• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Mids with a right to left wind

FriedInTheDesert

Birdie Member
Recommend a mid that gets down better. I've thrown a gator, wasp, and a buzz. When these discs start to fade, they turn into sails and go way left in a right to left wind. I'm flipping them to flat, does this wind call for a hyzer shot? If not, what mids get down with that wind direction? Thanks

Any time you show the bottom of the disc to the wind, it'll get pushed around. You want the top of the disc to be in contact with any non tailwind (for the most part).

I throw undersatble stuff in to a right to left wind if I want a hyzer finish. Fuse to be specific. It doesn't fade abruptly or sail on me. Has worked good so far.

You want to throw something relatively understable. For a right to left wind will push the disc really far left as it fades that way. Whenever the wind gets under the bottom of the flight plate it will push the disc really far that direction. In a left to right wind an understable disc will flip over and get pushed that direction a long way. I personally throw M4's in the wind you speak of.

All hyzer all the time!

You just gotta find something that works, a hyzer works but not always open. So a straight-understable disc will get you there without being pushed left, but if it flips over where the top of the disc is open to the wind, you have a chance of the disc being pushed to the ground. If you are high in the air, it'll drop quickly. If you are closer to the ground you should be stopped pretty close to where it went down.

Assuming you are a right hand player, you're going to have to flick something overstable really flat if you want to finish straight in a right to left wind. The other shot you can do in that wind is a big hyzer, but you will NOT be finishing straight. You just have to plan for that big fade finish. Right to left wind just doesn't leave very many options on the table for a right handed player.

I either aim further right on my line or keep the elevation down to avoid the wind carrying it. I usually throw a new kc roc.

Understable mid thrown flat. The disc will try to turn into the wind but should stay flat and straight.

This^^^

As a general rule for RHBH players.

Right to left wind = throw disc with less stability to keep the disc straighter.
Left to right wind = throw disc with more stability to keep the disc straighter.

The best thing to do is experiment. If you're on the course by yourself and the wind is blowing throw different discs and see how they act. I like to got to a local sports field and throw my mids from all 4 corners of the field. This gives me a good indication of what they will do with wind from all directions. Hope this helps.

i throw something faster and more stable in the right to left wind and throw it softer with some anny. For example if i want to throw a roc in a right to left wind i'll grad my beat trident and give it some anny so the wind pushes it down and since its faster it will go roughly the same distance and the extra stability will get it to fade out.

I just go with a Buzzz FLAT. The understable option will go cut roller if you turn it over. The wind usually holds the buzzz flat and when it fades you might get some pickup so allow for that.

you can do an anny flex with a drone or your gator but that's kind of risky.

Or FH, where the disc will get carried on the turn portion and driven downward on the fade.

This is my least favorite wind, with the exception of the R-L tail/cross wind.

I did throw an eagle and a stalker with a little anny. Works but if I miss just a little and the wind gets under the wing, it's a huge miss to the left. Opto pure worked perfect. Case closed thanks again.

Last edited: