• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Today I walked all 9 of the new holes Kensington Metropark is adding. They're laid out as a 9 hole loop that will fit in between the holes currently numbered 23 & 24.
It's for realz, and they look pretty awesome. :thmbup:

Fairways have been cleared out with heavy equipment. Tee areas prepped with finely crushed gravel, and basket locations staked out. I only saw one tee location for each - don't know if they plan on a 2nd. They got input from the local club (which Mark Ellis is active in), not to mention this is almost literally in Discraft's backyard, so yeah... folks at Discraft have their fingerprints all over this.

The new holes are for definitely the big boyz: long, wooded, hilly, challenging, and decidedly not designed with the newb in mind. Sounds like they're targeting playable in July.

Pretty sure the plan is to end up with two distinct 18 hole courses:
• Current holes 1-18 being Rec/Intermediate level
• Current holes 19-27 plus the new 9 being called a Championship Course, and suitable for Advanced/Open players.

FWIW, if that's how they implement it, I don't think it makes send to RIP the current Black Locust listing. Just amend the current course to #'s 1-18 (they'll likely remain completely unchanged, and in the exact same order).

List the new course as a 2nd course onsite under whatever name they give it, in whatever order the existing + new holes are numbered in.

That said, I wouldn't blame anyone if they reduce their rating once the current 27 hole course is lopped off after current holes 1-18. Many people feel most of the best holes of the current 27 hole course are in the final 9. Seems quite legitimate (even necessary) to re-evaluate a course's rating after it loses several of its best holes.

Semantics aside, you gotta love local course developments recently:
• Stony went from 1x27, to 2x18, a couple of years ago.
• Indy Lake went from 1x24, to 2x18, about a year ago.
• Pine Creek (12 holes) went in less than a year ago.
• Rolling Hills added the Putting Labyrinth, this year, and is also adding at least 6 holes to the current course (and possibly more from what I heard)
• Kensington is going from 1x27, to 2x18.

All this makes them better venues for events, not to mention better destinations for the road tripper. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Will update this thread as things develop and I find out more.
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Great update, Bogey. With Metroparks management newfound friendliness toward disc golf, what's the likelihood that Toboggan turns into a seasonal course in the future? I'm excited for a full month of play this year.

I didn't ask who's designing it but got the impression that it was the DNR themselves. Also not sure on where out there, I didn't realize that that property is as big as it is.

Also, almost forgot. The Oakland County folks are looking at a redesign at Addison. No details yet but they have budget approved for the project, and said that minimally they're looking at multiple tees to make it 'championship level' in terms of distance. The doesn't really fit with the current layout though, most of those holes you can't really extend. We'll have to see what comes of that...

Bad form quoting my own post, but oh well...

Just got an email from Oakland County Parks in follow up to the informational meeting they held. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but their report from the event is available in the link below for anyone who my be interested.

Summary:
https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Pages/Planning.aspx

Full Report: https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Documents/OCPR.DiscGolf.2018.03.14.pdf

Just got an email from Oakland County Parks in follow up to the informational meeting they held. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but their report from the event is available in the link below for anyone who my be interested.

Summary:

Full Report: https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Documents/OCPR.DiscGolf.2018.03.14.pdf

Thanks MHaas. Some interesting stuff I gleaned from the report.

Key Findings: About Survey Respondents

Where they live: Most survey respondents were from Oakland County, followed by nearly one quarter
from Macomb County. See Question 1.

 Where they play disc golf: Survey respondents listed the three courses they played most often. Stony
Creek Metropark and Addison Oaks County Park were each listed by almost half of survey respondents,
followed by River Bends Park and Firefighters Park. See Question 2.
Using a map of southeast Michigan, workshop participants indicated where they played disc golf. The map
exercise agreed with the survey results, with Stony Creek Metropark and Addison Oaks County Park being
most frequented by workshop participants. See Map Exercise.

 Where they would like to see a new disc golf course: With the map exercise, workshop participants
indicated where they would like to see a new course. The four top locations for a new disc golf course
were: Highland State Recreation Area, Proud Lake State Recreation Area, Belle Isle State Park, and Indian
Springs Metropark. See Map Exercise.

 How far they drive to play: Survey respondents drive an average of 31 minutes to play disc golf. The
drive-times listed ranged from 0 minutes to 115 minutes. See Question 2.

 Self-described level of play: Survey respondents were asked to describe their level of play. Over half
described themselves at an advanced level, including "professional", "advanced", "semi-professional",
"competitive", and "high". See Question 3.

 How often they play: All respondents play at least once a week, with most playing at least three times a
week. See Question 4.

 Responses relevant to all or specific courses: Almost all survey respondents answered questions relevant
to all disc golf courses. A few answered specific to Addison Oaks and one person specific to Belle Isle. The
specific responses are not separated out in this report but will be considered as the results are analyzed
further. See Question 5.

Summary:

A little more interesting stuff for comment.

Question 13. What other amenities are important to you when you play disc golf?
Answered by 79 out of 80

Restrooms 71 90%
Picnic tables / benches 60 76%
Convenient parking 59 75%
Stores / gas stations /restaurants 32 41%
Other - describe 25 32%
Barrier free / accessible facilities 14 18%
Campground 11 14%
Play areas for children 8 10%

Summary:

Man, the opportunity to get these municipal entities in a room to listen to disc golfers is amazing. Big thanks to those from the golf community who help set it up and who attended the meeting. If anyone here is one of those folks. I would love to be involved in this. If not maybe somebody knows who to go to, in order to let my interest be known.

Go Belle Isle!!

For you Yoopers, and Sconsiners up Nort

Roadtripped to the UP yesterday

Happy to report that The Tailings is receiving some TLC, aaaand Hardscaping :) Best it's ever looked in the four trips I've taken up there! Thanks to Seth, Ted, Tyler, and UpMountainMan :cool:

Keyes Peak is now 18 Holes! (anyone know how to update the course page!?) Most of the front 9 have Red and Blue pads, if not all. Improves each time I visit

Today I purchased nine Mach 3 baskets, that I'll be donating to the City of Ironwood, MI, for their new course in Norrie Park.

Interesting choice - the Mach 3. Don't get me wrong I love that basket but not the most cost effective choice for someone buying to donate.

If you feel like it, could you explain the motivation? This is coming from a guy who pushed for Mach 3s on my local course despite the hefty price tag.

To me they are an iconic design, available with powder-coating, super beefy to stand up to misuse and neglect, and make a beautiful sound when struck pure with a disc. They also strike a good balance in fairness of catching ability. Not as big of a sweet-spot as the newer Discatchers and Mach X, but better than the inexpensive targets. I need to know if others have the same fascination with these targets! lol

Deadwood DG at Cade Lake County Park and Campground opened this past Saturday in Sturgis with a Grand Opening tournament. 53 players helped to beat the course in. Veteran Baskets, cement pads long and short, scorecards in the camp store, discs and tshirts for sale too. A little wet in spots with the wet spring we've had. Longs are a good, tight challenge. Shorts are designed for beginners/campers and are short, but fun.

Mach 3

Interesting choice - the Mach 3. Don't get me wrong I love that basket but not the most cost effective choice for someone buying to donate.

If you feel like it, could you explain the motivation? This is coming from a guy who pushed for Mach 3s on my local course despite the hefty price tag.

To me they are an iconic design, available with powder-coating, super beefy to stand up to misuse and neglect, and make a beautiful sound when struck pure with a disc. They also strike a good balance in fairness of catching ability. Not as big of a sweet-spot as the newer Discatchers and Mach X, but better than the inexpensive targets. I need to know if others have the same fascination with these targets! lol

They were available, which was my only motivation! I got a great price on a quality basket.

Pamperin Park in Howard WI is getting 9 new holes, and an upgrade on all baskets. Couple friends of mine put me in touch with the right people, and the old Mach 3's are going to become Yoopers!

Good for Pamperin :) Is a beautiful park with much potential. Looking forward to throwing up there

From Hudson Mills on DGS

Please join us Saturday, June 16th, for a Disc Golf Appreciation Day from 11:00-2:00. Disc Golf will be free all day! Free hot dogs and drinks. We will be giving away great prizes including three annual bag tags. The monster baskets will also hit our auction site on this day. Sponsors include Discraft, Innova, A3 Club, CJ's Party Store and the Metroparks. Raffle draw will take place at 2:00 P.M.

Speaking of old Mach 3s..

I will not be participating in the auction this time since I was successful in obtaining one of the original Original Course baskets last year. (Hence my PSA on this one) No link yet to the auction site, but last time they used the "MITN surplus auction" site. Baskets were going for a pretty high dollar though, some of them got to $200 a pop.

With two major events slated for 2018, it looks like Kensignton's Toboggan will be playable for about a good month this year:

USADGC: Major (Fri, Jun 1 - Sun, Jun 3)
Great Lakes Open presented by Discraft: A-Tier (Sat, Jul 7 - Sun, Jul 8)

That's way longer than it's been available the past few years. I'm almost positive the flypads will be removed after each event, but as long as the baskets are in the ground. :thmbup:

So, if you've been itching to play this epic course, but the stoopidly short window of availability didn't work for you, you might want to plan a road trip some time between: Mon Jun 4th - Thu, Jul 5th.

Quality courses within 25 min of Kensington Metropark:
Black Locust (same park)
Lyon's Den (10 min from Kensington)
Cass Benton

Within 30-45 min:
Hudson Mills Original
Hudson Mills Monster
Independence Lake Red Hawk
Independence Lake Red Hawk - X
Rolling Hills

Within 60-75 min:
Addison Oaks

Burchfield and Stony Creek (each with two, tournament quality, 18 hole courses).

Could make a very solid DG road trip. :)

FYI the same $10/car daily park pass that gets you into Kensington also works at Hudson Mills, or Stony Creek (but only on the same day). But IMHO Toboggan + three add'l courses would be a beat down that time of year. If you plan to hit all three Metro Parks, it almost pays to get the Annual Park Pass for $35, and be able to pick them off two at time.
NOTE: Metropark entry fee does not include separate DG fee ($3/person per day).

Indy Lake and Rolling Hills are part of a different park system that charges $10/car, daily, with no add'l fee for DG. Again, the daily pass will get you into the other park on the same day.

Tobo is in the ground! I'm bringing a small contingent of Ohio folks up on Sunday, June 10th. Really looking forward to it, as always.

I walked the holes there yesterday. It looks like sleeves are in the ground for all the baskets. The longs all look like they have crushed gravel in place. 2 tee-pads were poured and a few others had frames up. The shorts still were just stakes in position.

New Michigan Disc Golf Courses (pt II)

Thought we would start a new thread with any new info regarding new courses in the Mitten State as of now (June 2018). A few updates in in the West Michigan area:

-Wallhalla Woods Wallhalla, MI (private with a $5 donation to play, $40 per year membership) Baskets are in and the course is semi-open, meaning not ready for heavy prime-time traffic but if someone recommends you go there and knows about it, very possible to be played. This course has some of the most incredible and diverse wooded environments East of the Mississippi. It's been described as if Leviathan Longs met the elevation changes of Whiskey Creek. Currently dirt tee pads but they may be the best man made dirt tee pads I have ever played. Currently doing MCDGO League nights there on Monday's at 4:30pm. $7 for non-members. This course is gonna be a new crown jewel in the Midwest.

-There is another "possible" course which hasn't been announced yet that lies directly between Wallhalla Woods and Whiskey Creek, and within 20 miles of the Mason County courses. This one will be looked at in the next few weeks. More info to come, but those in the know are super excited about this location.

-Mason County Campground Ludington, MI: This is the campground that is part of the Mason County courses (Beauty, Beast, Goliath). Next year there will be a beginner 18 hole putter/mid-range course attached to the campground that will cater to beginners. something we sorely lack in the Ludington area. Baskets already purchased, budget approved.

In the U.P., the Emac designed 27-hole North Bluff DGC in Gladstone should be opening soon as is the Old Town course in Negaunee. I haven't seen a hard date on either course but North Bluff plans a soft opening with an official opening day tournament to follow. Old Town is ordering shirts and discs for opening day now so they have to be close. The Tailings in Iron River got a complete facelift this spring and is looking the best it ever has. The bugs aren't too bad this year, come on up.