• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole Pro portables for private course?

kerplunk

Double Eagle Member
So I am "installing" a course on my property, and I am thinking about getting 6 MVP Black Hole Pro baskets. I realize these are not technically meant to stay outside, but I don't really care if they rust a little bit. At this point I don't really have the need for course-quality baskets, and I like the idea of being able to move them around and assemble/disassemble them pretty easily, especially since I can see the course changing a lot as I get other ideas and suggestions from other people.

So what do you think? Will I be okay with the MVP Black Holes Pros? Will I later regret not getting higher quality baskets? FWIW I got one last week and I really like it, so no concerns about ordering six baskets before I have tried them.

Who are you trying to impress? Baskets with some rust catch just as well as new ones.

At our private course we have 3 Innova Sports with chains added---1 of which is a practice basket. We've had them 10 or 12 years, and they've got a bit of rust, mostly on the chains (particularly the practice basket. I'm not sure why). If people have complaints, they've kept them to themselves.

I would guess the MVP Black Holes are similar in durability, though they've haven't been around long enough to know for sure.

I think Sugaree recently got Pros. That is one stellar course, even with the homemades the Pros replaced.

If you notice them looking really bad (to you) you can clean them up pretty easily.

I have one that permanently lives outside and i just coated it with a couple layers of clear coat on the band, basket, and chains to keep it from rusting. Its been outside in the elements for the past 3 ish months and there is no sign of rust.

Thanks for the input folks. I am going to go ahead and order the other 5. You are all welcome to come play if you are ever in Red Rock, Texas (~30 minutes southeast of Austin).

Almost a year in with my baskets and they are holding up very well. They have been outside uncovered the entire time. And I'm not in the desert part of Texas, it gets really humid here. No snow though, to be fair.

I honestly think that MVP was going for a basket that can be left outside, but is not necessarily meant to be left outside. Basically underpromise and over deliver, which is usually a good way to do business. I am extremely satisfied with my baskets, and I have and will continue to recommend them to others. I will also strongly consider MVP if I am ever in the market for "better" baskets.

Why would any company make a disc golf basket that is not meant to go outside??

Perhaps it can go outside, but not stay outside for long periods of time.

Innova Sports are like this. They're intended as portables---you can move them around, move them from garage to yard, etc. But if you leave them outside of a period of years, they won't fare as well as the full disccatchers. (They'll still work, they'll just be rusty).

Why would any company make a disc golf basket that is not meant to go outside??
Good question. I've had the MVP Black Hole Pros outside for 6 years and only one out of 25 has rusted. The only thing about leaving them outside is the connecting pieces have fused together, which doesn't bother me a bit.
Perhaps, the companies who sell permanent and practice baskets, just don't want folks to know that there is a cheaper option out there.

Latest posts