• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag

jarvis73

I am sort of a newer player (have been playing for less than a year) so I'm posting my bag on here to see what the people with a ton of experience think about it. I currently am throwing my longest driver around 400 on open holes sometimes just a little bit further. I also am a predominantly backhand player especially off of the tee.

Drivers:
175 Star Wraith (max distance, worn in and just a bit flippy)
175 Star Wraith (new and still pretty stable)
171 Star Wraith (also worn in and a little more flippy)
175 Champ Boss (only use it for spike hyzers and OH throws)
175 Champ Orc (worn in a ton and very flippy used for anhyzers)
175 Champ Orc (newer orc that is used for precision drives)
167 Champ Valk (super flippy and I use it for rollers only)
175 KC Pro 10x Eagle (use it as a fairway driver mostly)

Mids/Putters:
172 DX Aviar (use for windy day putting)
165 DX Aviar (use for putting on any calm day)
178 Gateway Warrior (use for almost all mid range shots)
177+ 2010 Ace Race disc (use for shorter hyzers with my mid)

My current bag only holds 12 discs max, but I just ordered a new one that holds around 20. One of the main reasons I got it is so that I can start carrying more midrange discs. I'm going to be getting a few rocs and buzzzs in the near future to try them both out. Other than those is there any discs that you guys think would fill some spots I am missing or could potentially help out my game?

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

You don't have a meathook. Something really overstable you can chuck into a headwind and use as a utility disc for shots to get you out of trouble. The standards for that are the Innova Firebird and Discraft Predator; the Latitude 64 xXx is a new disc that fits into this category. It looks like you might be using the Boss for some of those uses, but I think as you develop a really overstable disc is going to fit you better.

You are going to work on the weakness of your mid selection, and it sound like you have a good plan there. The disc some Ultimate guys like as a mid is the Discraft Comet because you throw it more like a lid VS a Buzzz that you mostly just nut on. You might want to try one out at some point to see if it fits your throwing style.

I prefer a beaded putter like a KC Aviar or a Wizard, but that is personal preference. If you are happy with the DX Aviars you should stick with them. A lot of people will point out the weights of your putters and say you need to go max weight, but I get really good distance on calm days with a 167g Aviar so I don't think the weights are an issue.

The Orc and Wraith are pretty close. If you are getting different results from them that's cool, but you might try dumping the precision Orc for a TeeBird or a PD. Actually, don't try TeeBirds or PD's. You are already beating up on us as it is.

you are all distance, but no short.

consolidate...
you have 7 max distance drivers

1 fairway driver

2 approach drivers

2 putters

I've found that in the max distance you only need 4 discs...
re: Drivers
if it were me, i'd go buy a Destoyer (It's the longer version of your wraith), a Beast (A true turnover/understable driver), Keep 1 Wraith (All Purpose FH/BH and Old Reliable) and 1 Orc (Precision Drives)

that should leave space for:
EXPANDING YOUR <non>Max Distance Drivers (aka "Discing Down")
Now that you can drive 400' discing down is your friend.... when you can push a Teebird 325'+, a Buzzz 300', a roc 275'+ and a putter 225'+ the game gets easier as you can point shoot and park anything under 325'...
get:
The following trio is the "point shoot park" pack for Discing Down.
175 STAR Teebird (you seem to have power, so anything other than star will be too flippy) - Great Forehand
175 STAR Eagle - Teebird variation. When you learn the differences you understand why you need both. - Great Forehand
(when the warrior finally kicks out) 175 STAR TL - with your power, i would guess this might replace your orc as a "precision driver")

let's talk about the short fairway/long approach...
(Ace Race Disc) Ditch it... (probably) Too heavy to be really useful.
GET: Champion Roc (or Wasp)
get: Buzzz - Long straight. - All Purpose Control
get: Rhyno (or Pig) - "Damage control", wind, FH, and "Stay on the ground", Putter
with these 3, and your power you have another trifecta.

Get a Putter (to use as a driver): I use Rhyno. (Ion has been very well spoken also...)

you have the power to maximize all the non-superfast discs.... instead of going faster, go slower.....the day you pick up your buzzz and park a 300' hole you'll "get it".....
Disc Down... you are the perfect candidate for this as you have the power. When you do (with the right discs) you will see your score drop rapidly and your consistency grow. (it wont take long as you have to learn to "control" not learn to throw farther as most DD guys have to. <- They start DD, immediately realize the potential and then realize they need to get stronger to get their discs as far as they need them...)

Yeah thats kind of what I figured I needed to start doing. Thank you very much for the input.

Yeah I'll just reiterate that you should swap out that Champ Boss for a more naturally overstable driver like a Firebird, Banshee, Pred, xXx, et cetera. The Boss is more speed stable than it is naturally OS so one day it will flip on you in a strong headwind and you'll be left scratching your head.