• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MEXICAN Newbie

Briel

Hi!

I started playing disc golf because my aunt brought me an innova disc catcher from the united states a couple of months ago. now I´m hooked ! I would love to help grow the sport in my country. There are only 5 courses in Mexico, but just two of them are in good conditions,

any ideas?

Regards,
Gabriel Escudero

Hey there Gabriel!

Glad to hear that you're getting into disc golf and interested in growing the sport down there. Honestly the best way I could think to grow the course in your local community it to get your friends playing. Ive gotten a few friends started by giving them some of my old discs after taking them out playing a few times. Not sure how easy it is to get discs down there, maybe you can get a box of beat up discs to give out to friends? Make up a course or two as well, pick a park or rural area near you and spray paint some X's on some trees/rocks and make your own course right down the street. Have fun and best of luck!

-Dan

Bienvenido a DGCR! Somos muy pocos hispanos aqui, y usted es la unica persona que he visto de Mexico. Si hay muchisima gente en los EEUU que no sabe lo que es "disc golf", en su pais ha de ser casi imposible encontrar alguien que conozca el deporte.

No lo puedo ayudar con ideas, pero le deseo buena suerte de todas maneras. Si busca golf de discos en YouTube, creo que hay un club en el DF que esta intentando tambien a promocionar el deporte. A lo mejor ellos le pudieran ayudar a usted.

In the short term, take Dan's suggestion above and set up some object courses in nearby parks. I suggest using removable tape, rope, plastic flagging, etc., to mark the trees and objects though ... I don't think the policia in DF would take kindly to spray paint. ;) I work with a group of guys from Sonora who have gotten very good at disc golf. We have set up temporary object courses all over Durango, Zacatecas, Sonora and Coahuila.

Secondly, Mexico is full of craftsmen. Find a nearby welding shop and have someone make a copies of your Discatcher. If your basket is the collapsible "Traveler" version, find some pictures of portable all-metal baskets and have them copy those. On the PDGA.com site, you'll find specifications for height, diameter, etc., for regulation baskets.

With just three baskets (you already have one) and multiple tees you can easily set up a 9-hole course. More baskets, more options. Mexico needs more disc golf and golfers. Set something up and let me know. I'd love to play a round with you next time I'm in Mexico City.

Back before we had baskets(or so I've heard), we used tone poles. Nothing more elaborate than a pipe inside a pipe. They are not as good as baskets, but a heck of a lot cheaper.
Here is a guy whom has built one out of salvaged parts.

Bienvenidos al deporte! Lo mejor que puede hacer para promover el juego es para jugarlo. Pon tu objetivo en la calle y practicar el putt. Los niños podrán gravitar hacia lo que está haciendo y lo que seguirle el juego.

Una vez más, la bienvenida, hermano!

Welcome and I must say, very cool of your aunt to get you a basket for a gift. :thmbup:
Like Dan said, make your own object courses using trees and stuff.... that's how the game started.

Another idea on course creation that works pretty well is just using a cheap camping chair to put into. You can design out a pretty quick 9 hole course and move the chair with you. We have a couple of homemade courses we like to play here out in some fielded/wooded areas and we just have the rule that the person with the worst score on the last hole has to carry the chair to the next designated spot.
Welcome to the sport :) Its great to have you. Your passion for bringing this to more people is very admirable.

I played a course at a local church camp , they use tone poles , at first I thought eh, but it turned out pretty fun.. they were 4x4 post with a 2 foot piece of stove pipe on them. very cost effective . you could make them on a stand so you can move them to different locations also. Have fun

Latest posts