• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mvp/Axion bag for beginners

Kattrax

I am curious on what everyone thinks on a bag setup.
Here is my local course https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8194

I have less than a year of throwing under my belt. Here is what i have started out with
Putter = SS Wizard
Mid = Roc
Fairway driver = Leopard
I got my hands on a Neutron Tangent and love how it flies for me. So i am in the process of changing to a Mvp/Axion bag since i like the feel. Here is what i have so far.
Putter = Particle
Mid = Tangent
Fairyway driver = Volt (still likes to dive dead right at the moment. Still working on the release on that one)
Driver = Catalyst (was a Gift, but sits in the bag because the 13 speed is to much for my noodle arm right now)
Other toys in the Bag
Fairway = Teebird in Champion plastic (got it for helping out on a tourny)
Mid = Cobra
Putter = KC Pro Aviar (had to see what all the hype was about. Almost took the place of of the Particle lol )

Last edited:
I am curious on what everyone thinks on a bag setup.
Here is my local course https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8194

I have less than a year of throwing under my belt. Here is what i have started out with
Putter = SS Wizard
Mid = Roc
Fairway driver = Leopard
I got my hands on a Neutron Tangent and love how it flies for me. So i am in the process of changing to a Mvp/Axion bag since i like the feel. Here is what i have so far.
Putter = Particle
Mid = Tangent
Fairyway driver = Volt (still likes to dive dead right at the moment. Still working on the release on that one)
Driver = Catalyst (was a Gift, but sits in the bag because the 13 speed is to much for my noodle arm right now)
Other toys in the Bag
Fairway = Teebird in Champion plastic (got it for helping out on a tourny)
Mid = Cobra
Putter = KC Pro Aviar (had to see what all the hype was about. Almost took the place of of the Particle lol )

Decent mix of discs to work with. Until you build up your technique the volt will likely fly overstable. Use it to throw into headwinds or for skip shots. Experiment with all your molds and different throws etc. No one can tell you what mold is best for your game really.

Did you like the leopard? The MVP relay is one of my favorite molds and would work very well as a go-to driver. Tangent is a good choice but rocs can cover lots of the same lines when seasoned.

The vector is like a slightly faster roc fwiw.

Do you bag a throwing putter? Envy could be worth looking at if just using particle to putt. Good luck!

I will second the Relay it is one of their best easy to throw discs it would be a Leopard replacement. Other than that it is just replacing anything else you aren't happy with in the bag...

The Orbital is a fairly easy to throw disc too as MVPs most understable driver. Don't be afraid to try some of the drivers in lighter weights 165g is my goto when I'm checking out a new disc. I'm also partial to the Envy as an approach and main putter.

If you are having trouble forehanding that Volt I had success with a fission (lightweight) Photon plenty stable for noodle arms even at 150g.

Get a Relay first....

Do you bag a throwing putter? Envy could be worth looking at if just using particle to putt. Good luck!
I was in the marksman putting league so i have 5 of the Particles and have one marked as putter only and use another as the driving putter. Have to say the envy looks very interesting.

Did you like the leopard? The MVP relay is one of my favorite molds and would work very well as a go-to driver.

Other than the Tangent, The Leopard is the other disc that when I throw it i know where it is going so far. So i was looking for Mvp/Axiom version Looks like the Relay will come into the bag. My leopard is a 160 or 169 can not remember.

The vector is like a slightly faster roc fwiw.
I am sure it is form related but for some reason The Roc I had was not very predictable. The Tangent on the other hand I know where it is going. But that being said most times I use it on straight shots or when I can get that fade to the left.

ThrowaEnvy The Orbital is a fairly easy to throw disc too as MVPs most understable driver
With my technique being what it is right now and the catalyst being a 13 speed and on a good day I only get it 230. And the Volt being a speed 8.2 speed and right now it crashes and burns left. Is the Orbital one i should hold off on till my form is better?

If you are having trouble forehanding that Volt I had success with a fission (lightweight) Photon plenty stable for noodle arms even at 150g.
I have not tried forearming it yet. Been more focused on trying to get a better RHBH flight out of it

Since I have the Leo right now. And have to watch what I spend. Do you think i should add the Vector first so i can work on shot shaping and use the Leo till I get the Relay. Or do you think getting the Relay first is the better idea? Wish i could just replace all at once lol.

Knowing how far you throw the Innova discs you named would be really helpful finding good matches for you in the MVP/Axiom lineup.

The Tangent is a great neutral mid that is shapeable, friendly and use-able to a wide variety of arms. It's a great disc to build the core of your bag around.

From the sound of it you would be better off with an Inspire or Relay than with a Volt, which is a faster and more stable disc than either of those or your Leopard. I throw fairways around 350', and the Inspire is a great hyzer-flip-to-flat and long gradual turnover disc for me. It will probably fly a bit more stable for you, but will be much more forgiving with less fade than a Volt. I haven't thrown a Relay, but it's a bit slower than the Inspire and is also probably a good bet.

The Proxy is an awesome driving and approach putter. Easiest disc to throw dead straight that I've ever thrown. Great for short tight tunnel shots. I can't recommend it enough.

FWIW, my bag is built around MVP/Axiom and is basically Proxy (putting and driving putter), Crave/Inspire fairways, Tesla/Photon drivers. I've filled that out with a few other discs I like from other companies - the Suspect as a slow workhorse mid, the Lace for max D, soft VP for hit-and-stick approaches - and some additional utility from MVP (Resistor, Motion, Theory). While some of that could change in the future I've thrown more or less this for a few years now and am really happy with it. The Crave/Inspire combo is totally awesome, especially as your D improves a bit.

I'd definitely try the Relay. You don't need anything faster than a FW driver right now. Keep the Volt for overstable/wind but a Crave/Clash/Servo etc will probably be more manageable for straight to fade shots right now. The Vector might be more than your form can handle right now but the Tangent is a great one-mid wonder so you're not hurting too much in that dept. If the Tangent becomes hard to keep straight or get to fade, try an Alias. It flies similar to a Tangent but more resistant to turning over. Theory is also a great, beginner friendly mid.

Everything /\ those guys said... don't bother with the vector.. If the Tangent gets too turny I would consider a heavier fresh one, next step up would be an Axis imo, definitely try one before a Vector.

Look for a 165g Relay.. Consider a Signal it is less stable than a Relay. Keep your Volt and Catalyst but try forehanding them and keep them they will fill new needs soon enough. If you see a Comet try it...

Last edited:
Went searching online today for the Relay sadly Disc golf center only has 162 and then 173 would you go up or down or spend the 4 dollars freight and get one from infinate disc. the leopard i have is a 169

Knowing how far you throw the Innova discs you named would be really helpful finding good matches for you in the MVP.
I am planning to get out to the field this weekend some and will be able to get you some numbers Qikly. Has been super hectic as of late. Did not even get to go to league this weekend.

Latest posts