• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

more 3-somes or fewer 4-somes

redbill

We have a very large league (80+ players split on 2 courses). we go back and forth on which is better for pace of play: a large number of 3-somes, or smaller # of 4-somes.

Is there a break-point where 4's are better than 3's? 16 3somes vs. 12 4somes? 12 3somes vs. 9 4somes? etc...

say we fill out 14 3-somes, at that point should we add more 3-somes, or start turning those 3somes into 4-somes.

The course is relatively short (all par-3), but a couple holes generally cause 1-card backups.

thoughts? I lean towards more 3somes are faster.

Threesomes beat foursomes pretty much every time with the only potential X factor being who is in those groups. If we're talking a divisional situation, I might go with a mix of 3 and 4somes with the typically slower divisions grouped in 3s and faster divisions in 4s. I'd combine that with strategic hole assignments that use any empty holes I have to spread people out in a way that will stave off any potential back-ups as long as possible.

3-somes are faster, but is this necessarily what you want? 4-somes are more 'social' and some would argue more fun due to that fact. IE if you show up with a buddy or two and all want to throw together, it's easier to accommodate these things with larger group sizes.