• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans?

robbrews

Eagle Member
Since I have picked up the game my friends and I play that you can have one mulligan per round at the tee box unless playing doubles (which of course you can't have any). I was curious to see how many others do the same thing and how much of a rookie fopaux we committed. Your honest opinions please.

Thanks,
Rob

You can make up your own rules for casual play - whatever floats your boat.

Once you start playing with other people you'll find variable tolerance for customizing the rules. It's like trading tiles in Scrabble - some people play that way and some people don't.

In sanctioned tournaments, mulligans are not allowed, AFAIK.

Its just casual with your bros. I usually throw 2 discs per hole if its not busy - that way i get 36 holes in :)

We always play one or two a round.

There is also a rule that if your drive doesn't pass the lady's tee, you have to take your next shot with your pants around your ankles (this is a carry-over rule from ball golf).

Also, I played with a group that had a pretty good rule:

If your throw lands within 15 of you (for any reason) you have to have you picture taken while you point at your disc. This rule is awesome on extremely tight, wooded courses.

One of my friends does a 1 per 9. We don't normally use it unless the drive is just stupid out of the way.

But like mdeth said, if its not busy and its just 2 of us, I throw more than one drive sometimes too.

I know a number of folks---committed longtime tournament players---who, when playing casual, throw 2 off the first tee and play the better throw.

Odd to me, but they do.

Make whatever rules make your casual round (or even league) fun. We often use a "best of 2 drives" rule on the first hole.

We always play one or two a round.

There is also a rule that if your drive doesn't pass the lady's tee, you have to take your next shot with your pants around your ankles (this is a carry-over rule from ball golf).

Also, I played with a group that had a pretty good rule:

If your throw lands within 15 of you (for any reason) you have to have you picture taken while you point at your disc. This rule is awesome on extremely tight, wooded courses.

Ha. I've seen someone hit a tree not 4 feet in front of them and have it roll behind the tee.

Might have to adopt some of those rules!

If I'm trying to be semi diligent about tracking my score, I'll give myself 1 mulligan per 9. I used to play with friends that if you didn't use your mully, you could take a stroke at the end of each 9.

If I'm playing very casual, with friends, we'll take a mulligans on every shot sometimes:)

However, when playing with strangers or with people behind me, I usually only take a mully if I make a really bad shot or if I've created some space...

Fiances son averages about 1 per whole until I get frustrated with letting the whole world play through because of it.

Generally, a casual round, no one cares as long as they know you are going to throw again and dont go walking out in front of you. I dont take them though. Would mess up my self tally.

^^ This. As long as everyone in your group knows and understands the nuances to your casual rounds, it's all good. I have some friends that I'll play with that will take up to one mulligan from the tee per round and others that say it's BS and to just play it where it lies. I'll usually throw a second disc off the tee on every other hole, but not with everybody I play with. It all depends on the other people playing.

When I was first starting out we'd play with a mulligan or two per round. No mulligans in tournaments so I stopped that long ago. Occasionally I'll throw a second shot if I want to try out something different on a hole, but never count it.

The trouble with mulligans is that you never really get a good idea of how much (or how little) you're improving over time.

(The more mulligans you take, the more this holds true.)

Sometimes my friends and I will play 1 mulligan (off the tee only) per 18 holes. Usually this happens after a friend who doesn't play as often has a god-awful drive, and someone will offer up: "One mulligan per 18?"

It's all for fun, so whatever works for your group.

I don't like playing with mulligans. If anything I may take a 2nd drive on a casual hole but always use the first.

Back when I first started playing, I remember my friends and I would always have a mulligan per round. Now, that seems kind of like a distant memory. If my friends and I are playing serious enough that we would allot one mulligan per round, we probably aren't allowing mulligans at all. Nowadays, its more like my boy has a bad throw, he takes another. Nothing is said about it. I'll normally do the same, but I like to keep the worse shot. Makes you better overall.

Once you start playing with other people you'll find variable tolerance for customizing the rules. It's like trading tiles in Scrabble - some people play that way and some people don't.

In sanctioned tournaments, mulligans are not allowed, AFAIK.

It's not that mulligans are not allowed, it's the fact that those "practice throw" penalties will start to stack up and ruin your chances of a win.:p

Latest posts