the park is closed at this time but people still go play there because of lights. the man did not have glow discs such a shame...

i saw this video that was posted saturday afternoon/evening - hours before the accident.

how come KCPL didn't kill the lines? were the down lines not reported?

how come KCPL didn't kill the lines? were the down lines not reported?

Pete Johnson was posting on FB that the city / police were aware of the issue but didn't take care of it.

Not sure where he got that info from, just thought it was an interesting side note.

WOW!! Some of you people should realize that when a big storm rolls through the area and power lines are down, fixing the power lights at a park are the least of their concerns(even if they are on the ground). They have 1000s of paying customers out there without power for the same reason. They will always go fix them first. If parks and rec were aware of this, they would have had it closed and possibly had a cop in the area to monitor it. Some of you people need a little common sence.

RIP to the deceased!

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure the guy just wanted to disc (something we should all know about).

Unfortunately for him, he picked the wrong place and time.

My condolences to his family, friends, and acquaintances.

WOW!! Some of you people should realize that when a big storm rolls through the area and power lines are down, fixing the power lights at a park are the least of their concerns(even if they are on the ground). They have 1000s of paying customers out there without power for the same reason. They will always go fix them first. If parks and rec were aware of this, they would have had it closed and possibly had a cop in the area to monitor it. Some of you people need a little common sence.

RIP to the deceased!

Pretty sure they did have the park closed. I read somewhere that the guys parked on a side street near the park and walked in rather than driving and parking in a lot within the park.

Perhaps posting someone there to monitor would have been a good idea, but I think just like you point out with the power company, in a situation like that, police personnel are being deployed in other areas that have a greater need. I think it's possible they assessed the situation, locked down the park (which I presume is normal for overnight hours anyway), and didn't expect anyone was going to be in there at that time of night.

What gets me is that if these guys didn't have glow discs, as jaderavenn suggests, and went to this particular park to play because it's usually lit, why didn't the fact that the lights were out give them any pause? I'd think just the fear of losing a disc on the first throw would stop me from bothering to play.

It was a tragic accident and it's a shame that someone lost their life as a result, but I don't think it should be overlooked that the deceased and his friend were doing a pretty stupid thing to begin with. So if we're going to start parsing out who's to blame or who was negligent in this case, the victim deserves a good portion of it himself.

I would think live downed power lines in a public area would have a higher priority than homes without power. Guess not. That has litigation written all over it. But they did close the park so who knows.

I would think live downed power lines in a public area would have a higher priority than homes without power. Guess not. That has litigation written all over it. But they did close the park so who knows.

Do you think the victim's family will try to sue the PDGA?

Do you think the victim's family will try to sue the PDGA?

It didn't happen during a sanctioned event. What liability would they have?

And I agree that a downed power line is more of a priority than an area without power. Darkness is inherently less lethal than exposed power lines.

Even if the park was closed, they should have prioritized live down wires over homes without power esp when it is the summer. I mean its not out of the norm for teenagers to go to parks after hours ignoring the rules. Down lines = death. Homes without power while people are asleep = slight inconvenience.

A few questions,

Is this park sometimes open at 3am? Or is it ALWAYS closed at that time?

Is it is sometimes open at those hours for golfers who play at night these people could claim they did not know it was closed having parked on a side street.

Sounds like liability may still fall on the town/power company if it isnt closed 100% of the time at those hours.

And I agree that a downed power line is more of a priority than an area without power. Darkness is inherently less lethal than exposed power lines.

Why would a power company be concerned about a park not having power? Really? OMG the bathroom lights dont work and the street lights dont work so now people could get mugged...

Like I said, the power company is more worried about homes/buisnesses having power. Think about if they went and fixed a down power line at a park first and someone broke into a buisness or home and stole a lot of stuff. That wouldnt look good on the power company would it? Alarms wont work without power. Yes the power company is concerned about that line he stepped on. But if he broke the city laws of that park, he was responsible for whatever happened (death)

I can tell just by the way some of you respond to this that you dont work hands on at all. I have worked with power for 3 years and work near them now instead of on them. If you have ever noticed driving down the interstate the 100s of power trucks you pass, its because of storms like this. They call for backup (sometimes 6-7 states away) so they can get it all restored in a timely fashion. Its just common sence people.

I doubt they would sue the PDGA. If the city new (which is in question) the lines were down and didn't do anything about it for 12 hours that is problematic

Why would a power company be concerned about a park not having power? Really? OMG the bathroom lights dont work and the street lights dont work so now people could get mugged...

Like I said, the power company is more worried about homes/buisnesses having power. Think about if they went and fixed a down power line at a park first and someone broke into a buisness or home and stole a lot of stuff. That wouldnt look good on the power company would it? Alarms wont work without power. Yes the power company is concerned about that line he stepped on. But if he broke the city laws of that park, he was responsible for whatever happened (death)

I can tell just by the way some of you respond to this that you dont work hands on at all. I have worked with power for 3 years and work near them now instead of on them. If you have ever noticed driving down the interstate the 100s of power trucks you pass, its because of storms like this. They call for backup (sometimes 6-7 states away) so they can get it all restored in a timely fashion. Its just common sence people.

Its not about "the park not having lights".

Its about a power line being on the ground with electricity surging through it.

Animals and/or people will die if they touch or even get to close to it.

Again, if you think its only about "the park not having lights" that they should be worried about then you are being abit naive.

And dont even try to tell me that turning off the grid temporarily where the live wire is down takes to much time.

I didn't read the whole thread b/c of there's a lot of dribble that I'd rather just not read so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

B-tier played Rosedale (the park in question) on Sunday morning. I wasn't there, but the website lists the tee time as 8:00am. I think that they try to get all the other rounds done early so people can go to Swope and watch the final 9. Anyways, the storms rolled through hard and heavy late Saturday afternoon which must have knocked the line down.

Surely others that were there can comment more directly about the situation on the ground but I'm wondering if the morning round went off? If this hadn't happened would someone in that round have encountered the downed wire? I imagining that the PDGA would be liable if that were to happen for not ensuring safe playing conditions.

I'm assuming that the friend of the guy who was killed called the police and that's when the power company and city became aware of the situation. But that's an assumption. If they knew that a line was down in the park earlier and did nothing to remedy the situation or at least prevent access to it, then that seems like a major liability problem for the power company. It's a shame all around, though.

FWIW, I do believe that all entrances to the park are closed at a certain time at night so technically if anyone were to park down the street and walk in they likely would be trespassing, so that may affect the power company's liability on the issue.

Its not about "the park not having lights".

Its about a power line being on the ground with electricity surging through it.

Animals and/or people will die if they touch or even get to close to it.

Again, if you think its only about "the park not having lights" that they should be worried about then you are being abit naive.

And dont even try to tell me that turning off the grid temporarily where the live wire is down takes to much time.

Osmo summed up my point very well, secure the line so there's no immediate threat. No one said make restoring power to the park priority except you. Instead of talking down to people, perhaps you should comprehend the posts you think are so wrong.

I'm interested to see the protocol for your area. I want to see where insured "stuff" is more important than a live (and lethal) power wire laying exposed on the ground.

If you knew a live powerline was down in the park, wouldn't it just about keep you up at night worried someone might stumble over it?

Osmo summed up my point very well, secure the line so there's no immediate threat. No one said make restoring power to the park priority except you. Instead of talking down to people, perhaps you should comprehend the posts you think are so wrong.

I'm interested to see the protocol for your area. I want to see where insured "stuff" is more important than a live (and lethal) power wire laying exposed on the ground.

This.

And condolences to the family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts