• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Boooo!

Slow my arse...you take an uncut and unimproved forest and make a course out of it!!! The fundraiser JUST concluded May 30, and we didn't even get the money for another two weeks!!!
We have the rough cut done on holes 1-6, plus the practice area, in just two days. Three more days of clearing, then the contractor/volunteer installing tee pads, and all the baskets have been received and awaiting install. Plus we are building a friggin parking lot! Tee signs will NOT be up until next year so we can fine tune anything. If anything is slow, it's because volunteerism is NOT people's number one priority.
Wooo! Yeah I was thinking it was just this spring I donated. Looking forward to hopefully playing it in a 2024 trip to the UP. :D

Anyone played Lake Arvesta in South Haven yet? I feel like it has Silver Series potiential.
i played it when it had just "opened"

it felt like a steroid version of vq

i have no interest in seeing the finalized product

fwiw i also waited 30 min in the lobby (no lie) which is a major fault especially when on a course baggin expedition

i want my time and money back

I didn't really like it, but it also didn't seem totally done when I played last fall. In the plus column, it's pretty open, so plenty of room for spectators.

Might be a better course for tourney play than for casual play. My impression is that it might be too easy for touring pros, but I was just playing my game when I was there (which has little in common with the game they are playing).

I'll probably be back at some point to see the finished product, but there are a bunch of courses higher on the list for replay.

I just visited early this month and I agree with everything Countchunkula said. Including the bit that it still doesn't feel totally done.

i played it when it had just "opened"

it felt like a steroid version of vq

i have no interest in seeing the finalized product

fwiw i also waited 30 min in the lobby (no lie) which is a major fault especially when on a course baggin expedition

i want my time and money back

Dang that's crazy—it's easily become my favorite course in the state. They have certainly improved it since last fall, and continue to improve every time I go there. They're landscaping the giant hill, and have added some incredible landscaping elements on the holes as well. The Blue layout is ~1000 feet longer than Toboggan, and an even round plays at ~1000 rated, so it's pretty tough. They continually tweak the holes, and they keep getting better... to the point where there are few other courses in the state that compete IMO. Not to mention, the white layout is also a blast (more reasonable for mortals), and the property itself is beautiful.

They're a family run place, but their facilities are more and more professional. I've never had access to food, alchohol, bathrooms, and showers during my tournament lunch! On weekdays I often call before I head over there, most of their business comes from the weekend so sometimes they don't just have someone sitting and waiting for you at the desk in the later afternoon/evening.

I urge you all to give it another shot!

The facilities look professional, but their procedure for check in/waivers was not up to that standard. I had a similar experience to elmex, where I was trying to get an early start, but they open late and it took a while for someone to get over to the check in desk and then it took a lot longer than I would expect to actually check in. Everyone was super nice, but they need to set it up so you can fill out the paperwork online before hand.

As far as the course itself, you got feedback from 3 people and at least 2 strongly prefer heavily wooded courses. I just don't rate many mostly open courses very highly. Like I said, I'm sure this is a better tourney course than a casual one.

All that said, I played on a cold, windy, November day and that might have colored my opinion. I've got family in the general area and will likely be back.

The facilities look professional, but their procedure for check in/waivers was not up to that standard. I had a similar experience to elmex, where I was trying to get an early start, but they open late and it took a while for someone to get over to the check in desk and then it took a lot longer than I would expect to actually check in. Everyone was super nice, but they need to set it up so you can fill out the paperwork online before hand.

As far as the course itself, you got feedback from 3 people and at least 2 strongly prefer heavily wooded courses. I just don't rate many mostly open courses very highly. Like I said, I'm sure this is a better tourney course than a casual one.

All that said, I played on a cold, windy, November day and that might have colored my opinion. I've got family in the general area and will likely be back.
I get it! That check-in experience is not uncommon in slow seasons/hours, but it is definitely improving. You can actually complete the waiver process on their website, and you only have to do that once per year. I'd say the check-in process usually takes me about 5-7 minutes these days. Faster if you bring cash. It's a family business and disc golf isn't where their money comes from–so they don't just have grandma sitting at a desk all evening in case a group comes through (which is why I call before hand if it's not the weekend). Once you check in, they let you play the course and finish out–even if they close before you finish, which is nice.

I would describe this course as anything but casual, so I understand that perspective. Blue takes 3-4 hours, and if you play a two round tournament you'll be walking a minimum of 10 miles (logged 16 at the last one). They now have a trolly to bring players out to starting holes at shotgun events because of the breadth of the property.

It's certainly not a "lets go shoot a quick round" course, but that's why it excites me so much. It'd be sweet if a solid TD in the area started an annual A-tier there with multiple days and tee times. I really think it's worthy of a big event, and maybe some day a Silver Series. The owners are very passionate about the course and its design.

I'm really interested if anyone has a perspective from the MPO side about the quality of the course and the design as it is right now. I personally feel like it's top tier, and I've heard that from a lot of the competitive players around here–but those are mostly AM1 guys rated between 900-980.

_

Side note: I brought my cart and bag once and the front desk grandma walked over and said "well who do we have here" thinking my rovic and bag was a stroller with a child in it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Side note: I brought my cart and bag once and the front desk grandma walked over and said "well who do we have here" thinking my rovic and bag was a stroller with a child in it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Plastic fondlers basically do that in stores all the time.

Dang that's crazy—it's easily become my favorite course in the state. They have certainly improved it since last fall, and continue to improve every time I go there. They're landscaping the giant hill, and have added some incredible landscaping elements on the holes as well. The Blue layout is ~1000 feet longer than Toboggan, and an even round plays at ~1000 rated, so it's pretty tough. They continually tweak the holes, and they keep getting better... to the point where there are few other courses in the state that compete IMO. Not to mention, the white layout is also a blast (more reasonable for mortals), and the property itself is beautiful.

They're a family run place, but their facilities are more and more professional. I've never had access to food, alchohol, bathrooms, and showers during my tournament lunch! On weekdays I often call before I head over there, most of their business comes from the weekend so sometimes they don't just have someone sitting and waiting for you at the desk in the later afternoon/evening.

I urge you all to give it another shot!
Yeah - I think it's just a matter of what you are looking for in a course. I rated it at 4.0 so I think objectively it has a lot of good aspects. Very challenging, lots of long distance throws, mostly good infrastructure. The option to play a layout where par is an 1000 rated round is good, as you said. And as you know, the course is rather unique for the area with all the more open holes. But it's definitely not "my kind of course" personally. I like more elevation, woods, and natural beauty.

Yeah - I think it's just a matter of what you are looking for in a course. I rated it at 4.0 so I think objectively it has a lot of good aspects. Very challenging, lots of long distance throws, mostly good infrastructure. The option to play a layout where par is an 1000 rated round is good, as you said. And as you know, the course is rather unique for the area with all the more open holes. But it's definitely not "my kind of course" personally. I like more elevation, woods, and natural beauty.
Appreciate your perspective—it's not for everyone.

I like open courses, but only when they actually challenge you to throw a line or play smart placement. Arvesta has that in spades, but I'd also call 1/3 of the course wooded—and elevation certainly comes into play (dramatically on hole 1). I think it's a gorgeous property, but to each their own.

I will say, playing the yellow layout is pretty silly. You're still walking the entire course, and many of the holes are relatively short and unremarkable.

Fairway to Heavan. the new course in Pentwater has now been open for a month. It's an absolute blast to play and one of the best in West Michigan. Here is a recently released video of the course being played:

Udisc: Fairway To Heaven - Pentwater, MI | UDisc Disc Golf Course Directory | UDisc

It has a beautiful hole with a basket in the dunes CLOSE to Lake Michigan. Sorry Dfrah, we don't put baskets right on the beach here in West Michigan, for safety reasons my friend. ;)

Fairway to Heavan. the new course in Pentwater has now been open for a month. It's an absolute blast to play and one of the best in West Michigan. Here is a recently released video of the course being played:

Udisc: Fairway To Heaven - Pentwater, MI | UDisc Disc Golf Course Directory | UDisc

It has a beautiful hole with a basket in the dunes CLOSE to Lake Michigan. Sorry Dfrah, we don't put baskets right on the beach here in West Michigan, for safety reasons my friend. ;)

Just heard about this recently! All great things. Can't wait to try it out.

I LOL'ed! :LOL:

Excited to check this one out!

Boooo!

Slow my arse...you take an uncut and unimproved forest and make a course out of it!!! The fundraiser JUST concluded May 30, and we didn't even get the money for another two weeks!!!
We have the rough cut done on holes 1-6, plus the practice area, in just two days. Three more days of clearing, then the contractor/volunteer installing tee pads, and all the baskets have been received and awaiting install. Plus we are building a friggin parking lot! Tee signs will NOT be up until next year so we can fine tune anything. If anything is slow, it's because volunteerism is NOT people's number one priority.
Oof, I feel this comment in my bones! Almost done putting in a course into semi-raw forest (there are trails at least) and the amount of work required is incredible.

The frustrating thing is I could kind of sort of get volunteers initially for a few hours in the beginning. Thing is it takes hundreds of hours to clear and build 18, not dozens. Been spending a lot of lonesome days out there pushing forward. Haven't had a work crew bigger than 3 in two months.

Light is at the end of the tunnel at least. Kiwanis Outdoor Center in Battle Creek should be playable within a week or two! On time with the planning schedule even!

Last edited:
The Baddlands in Hadley. Backyard, 9 hole course on 10 acres. Most holes over 300'. Some elevation. L to R and R to L holes. Fun play. $3. Have to text owner prior to showing up.

Tossing Plastic (Hunter) is making some great local Michigan course content videos. He just did the Tinderbox in Ludington, a little gem that has got some great reviews here on DGCR.

Just did a search for Grand River in this thread to see if it has been mentioned yet. Apparently not. So I guess I'll bring it to y'all's attention now. Plus, I figured if anyone had any questions about a course in the GR vicinity someone would have asked me by now. Right?

There is a new course in the Lowell area called Grand River Riverfront Park DGC (that is the name printed at the top of this map I have, sounds silly). I found it in u-disc a while back, but only played it this afternoon for the first time. It appears to be mostly ready for play, with the exception of no cement teepads & no signage. It could still use one or two more work days to clean up the fairways of loose bits here & there.

I no longer have a phone, so I had to go old school & print off a map that was in the pics of u-disc. Wow, after 300+ courses under my belt, my navigation skills did not fail me (guess those land nav classes in Army basic are everlasting). History has proven that I am no reviewer so I will not do so. Suffice to say, I enjoyed the course & look forward to playing it again once it is finished. And if anyone is looking to play it with a guide, hit me up. But wait until after this blizzard we're supposed to be getting this week.
cement tee pads are in, but still difficult to navigate with no signage. wear long pants & use insect repellent if you dare brave this rustic, unfinished course, hole 1 has sharp bladed, unmowed grass that will slice & dice your lower extremities! i could only make it through about half after walking a full course length trying to find the tees & baskets.

Appreciate your perspective—it's not for everyone.

I like open courses, but only when they actually challenge you to throw a line or play smart placement. Arvesta has that in spades, but I'd also call 1/3 of the course wooded—and elevation certainly comes into play (dramatically on hole 1). I think it's a gorgeous property, but to each their own.

I will say, playing the yellow layout is pretty silly. You're still walking the entire course, and many of the holes are relatively short and unremarkable.
The UToledo college kids loved the layout. It seemed to give them a challenge they appreciated. And they're taking 2-3 teams to the collegiate event next week.