• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans?

I don't like playing with mulligans. If anything I may take a 2nd drive on a casual hole but always use the first.

Oooo, yes. My thoughts exactly. Part of getting better is learning how to get yourself out of the horrible drive you just had. Comes in handy during tournaments. At the same time if I am getting ready for a tournament on a particular course, I want to know what a good tee shot looks like as well, so I will throw a second and play the first.

The trouble with mulligans is that you never really get a good idea of how much (or how little) you're improving over time.

(The more mulligans you take, the more this holds true.)

Yes, and now part of me wants to come up with the mathmatical formula that proves this.

I don't like playing with mulligans. If anything I may take a 2nd drive on a casual hole but always use the first.

This is what I do as well. If the course isn't busy I will throw an extra shot here or there but I always use my first so I know how I played.

The game is what you make of it. I'm not opposed to taking a mully, I just don't like people who do it consistantly and think they shot a better round than you.

We always play one or two a round.

There is also a rule that if your drive doesn't pass the lady's tee, you have to take your next shot with your pants around your ankles (this is a carry-over rule from ball golf).

Damn, I am glad I never flubbed my shot while I was playing a round with you.:)

I'd give a stranger or a guy off this site as many mulligans as he wanted. I play for fun. Usually. But if I am playing with my 2 local buddies they ain't getting sh*t. If they try to take an extra inch on a lie I'm calling them on it. And when their putts bounce out I am letting them have it. It's just the way it is.

Damn, I am glad I never flubbed my shot while I was playing a round with you.:)

Ha ha, That rule is purely voluntary, but we will make more fun of you if you decide not to do it.

It is a little scary on those ridiculous long holes where the lady tees are a ways up there!

If I'm keeping score either by myself or when competing against others casually I never use mulligans and here's why... I want a *real* score at the end of my round, because that is how I guage my game and progress. If I go out and shoot a 60 (let's say), well was that 60 with one mulligan or none, or was I playing with someone who allows one per 9.. See, the score becomes meaningless. Also, if I go out and shoot a personal best but used mulligans then the score is immediately tainted. Your score is how you measure yourself, and when playing casual I could care less how I finish against my friends, all I care about is what I shot.

The worst though is friends who talk **** after "beating" you when using mulligans. Actually it is not the worst, it is hilarious and I tell them to STFU.

I don't use them at all. when I played ball golf years ago my group would usually play the 1 mulligan per 18 off the tee rule

Rate of Play
Its usually too crowed to take an extra shot for me, If I'm warming up at a course for a tournament I'll just play the whole 9 or 18 multiple times quickly. That way if I **** up on the same hole all three times I play a round I'll know to play a lot safer during the tournament, or just not go for the specific shot that I can almost make but always seem to miss. Find the easiest way to get a better score on the course as a whole.

I think I explained this once before, but my friends in NY had a system called Triads, basically 3 limited mulligans.
New people were allowed 3 do overs, but you could use only one per hole. In the begining you can do 3 of any one of these or mix them (ex. 2 hit baskets 1 redrive):

1) if your disc hits the basket you may count it as in.
2) if you have a crappy drive you may re-throw
3) 1 redo of any OB / water hazard.

After a while (say once they are shooting with in 15-20 of your score for 18:)) they get only one of each for 18.
Then ween them off so they can play the real rules.

The triads usually don't improve your score more than 5 strokes, but it takes pressure off of the new player, also the new players don't get as penalized by mistakes/ bad shots, so their is less frustration. (just explain that this is a handicapping system, not the rules of Disc Golf)

There you go

No wonder posted scores on this site are so low. I never use a mulligan. Never will.

I agree, I also won't play the mulligan nonsense any longer. It's bascially cheating.

Should there be a mens, womens, childrens, transgender pars for each course? How should we measure scores? I hate mulligans too, but some people think rules should be kind of flexible. I mean, you might be good and a 325' hole could be par 3 for you, but for a person considering a transgender operation maybe it should be a par 4. He/She has a lot on his/her mid. I think. Any thoughs?

When my kids and I go out I give them mulligans on their drive, but only if they can run and get their disc and get back on the tee before I count down from 10...you should see them run!

When playing with adults or actually keeping score, I don't use mulligans at all.

Latest posts