• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Met Jenkins and Doss today!

himynameismatt

Eagle Member
So I guess Avery, Val and Nate are in town a little early for The BSF, and to my surprise they decided to play my home course Pier Park today.

This was the first time I'd met a "Pro" and have to say I was a little starstruck at first, hard not to be, I mean their freaking names are on two of my favorite discs. Not to mention Nate and Avery are probably my two favorite players on tour, and just yesterday I finished watching the KCWO (Which Doss won in case any of you haven't heard).

It was pretty freaking awesome seeing guys that you watch a lot of video on just playing a casual round at your local course.We played rather slowly watching when we could but still trying to shoot well ourselves.

We eventually caught up to them and they let us play through =( but we were able to watch Nate Doss park his drive 18 (543' downhill, plays more like 450-475). Park might be and understatement thing was touching the post.

They even hung out a little bit at the food cart / pro shop that's setup at the first tee after the round, signed some discs, gave a couple tips to people who asked etc.

I was super impressed with all 3 of them Avery Jenkins looks like he should be playing Linebacker in the NFL, this man is HUGE. For as big of a man he is he's very soft-spoken, and very polite took the time to answer questions and sign all the autographs.

Doss seemed a little disinterested at first (Bad round maybe?) but when I mentioned the KCWO and congratulated him on his win his eyes lit up and you could tell he was still very excited about the win.

Val Jenkins...HOLY CRAP...She can BOMB! She put her drive on 18 a good 30'-40' past where mine usually lands and she held her own with the boys most of the round from my wildly inaccurate estimation.

TL;DR material for sure ^^^

But yeah...Still pretty stoked there aren't a lot of sports in the world where you can randomly run into 3 of the best in the world at your local course. Anyone else met these 3 before? What were your impressions? Maybe you met some other pros?

It's always cool to have that happen. I've been quite blessed to have my home course be run by Steve and Bamba Rico. Because of this, bigger pros drop by for our tournaments, like the one last weekend. We had Josh Anthon, Paul McBeth, Philo Brathwaite, Derek Billings, Garrett Gurthie and Carrie Berlogar show up. Any time you can hang with the big names and hopefully pick up a key pointer or two is fantastic. I met Nate and Val at the 08 Golden State Classic, they were very cool people. They signed a Highbridge Wraith for me. I didn't get to talk to Avery but watching him throw these halfassed little warmup shots that were going 450 was just silly.

I met my first pro this past weekend and did not even know I had meet a pro. Was playing in a ultimate tournament and one of my teammates had invited a former teammate of his to play with us. He was an older guy, great on the disc though. Turns out he is a pretty good disc golfer as well, Shane Seal a discraft guy. Man I wished I would of known before the ride home... So many questions I would of asked!

ejvogie and I unfortunately ran into Dion Arlyn at Toboggan. He was filming a Discraft long distance drive video. While his camera/disc shagger was gone and we were waiting for the people in front of us to shoot, he told us about 4 times that he was rated 1010 and "when I first started playing, all I could do was bomb discs 600 feet. Then I figured out to be good you also have to be able to putt, so I worked on that for a year and now I'm 1010. Drive for show, putt for dough." ...Never heard that phrase before dude...

So then, his disc monkey gets back and they tell us we would have to wait a half hour until they were done filming (no groups behind us). One of the dudes in our group was like, "yeah... sure thing man," and threw anyways.

Still mad about it.

I met feldberg and melody king at west park in joliet, il. And they had a dog. Pretty cool.

holy crap when was this? i live about two minutes from Westie, that would be amazing! dave was bending the course over i bet.

i met Avery, val and Nate at Lemon Lake last summer. a friend and i were out playig casually and ran into them on the red course. very nice people. btw i did notice Avery smoking a hitter lol :thmbup::thmbup:

I got the chance to meet pretty much any pro you can think of while volunteering at the USDGC last fall. Most were cool guys, and super nice. I had a couple of cool conversations with Feldberg and Climo, and MJ is always a cool customer, but the coolest by far was Philo Brathwaite. Neither Avery nor Doss came across as all that cool to me, but maybe they were just really focused on the task at hand.

I remember last year I ran into Val. She was literally standing right next to me for about 10 minutes as there was a hold up where her parents were adding a pin position, waiting for a couple groups to play the hole and get out of the way, my group included.

I finally realized and said "Hey. Your Val Jenkins! Great. Watch me shank this drive now." Later I wondered if they ever get tired of people telling them who they are.

I guess it was Nate there with her but I never really got close, was just told by a regular at the course later on that was who was with her. I did try my best to get my first ace that round at a hole very near to that one, telling my buddy I would run over and ask them to sign my first ace disc. I hit metal but even still to this day, no ace.

Fun times! I was able to hang out with Climo, Feldberg, shultz, GG, big germ, Henry childres, and Dennis young a couple months ago at the Atlanta open. They happened to be staying at FlyBoy in the hanger, needless to say me and a friend were also staying there. Just the few of us stayed up til 12 or so Friday and saturday night putting around the hanger and getting tips. I lost a game of "FlyBoy" to Feldberg...after that I've been taking DG more serious and trying to compete against them like I said I would!

Thanks for linking that but yeah you can watch at discgolfplanet.tv you have to register but it's free and they don't spam you.

I was kinda up in the air about attending the BSF this year. It can be an absolute Zoo there. But after and meeting and chatting with those guys def going to see what it's all about.

Damn I almost went down there too

No worries. Horning's Hideout is closed this week, Pier Park is just about the only place any of the Pro's in town can play without driving all the way out to Milo. You're bound to run into some Pro's if you play before Friday I'd imagine.

All three were rocking the new Grip Equipment Bag. Looks awesome picking one up as soon as I can.

Latest posts