• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to NYC (Brooklyn), Where to play?

BigMerch81

Par Member
I know Prospect Park has an object course that is playable during daytime hours on weekdays. I know Warwick is 40 miles away, FDR state park is just north of the Bronx and they have random doubles in New Jersey at Rutgers on tuesdays. What other courses in NY, NJ and CT are worth playing that are not more then 40-50 miles away from Manhattan and Brooklyn? What about leagues and clubs to look for? I want to find the inner circle of the disc community in the surrounding area. I will also be staying for a month in the Catskills on the NJ, NY and PA border by Milford and Port Jervis, what courses are in the area that are decent?

These will be your two best resources

www.nynjdiscgolf.com
www.nefa.com

Thank you, i will look into those. The other good news is that Long Island has there first dg course. Cedar Beach which is pay to play, all the other courses almost require paying the pricey tolls of leaving and entering NYC, but Cedar Beach will not. It costs $12 to get back into nyc from New Jersey!

I live in Warwick and Beacon Glades isn't too far off. Take 9w north into beacon, straight shot. It's a new course so the signage sucks and it still needs clearing but some fun shots can be had there. FDR is cool but a little boring, and The Oasis Across the street from our brakewell course should be done by late summer early fall. That brings our count of courses in town to three, with double tees and holes on brakewell and [most of] wolfewoods, although I'm not sure about the setup at the oasis. Campgaw is pretty cool too, there are two courses there but the course shuts down in the winter as it's a ski mountain. New paltz also has a course at the Mohonk house which I haven't played yet and hunter isn't too too far.

adevuyst said:
Campgaw is pretty cool too, there are two courses there but the course shuts down in the winter as it's a ski mountain.

Campgaw layout is open year round and plays around but not on the slope. The Mighty Gaw layout that finishes down the ski slope is open late spring to winter.

The best courses in the area (my opinion, with four plus stars on DGCR), all driveable under an hour thirty:

Nockamixon State Park, PA
Tyler State Park, PA
Brakewell, NY
Cranbury, CT
Campgaw, NJ
Leonard Park, Mt. Kisco NY

I live in NYC and play these courses on a rotation. Absolutely love them.

The courses in PA are the best and hardest, Nockamixon being the hardest course I've ever played. Cranbury is crowded with people and dogs, but easy to drive to from Brooklyn and a very good course. Leonard Park is a phenomenal short heavily wooded course that is maybe the oldest on the east coast.. It's from 1979 I think, and is still great even though the chains and (dirt) tee pads are old. Also, it's easily accessible off Metro North for those of us who don't have a car.

Latest posts