• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag. What could I use?

CGarcia

Basically, I'm a predominant RHBH thrower, but I also can throw a decent RHFH. For my BH throws, I hover around 350 average, but hitting 400 isn't exactly rare. For my FH, I usually stick around 325 accurately.

Currently I have the following:

Long Drivers
Star Wraith, 172 -- This was my first long range drive, don't use it much, but can't bring myself to take it out of my bag.
GL Halo, 173 -- I hated it at first, but after it got beat in some, it's become my Go-to driver for BH and FH. I get my longest drives using this.
Ch. Sidewinder, 172 -- Use this for my big anhyzer shots and when I need a long FH with some turnover.

Fairway Drivers
DX Cheetah, 175 -- Used for underpowered straight shots
Pro Cheetah, 165 -- Really beat in, used for smaller anhyzers

Mid Range
Ch. Cobra, 174 -- Old, Used for beating out of bushes
DX Cobra, 180 --Used for extremely short anhyzers (within 50ft)
DX Shark, 165 -- Used for really short hyzers and long, open approach shots.
Pro Shark, 168 -- REALLY old and beat in, flies ridiculously straight. Kind of afraid of using it for anything that I have to put any sort of arm to because its PERFECT for what I use it for

Putters
Star Aviar Driver, 170 -- Only putter. Used from short and long distances. I had a regular Star Aviar too, but I threw it off into a lake.

In the near future, I'll be picking up a new Star Aviar (I love them).

Any suggestions for discs to pick up would be great. I've been thinking about grabbing a Nuke, a Boss, and a Dart. I am trying to limit myself to less molds, but I am willing to try out some stuff that might have a chance to improve my game.

Thanks for help in advance.

My thoughts:

-All your mids are for specialty shots, most of them short or underpowered. Where's the mid you bust out for a 270-300' shot with a tight line?

-Fairway drivers are both understable, you might want to add an Eagle/Teebird/PD/OLF something like that.

-Speed 13 discs aren't that great for someone throwing as far as you do. I throw Destroyers 400-420 consistently and I have an E* Boss which is too much disc for me. You may like the Nuke though, but I don't know if it will magically help your game like it has for others.

Maybe a true all purpose mid like a Roc or Buzzz. A Star Aviar for putting? Whatever works. I used to throw Aviars all the time for putting but the Star plastic just wasn't working well for putts. Any Gateway putter are awesome for putts. Otherwise a very simplistic bag.

My thoughts:

-All your mids are for specialty shots, most of them short or underpowered. Where's the mid you bust out for a 270-300' shot with a tight line?

-Fairway drivers are both understable, you might want to add an Eagle/Teebird/PD/OLF something like that.

-Speed 13 discs aren't that great for someone throwing as far as you do. I throw Destroyers 400-420 consistently and I have an E* Boss which is too much disc for me. You may like the Nuke though, but I don't know if it will magically help your game like it has for others.

I don't really know a decent mid that I could use for that. Any suggestions?

As far as fairway drivers, you're absolutely right. I've been considering picking up an eagle because I've only heard praise about them. Is that the best option?

As far as the speed 13 discs, I've just found them to be a lot more manageable (weird, right?). I know I don't have a lot of distance, but I think I get a lot of spin on discs. But being too much disc is exactly what I was worried about with the boss. I know I have my limits.

Maybe a true all purpose mid like a Roc or Buzzz. A Star Aviar for putting? Whatever works. I used to throw Aviars all the time for putting but the Star plastic just wasn't working well for putts. Any Gateway putter are awesome for putts. Otherwise a very simplistic bag.

I don't want to start up any massive fight like I've seen on this forum, but which would you guys recommend? Roc or Buzz? Or are they in all reality interchangeable?

And yeah, I know the Star is strange, but I feel like it just floats in better than champions and I find the DXs and Pros to change flight paths too often over time of use.

Basically, I played a lot when I first started, but since I've played quite rarely (10-15 times a year). I'm beginning to have more time and am looking to improve.

I have experience with the PD and Eagle. The Eagle is awesome, handles winds well, works good lines, no complaints from me.

There are plenty of threads on Buzzz vs Roc, either is a good choice and I don't know if one can be recommended. I like both mids but currently use a Comet/Roc combo.

I have used both a buzzz and a roc and I prefer the roc after it gets beat in. Brand new I hated the roc but after it got beat up I took the buzzz out and bought another roc.

Basically, I'm a predominant RHBH thrower, but I also can throw a decent RHFH. For my BH throws, I hover around 350 average, but hitting 400 isn't exactly rare. For my FH, I usually stick around 325 accurately.

Currently I have the following:

Long Drivers
Star Wraith, 172 -- This was my first long range drive, don't use it much, but can't bring myself to take it out of my bag.
GL Halo, 173 -- I hated it at first, but after it got beat in some, it's become my Go-to driver for BH and FH. I get my longest drives using this.
Ch. Sidewinder, 172 -- Use this for my big anhyzer shots and when I need a long FH with some turnover.

Fairway Drivers
DX Cheetah, 175 -- Used for underpowered straight shots
Pro Cheetah, 165 -- Really beat in, used for smaller anhyzers

Mid Range
Ch. Cobra, 174 -- Old, Used for beating out of bushes
DX Cobra, 180 --Used for extremely short anhyzers (within 50ft) Use a Putter!!!!!
DX Shark, 165 -- Used for really short hyzers and long, open approach shots.
Pro Shark, 168 -- REALLY old and beat in, flies ridiculously straight. Kind of afraid of using it for anything that I have to put any sort of arm to because its PERFECT for what I use it for

Putters
Star Aviar Driver, 170 -- Only putter. Used from short and long distances. I had a regular Star Aviar too, but I threw it off into a lake.

In the near future, I'll be picking up a new Star Aviar (I love them).

Any suggestions for discs to pick up would be great. I've been thinking about grabbing a Nuke, a Boss, and a Dart. I am trying to limit myself to less molds, but I am willing to try out some stuff that might have a chance to improve my game.

Thanks for help in advance.
I don't think a Dart will do you anything the Aviar can't. Either Buzzz or Roc will overlap with the Sharks, a new Buzzz will fly like your Pro Shark and a new Roc will fly like your DX Shark.

The Wraith and Halo overlap a little too much, and if you throw a Boss or Nuke in with these you'll have real overlap city. If you really like the Halo and gold line plastic, you could try out a Striker and a River for your fairway drivers, although a River would overlap with the Sidewinder and Cheetahs a bit.

Really, your only glaring hole is a beefy, overstable disc, so you could pick up a Banshee, Firebird, Predator, xXx, Whippet, Viper, etc.

Are there any particular aspects of your game that you feel is weak or that you'd like to work on?

If you are anything like me, you may have a problem with the sidewinder turning over a lot, if you do the answer is a roadrunner.:thmbup:

I don't think a Dart will do you anything the Aviar can't. Either Buzzz or Roc will overlap with the Sharks, a new Buzzz will fly like your Pro Shark and a new Roc will fly like your DX Shark.

The Wraith and Halo overlap a little too much, and if you throw a Boss or Nuke in with these you'll have real overlap city. If you really like the Halo and gold line plastic, you could try out a Striker and a River for your fairway drivers, although a River would overlap with the Sidewinder and Cheetahs a bit.

Really, your only glaring hole is a beefy, overstable disc, so you could pick up a Banshee, Firebird, Predator, xXx, Whippet, Viper, etc.

Are there any particular aspects of your game that you feel is weak or that you'd like to work on?

I'd really like to be able to drive further (along with everyone I guess). I've been working on the "hit backwards" approach, but it's slow.

Other than that, I really have an issue with creating a really sharp, short hyzer shot.

Also, I don't putt well outside of 20+ feet.

Guess I have a lot of weaknesses, lol. But I'll get there.

Thanks again for all of the help you guys are throwing out there. I think I'm still gonna grab a Nuke just to see if it feels better in our hands.

So I'm thinking a Predator, an Eagle, a Nuke, and a Roc (just to see if I can throw it better than my Shark). Good?

Hate to double post, but to correct above "see if it feels better in MY hands"*

Also, do you think I should go with the Eagle or the Striker? I know the Striker is a little faster, but... suggestions?

Other than that, I really have an issue with creating a really sharp, short hyzer shot.

Also, I don't putt well outside of 20+ feet.

So I'm thinking a Predator, an Eagle, a Nuke, and a Roc (just to see if I can throw it better than my Shark). Good?
That can be tricky if you had developed the habit of throwing flat or anhyzer like I did, just take it slow and make sure you're maintaining a hyzer plane with your arm and shoulders all the way through your follow through and keep that wrist from rolling over.

Long putts just take time and practice, there's no magic disc really (although my Soft Ion feels magical :D). Some guys like a lighter putter for long putts b/c they can give it a little more oomph while staying in their putting motion. An Aviar P&A (the beadless one) has a little less fade and might help if you want to stay in the Aviar family (I think Star Aviars are the P&A mold but I'm not sure).

Hate to double post, but to correct above "see if it feels better in MY hands"*

Also, do you think I should go with the Eagle or the Striker? I know the Striker is a little faster, but... suggestions?
Well, I think the Eagle will replicate a Halo's flight better than a Striker b/c Strikers are more like faster Teebirds. Star Eagles are the best flying of the premium plastic and DX Eagles are a blast too.

Latest posts