• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

measuring distance with gps on smartphone

discgolferlee

Eagle Member
I have seen some people reporting how far their drives went based on gps on cell phones. My question is how accurate and what are best apps to do this. Looking for android app to measure shots and hole lengths. Any help is great. Thanks!!

lots of different apps. google makes one called tracks. GPS is measured by satellite so the general distances are correct its not accurate within single ft. I would give at least 50' variance.

GPS is a system of triangulating the position of an object on earth. In order to complete the triangulation process you need three satellites in view of your position. Up until 1993 the GPS system was purely military in nature and not open to civilian access.

In 1994 the final block II satellite was set into orbit to make a total of 24 satellites in orbit. Today we have 30 satellites in orbit, and the real name for the GPS is the NAVSTAR system. GPS simply sounds better and thus was adopted for consumer marketing.

What does all this have to do with the accuracy of GPS?

GPS systems require you to be within sky range of three of these orbiting satellites in order to receive their signals. GPS units use the satellite locations to calculate your current position. There may be times even now when your just not in the right spot, and you can duck under the satellites. However, in general a GPS is accurate up to a few thousand feet of your current position at any given time. In order to use trilateration to calculate you height you need a fourth satellite to be in view.

Cell phone GPS systems,

A cell phones GPS actually works on a different principle then this, and thus can be less accurate. A cell phone measures the strength of your signal to fixed location towers. Comparing this signal strength to what range it would expect from that signal strength.

As you pass from one tower to another, this signal is transferred to the closer tower, and you are switched to a new cell range. By calculating the signals strength and time to arrive at multiple towers it is possible to triangulate your signal, and direction of movement.

However, since this method requires you to be in range of cell towers, the only time it can be used is when your phone is on, charged, and in range of a tower. If your hiding from some one, don't use your phone. You should also remove the battery or they can turn it on.

Cell phone GPS remote powering,

Cell phone GPS can be turned on remotely even if your battery is dead. The only way to ensure you are not being tracked is by removing the battery, or not having the cell to begin with. If you pissed "big brother off" you may as well dump the cell, but just how close can they come to your exact position? Cell phone carriers are required to be able to provide your location to within 100 meters. They may however be more accurate at times.

GPS location and mapping,

If you're wondering how accurate your GPS map is, it should be about the same, as the tracking, 100 meters or 328.1 feet. So when your getting those directions off your phone, it is going to be deadly accurate as to your location. However, it might not be so accurate as to what stores are nearby. Some stores open, close and change hands very often. This results in becoming misinformed from time to time about the existence of a store in your area.

Summary,

To summarize your cell phone can track you to within approximately 328 feet. This function can be turned on remotely by police or other government agencies. Your phone will be extremely accurate when working as a GPS navigator. Some model phones may allow you to turn tracking on and even lock it for keeping tabs on your kids. If you don't want to be tracked down then remove your cell battery, and If you never want to be found, why do you have a cell?

Last edited:
A GPS or cell phone is an excellent means to find the nearest Harbor Freight. When you get there, buy one of these (on sale for $13.99):

image_17552.jpg

I have used gps for mapping courses and I also enjoy geocaching. I have several nice, professional hand held GPS devices and several apps on my phone. No matter how accurate you think your GPS is, the best you can hope for is about 10'. So for measuring distance you will be +/- 10' at best...so your distance should be within 20'.

GPS on a smartphone in an open area (minimal trees) is pretty accurate - you can get to +/- 10-15'. So measuring drives in an open area can be +/- 20-30' (since you have to measure 2 points).

If you are in an open area you can get more accurate than that (and pretty easily) by using Google Maps' measuring tool* provided the area has high resolution satellite images.

* In settings-labs.....but it might not be in the newest version of Maps since Google stripped out lots of cool stuff a few months (scale, zoom buttons, labs) to make it "easier". I rolled my version back to the pre-installed version that came with my phone since I cannot safely/easily use Maps without them.

Mine say they are accurate to within +/- 16. I have double checked a few times and find them to be reasonably accurate. For getting a good feel of my average distance, I just play driving range at local football field. It helps with course management. Of course you could carry that ditch with a good drive.......but anything at or under your average is going end up in the drink! Oh yah, average driving range distance Is going to be a little longer than your one drive at a time on the course.

Cell phone GPS systems,

A cell phones GPS actually works on a different principle then this, and thus can be less accurate. A cell phone measures the strength of your signal to fixed location towers. Comparing this signal strength to what range it would expect from that signal strength.

As you pass from one tower to another, this signal is transferred to the closer tower, and you are switched to a new cell range. By calculating the signals strength and time to arrive at multiple towers it is possible to triangulate your signal, and direction of movement.

However, since this method requires you to be in range of cell towers, the only time it can be used is when your phone is on, charged, and in range of a tower. If your hiding from some one, don't use your phone. You should also remove the battery or they can turn it on.
Most smart phones have actual GPS antennas in them now. They can still use the cell tower, and now also WiFi hotspots, to find you position while using less battery than GPS, but they do have actual GPS capability. Chances are you aren't near many WiFi hotspots while disc golfing, so using the actual GPS on your phone is the best bet.

I'd trust a cell phone GPS position to be accurate within 10m. They may be able to do better than that, but it's difficult to tell when you're getting better accuracy and when you're getting worse accuracy.

There are things you can do to ensure better accuracy. UDisc+ shows you an aerial view of where you are measuring so, if you are throwing somewhere with some landmarks, as the dot that indicates your position jumps around wait for it to land on the where it looks like you are actually standing then mark your location. Doing this on both the start and finish can give some pretty accurate results. You can try it by standing and the back corner of an endzone and measuring down the line to the back corner of the opposite endzone. If you wait for the dot to land on the intersection of the lines, the distance measured will come up between 355 and 365.

They can be fairly accurate but unfortunately you won't know when it is accurate or not. Unless you are using surveyor's equipment, chances are that any GPS enabled handheld won't really be accurate enough to measure hole length or drive length based on the fact that you have to have two waypoints. Each waypoint will have at best a 3m variation. That's a variation of 20'. Your cellphone GPS will most likely be in the range of 10m (a variation of 65').

This past fall, I got involved with adding new holes to an existing course in my area. The guy heading this operation asked me if I could help in getting some accurate measurements of his new layout without the need to physically survey the densely treed area. As an experiment, I went out and GPS'd the existing course with my phone using just the GPS antenna. I am a cartographer and have access to very high resolution aerials as well as street-line data that has very accurate known distances. When I plotted the GPS coordinates from my phone, some of the existing tee pads and pin placements were plotted within 30'. Others, however, were plotted >100' away. I wouldn't rely on handheld GPS equipment for the relatively short distances that we would use them for.

There was a thread on this about 6 months ago. Just buy a rangefinger. I take mine to every course to get accurate distances.

The iPhone GPS is +/- 16 feet on each measurement. Thus, since you measure at the beginning and the end, the total measurement is +/- 32 feet. This will hold true with any iPhone, regardless of app.

EDIT: I don't know if this has improved for the iPhone 5. This is based off of the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Accuracy is very dependant on the number of satelites, and cover (i.e. open vs wooded). Most dedicated GPS units will give you an estimate and the few times I've used on (Geochaching) it doesn't get below about 20-30 ft. I've read a report from one study that that estimated phones were typically more like 50-100 ft. But that was for urban taxi location tracking and reflections can cause errors.

For getting an estimate of my drives I usually just pace it off. Much easier and I'm generally more accurate than GPS - especially for my noodle arm drives.

Here's a way to check the accuracy of your device:
Find a football field. Stand on one goal line & turn on your device. Walk to the opposite goal line & it should show 300 feet!

What about at altitude where you are closer to the satellites? Is that taken into account? :popcorn:

The iPhone GPS is +/- 16 feet on each measurement. Thus, since you measure at the beginning and the end, the total measurement is +/- 32 feet. This will hold true with any iPhone, regardless of app.

EDIT: I don't know if this has improved for the iPhone 5. This is based off of the iPhone 4 and 4S.

This is a best case scenario though. No interference (trees, dense clouds, etc.), being able to access the highest number of satellites and being in a static location for a couple of minutes will result in getting this best case scenario. However, my findings (with an iPhone 5) resulted in some massively varying degrees of accuracy. In my test, I only got two waypoints that were actually on the tee pad when plotted on a high-resolution aerial. All of the others were either off slightly (~10') or by significant amounts (one was 118'). I plotted 54 waypoints over an hour and a half span on a clear day in the middle of the afternoon.

A rangefinder would be much more accurate than trying a GPS enabled phone in my opinion. Too many variables going on with a phone.