• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Members Who Have Played 100 Courses!

nice, congrats!

i'd be curious to hear your thoughts on all three of those courses.

I enjoyed all 3 quite a bit. I have Brazos Park East just inside my top 10 in Texas (probably a 4.5 rating) while I have Dino Hills Disc Golf Farm (Championship) and Granbury City Park just inside my top 20 in Texas (probably 4.0 ratings). I've played 261 in Texas including virtually everything of note along the I-35 corridor and east so there's very little (if anything) that currently exists left to be played that would knock those down my state ranking.

I'll start with Brazos Park East. I think it's probably a better DGPT course than every day course. The 9 open holes seem to have a LOT of pedestrian traffic (which is to be expected because it seems more of a popular park than a disc golf course but it makes playing those holes quite challenging). The 9 wooded holes are nice but there are definitely some "luck spots" in my opinion and the flow/routing is a little funky. Those are really just what keeps it from being a 5.0 though because most of the holes are really nice and the aesthetics are really nice.

Dino Hills really surprised me. I expected more dinosaur, worse disc golf. It was actually less dinosaur, better disc golf. The championship course is really nice and demanding. It has quite a variety of shots-- downhill, uphill, open, wooded, straight, right, left, water... The Micro Raptor course was also super well done and very fun. Although short, none of the holes were really "easy". They all had some type of technical aspect that made it very interesting.

I thought Granbury is really underrated. I don't understand why it only has a 3.62 rating. It does have many pin locations with no type of pin location identifier which is a negative. And it does have 22 holes plus a "driving range" which I would actually consider negatives-- especially in this case because I think it brings down the quality of the course as a whole. The tee pads are a little on the older side and felt kinda slick despite being concrete. Those are really the only cons that I could come up with. The property was very well maintained with many beautiful trees in play. I think this place could really be a lot better with just some minor tweaks like reducing the course to 18 holes, designing some better par 4's, keeping some of the better existing holes and eliminating some of the more plain ones, adding some pin location identifiers, maybe even having 2 sets of baskets present on every hole, pouring some new concrete tee pads... It's just really close to even better than it already is...

I think the Granbury/Dino Hills day trip is definitely one that everyone in DFW, Waco, etc. should make...

P.S. I've got nearly 800 new courses played since Covid started (past 21 months)... Working at a school during Covid has had that advantage... I started working at the school in 2014. We're out of school for roughly 10-11 weeks every year (holidays and summer). I was in the mid 200's when I started and had really only accumulated those just by playing my whole life-- I had never really made it a point before. I've been playing about 100 new courses a year just working a typical school schedule and traveling which had got me to just over 800 total courses played before Covid. Here's a summary of what I've played during Covid:

March/April/May 2020 (not working/working virtually) - Regional courses that I hadn't played before. Nothing more than a few hours away from home. Got to 900 during this time.

June 2020 - Central Missouri, some Indiana, a lot of Chicago (got to 1,000 at The Canyons)
July 2020 - UP Michigan, LOTS of Wisconsin. Got to just shy of 1,100 (made it there at home during the fall playing some unplayed Louisiana courses).

Thanksgiving 2020 - South Texas (Victoria, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend)
Christmas/New Years 2020 - Michigan (ski trip... first REAL snow golf experience)

January/February 2021 (5 weeks not working/working virtually due to Covid) - Spent the entire 5 weeks in Florida. Played every course in the state that I cared to play. Got to 1,200 during this time.

Easter 2021 - DFW. Reached 1,300.
Memorial Day 2021 - Nashville + TN/AL/MS

July 2021 - HUGE South Carolina/North Carolina/Virginia/Maryland/Tennessee trip. Reached 1,400 and 1,500 during it.

Thanksgiving 2021 - Waco, Temple, etc. Reached 1,600...

Made to course #100 this morning at Walnut Creek Park outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. It had the variety I enjoy woods, water, elevation, and a few open holes. Also helped that it's my 13th John Biscoe course, made it easy to choose the course sight unseen.

left- #2 just below the long tees.

center- #8 a narrow-elevated tee. Creek on right.

right- #17 epic elevated tee short basket just below the first ridge about 300 feet. Long basket on a second drop 500 feet down from tee. Both Par 3's.

Attachments

• PIC_2958.JPG
    PIC_2958.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PIC_2967.JPG
    PIC_2967.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PIC_2984.JPG
    PIC_2984.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 33
Reached 100+ and broke the top 50 in Illinois about 3 days ago.

Considering I only started bagging courses last July and missed out on two months because of a broken leg, I think I'm doing pretty well. Don't always have the time to play but I still try to bag as many as I can on my few days off I get a week.

After watching so many tournaments at Idlewild it was cool to play it myself and see how I stack up against the pros...I don't! :wall: But I did have fun trying!

Exactly how I felt about Idlewild... and Moraine... and Splinter City... :p

I was able to bag #100 yesterday!

After much deliberation (and Google Map'ing just how far it is to Idlewild, haha) I settled on Whiskey Hills DGC https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7075. Shout out to wolfhaley and the other reviewers who have recommended this one over the last few years. This course is severely underrated! It's about a 4.25 in my book with room for improvement, and a must-play for any travelers who have time after getting their fill at Flip City (about a 1/2 hour drive away). I'm going to be uploading some new photos of the place. And reviewing, of course. ;)

Thanks for all the support! It took me just under two years to reach 100. Will probably be a little bit longer than two more years before I hit 200, haha. Some of my course bagging goals for #101-200:
- Play two more courses from DGCR top 10 (I have currently played two of them)
- Reach 10 states played (currently at four)
- Play all remaining courses in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (I'm about 2/3 played currently, at last check)
- Play all courses in Ludington, MI area (about half played currently)
and of course, the closest ones left that I can find :)

I was able to bag #100 yesterday!

Shout out to wolfhaley and the other reviewers who have recommended this one over the last few years. This course is severely underrated! It's about a 4.25 in my book with room for improvement

First off, congrats on hitting 100 :hfive:

Secondly, I appreciate the shout out. This is why I write reviews. The fact that I could help even one person puts a smile on my face. Had you not read my review, you might've missed this hidden gem. Kind words, from someone you've never met, about one of your reviews is what this place is all about. I look forward to your review, this course is vastly underrated on here. You'll help get it to where it should be. And keep up the excellent reviews :thmbup:

Hit Course #250 on Friday at Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs, IA. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=835

225 of those in Iowa. Up to 4th in Iowa Course baggers. Hope to snag #3 before the year is out.

Congrats on hitting 250 :hfive:

Looking forward to seeing your review for Treasure Cove. That one is on my radar for a September trip through Des Moines to KC. I'd being playing that one on the way back up through Omaha. It's kind of surprising you're only #4 in Iowa. You've plastered that state besides the Davenport area. Like I said to DFrah, keep up the fantastic reviews. :thmbup:

Hit Course #250 on Friday at Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs, IA. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=835

225 of those in Iowa. Up to 4th in Iowa Course baggers. Hope to snag #3 before the year is out.

Was creeping on your courses played and noticed/surprised you just played Eagle Pt Park in Clinton, instead of any Davenport courses or the Dewitt course. This course was in pretty bad shape (fallen trees in fairways mostly) last I heard, but you have updated to good conditions. Could you please elaborate on the current conditions there?

Eagle Point Park

Was creeping on your courses played and noticed/surprised you just played Eagle Pt Park in Clinton, instead of any Davenport courses or the Dewitt course. This course was in pretty bad shape (fallen trees in fairways mostly) last I heard, but you have updated to good conditions. Could you please elaborate on the current conditions there?

Was staying in Clinton for the night. Ducked off the course just before a rain shower.

Fairways were fine, mostly cleared. Only issue we had was trying to find the #5 short pad. A little muddy with current rains, but played just fine. The grass was beginning to get a bit long, so upkeep would be a question going forward, but no issues with fallen trees on our play.

Congrats on hitting 250 :hfive:

Looking forward to seeing your review for Treasure Cove. That one is on my radar for a September trip through Des Moines to KC. I'd being playing that one on the way back up through Omaha. It's kind of surprising you're only #4 in Iowa. You've plastered that state besides the Davenport area. Like I said to DFrah, keep up the fantastic reviews. :thmbup:

Thanks, that review is about 7th on my list, will get there... as for #4, discgolfiowa has hit 95%, DerekTonn is above 80%. I'm chasing KingDavid64 at just under 77%. My current tally puts me at 66.7%. 324 active courses in Iowa at current count (up 6 so far in 2022, I've added 5 of those on DGCR, several more that I know are in process) I'll keep pushing...and reviewing...:thmbup:

Amateur course baggers thread ftw. Just played Bud Pell for the first time one week before it closed for my big 150 (DGCR says I'm only at 149 but they don't have every course). Bitter sweet. What course should I play for 200? I'm in PDX, played all the ones around here so thinking Southern Oregon and Northern Cali courses.

Last edited:
Amateur course baggers thread ftw. Just played Bud Pell for the first time one week before it closed for my big 150 (DGCR says I'm only at 149 but they don't have every course). Bitter sweet. What course should I play for 200? I'm in PDX, played all the ones around here so thinking Southern Oregon and Northern Cali courses.

If southern OR is on the table Whistler's is the business.