• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Maverick

JNichols

Smelling the Shame
I DID search and could not find that the Maverick has its own thread. Figured I would ask about it since I am seeing a TON of hype on this disc, as of late. Who is bagging the Maverick? Thoughts and impressions? Can anyone give me a comparison to a Westside Stag? I am wondering about the Standard Maverick, and NOT the Zach Melton Lucid X, at this point.

Last edited:
I have a lucid, lucid-x, and se. I love the discs but don't bag the se after my lucid beat in. I haven't thrown a stag much, Maverick is more stable than a seer and similar to a river. I like the feel of the Maverick better than the river and get a much more predictable flight. The Maverick can have very late turn if thrown smoothly.

Been playing 4 years or so from ultimate. Used to throw the river, have not found one in a while that I like. Throw a bunch of mvp these days. Can flick so have not, "needed" a true turnover disc in a while. Played the doubles matchplay dd thingie. They gave me a maverick. There are times when I would rather throw a backhand turnover than a sidearm. Its just right. In field work I turn it over to much. But I tend to throw 80% of that when it counts and it is just right. Glides forever and will hold the line unless you feather it to much. I like it and its in my bag for the moment and the only other trilogy disc I have at the moment is a harp.

I threw a buddy's Maverick a few times, pretty sure it was the SE plastic. First impression was that it was Dynamic's competitor for the Discmania FD. I have no experience throwing Stags, so sorry but I've got no info for you there.
Personally I bag a Hatchet as my flippiest fairway, and I've also got a Biofuzion Escape that's pretty worked in. The Maverick didn't do anything for me that I couldn't already do with those discs. I also like a slightly thicker rim for my fairways, so the feel wasn't quite what I'd prefer.

I've got three in my bag. Lucid, First Run, Lucid-X. I'm hottest on the First Run and Lucid-X. The LX is getting me some of the best distance and most control. This is my first year playing, and I've tried almost everything so far, and this has been the game changer for me. I'm not as big on the Lucid as I am the LX. It's getting the same amount of distance as my Opto-x River.

Got out and threw the two Fuzion Mavericks I recieved yesterday. No way they will replace my Westside Stags. They flip to flat nicely, hold a late anhyzer well, but they take more work to throw, and glide less than the Stag, IMO. The Stags also have a more predictable, small fade at the end of flight that the Maverick wouldn't give me. Bummer.

I have a beat tournament Stag that I picked up from PIAS, has tons of glide and keeps up with my distance drivers. My first run Maverick doesn't have as much glide, seems more OS, and I feel like I have to put a little more oomph in to it. My FR Maverick reminds me of a Leopard3 with less glide and a tad more OS. Both are fantastic discs. It wouldn't hurt to bag both a Stag and a Maverick.

I have a lucid Maverick and a Tournament burst Stag. I would consider the Stag to be a step faster and more OS as well.

how does the maverick compare to the maul?

I did a shootout between the Maverick and Maul for the turnover disc in my bag. I found the Maverick to be about the same speed with less glide, less turn and more fade than the Maul.

IMO, the Maul is more of a "finesse" fairway that will turn and hold an anhyzer all the way to the ground, whereas the Maverick can take more power and shape better lines...

I did a shootout between the Maverick and Maul for the turnover disc in my bag. I found the Maverick to be about the same speed with less glide, less turn and more fade than the Maul.

IMO, the Maul is more of a "finesse" fairway that will turn and hold an anhyzer all the way to the ground, whereas the Maverick can take more power and shape better lines...

My beat in first run lucid is definitely in the finesse fairway category now, while the lucid x is the power turnover type

My beat in first run lucid is definitely in the finesse fairway category now, while the lucid x is the power turnover type

Good point! I was testing relatively fresh Lucid/Opto discs. My bagged and beat GL Maul has gone beyond finesse into roller land...

how does the maverick compare to the maul?

I bag both. The Maul is much flippier. Great for long turnovers and hyzer flips.

I like to throw the Maverick flat and let it turn around an obstacle then fade back to the target.

Latest posts