• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My girly starter bag

In a general sense stability is how hard and how quickly a disc will fade, keeping in mind that ALL discs fade to some degree.

Only true when it comes to mids and drivers. There are a few putters that have no fade to them, when thrown level. The more of a lid it is, I've found, the less fade you'll get.

Gophers, Birdies, 86 Molds, the vintage Gumbputts, Classic Aviars, Polecats...

Last edited:
I hope I don't make things more confusing with this post, but I want to clarify a thing or two that Monocacy said.

You're almost completely right (and you did a better job explaining it than I could've, so kudos). Overstable discs will fade hard at the end of their flight, and require a little more snap in most cases in order to fly straight. The Comet isn't a truly understable disc, it is a perfectly stable one. If thrown how it's meant to be thrown (smoothly with some snap but not overpowered), it will go dead straight with little or no fade on the end. Yes, you can make it fly left by putting hyzer on it (tipping the wing down) or right by putting anhyzer on it (tipping the wing up), but it is meant to fly dead straight.

If you want a real understable disc that you can hyzer flip like Monocacy was talking about, get a Meteor. It also has great glide.

It's making a bit more sense since finding out that it's HOW you throw the disc. I was aware that a high speed disc requires a strong arm and good throw and that's why I have mostly lower speed drivers (at least I think 7 and 8 is low) except for the beast which I never use.

I think knowing that information could help me make sense of the things I have already read. I haven't hyzer'd or even thought about trying it until I have improved keeping my throw totally level. Guess I'm trying to get the basics down first before trying anything fancy, although before I bought my lighter discs thumbin' it worked best for me.

So, where's the best place to start? what is the most basic form of disc golf that I should worry about perfecting? And for that, what is the best disc for your standard in shape but not powerhouse type of girl? I have definitely noticed that going down to a 150 -160 disc made a HUGE difference for me and I will probably not stray too much from that range for now.

Bill - On a Good throw in an open field, I can get a little over 200 I think. Otherwise and more commonly, a bit under.

To tell u the truth, my #1 main driver when I was a beginner was a 172 DX Beast. I could throw that soo far once it got beat in a little. The Beast is actually a good disc for a beginner, but the 134G weight is too light... it depends on the wind, and how hard you are actually throwing. So you may actually do okay with a heavier beast... say 160 Champion.

Sidewinders are made to turn to the right, but they hold their line & usually don't come back. But it depends on the angle you are releasing the disc at (IMO) - Try doing the hyzer flip thing I mentioned before. It's a very small change though... tilt a little to the left & keep the front end slightly nose down. I hold my discs at the 3 o' clock position. It will start out a little left & turn over straight. So freakin' cool to see. But you need to twist those hips and flick that wrist a little harder (or less if you are a natural) :)

I still throw what people call "understable" using the hyzer flip to adjust it & keep it from going right. If you are throwing your SW to the right, then you need to move up in the catagory. Next in line is a Valkyrie. After that is a Viking. These are all a speed of 9, and they are all I throw (except for a Tee-bird and the occasional Destroyer for a flick).

It's making a bit more sense since finding out that it's HOW you throw the disc. I was aware that a high speed disc requires a strong arm and good throw and that's why I have mostly lower speed drivers (at least I think 7 and 8 is low) except for the beast which I never use.

I think knowing that information could help me make sense of the things I have already read. I haven't hyzer'd or even thought about trying it until I have improved keeping my throw totally level. Guess I'm trying to get the basics down first before trying anything fancy, although before I bought my lighter discs thumbin' it worked best for me.

So, where's the best place to start? what is the most basic form of disc golf that I should worry about perfecting? And for that, what is the best disc for your standard in shape but not powerhouse type of girl? I have definitely noticed that going down to a 150 -160 disc made a HUGE difference for me and I will probably not stray too much from that range for now.

Bill - On a Good throw in an open field, I can get a little over 200 I think. Otherwise and more commonly, a bit under.

You are in good shape distance wise. I would suggest a 165ish pro leopard, throw that sucker til you make it turn right, then get a new one for your straight shots and keep turning the old one over, having a strong turnover shot will give you an advantage over a lot of other women.

With a 200' drive you almost always have a 100+' upshot to make, learning a mid or how to drive a putter is essential to your game.

With Christy it seems that every 50' of distance she gained she basically had to learn everything over again...what I mean is:

Let's take a 300' hole

When you throw 150' you need 2 strong max distance drives to get there and are probably 30=40' wide or short when all is said and done...gimme a 4.

When you throw 200' you suddenly need to be able to throw a disc 100' so you learn a putter or mid and hopefully park a decent percentage and start getting more 3s.

When you throw 250' you need to either be able to ring 50' putts or putt a good layup and control roll or sliding...more 3s and some 2s

275' and you are putting after your drive...more 2s

etc...

Hard to find because of the weight or just that type of disc? The woman at the Clearwater disc shop told me I would have a hard time finding any lightweight disc in better plastic but my 151 sidewinder is champion. Where are the best places to find rarer products like this?

I would actually suggest more in the low 160s to mid 160s.

150s get squirrelly pretty fast and the few grams won't hurt your distance much but will help your control a lot.

I shop at Marshall Street, disc golf center, and Gotta Go Gotta Throw mostly.

I have 150 champ gazelles, 150 sirius orions, 162 quantum orions, 165 champ banshees, 165 blaze, 165 gator etc etc...there are plenty of lighter weight discs.

your bag looks fine. learn the discs you have. its the archer, not the arrow.;)

do you have a pic youd care to share? are you really as hot as the girl in your profile pic?...

The hyzer line. You can throw more lines with a hyzer than anything else I think, and it doesn't encourage OAT via wrist roll over like flat or anhyzer releases do. Learning to throw a gentle hyzer also encourages shifting your weight forward and keeping the nose down, two very important things and the bane of many disc golfers.

I'd probably get a 150 champ Leo and or anything in the speed 6 range (Cheetah, Gazelle, Cyclone, etc) and just work on hyzers with it and your mids and putters. There was a great thread on DGR about line-shaping drills but I can't find it right now. I'd also focus on learning how to find "the hit" or "snap" first using the hammer pound (look in the technique sticky) and then work on x-steps and all that.

Welcome!!!!

The TL is a great disc for where you are now. Strangely the first disc to really click with me was the 150 class Surge - it's a high speed driver but it's very forgiving and easy to control in the 150 class while the standard Surge is a whole different disc. The light weight discs will really help keep your form smooth because they'll flip or get squirrelly if you try to muscle them.

I love, Love, LOVE my Comets and they've really cleaned up my form. If you don't like the bead on the Comet or the rim depth on the Roc, look for a Champ Panther.....it's a straight flying mid that can even work as a putter.

Typically I'm throwing drivers in the 150-160 range, fairways (Leopards rock) in the 150-168 range, mids in the 165-177 range and 175-180 putters.

I did a lot of experimentation with putters (Aviar, Magnet, Challenger, Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Omega Supersoft) before I finally settled on the Soft Banger GT. The soft plastic, rim shape, and thumb groove really work for me.

dawn: check out herodiscusa.com it's innova's japan division and they sell light discs wicked cheap and ship quick!!

Hi Dawn;

I ran across this last night. HTH Here's the link:

http://www.discgolfstation.com/Beginners-Corner--Beginner-Disc-Golf_c_162.html#first

Disc selection is crucial, especially early on in your discgolf career. Many people buy the coolest looking/sounding disc that they saw someone else throwing. The likelihood that the disc is too fast and too overstable for them is high. The chance that they will immediately be successful with a disc like this is low. Don't choose a golf disc because you THINK you can make it work. Choose the RIGHT disc for YOU.

So, what disc is "right" for a beginner. Here's a rule of thumb, beginner disc golf is about throwing lighter weights & understable to stable discs. Lighter weights are less than 170g. There are also many discs that weigh 150g (called the 150 Class) that are good choices for beginners. You can get discs that are even less than 150g but these are best suited for youths, some women, or anyone that doesn't or can't throw as hard. Understable discs will give a beginning player the MOST distance early on. I repeat, if you want to throw far from the get go (like we all do) then pick a disc that is understable or stable at most. Avoid overstable discs while you're still learning. Understable golf discs will turn right (for Right Hand Backhand shots) when thrown fast and flat. With a hyzer angle, understable discs will produce a great "S-curve" that yields maximum distance. Many pros and advanced players choose understable discs to achieve great distances by this method (called hyzer flip).

The next principle by which to abide is that beginner's should start with Putters and Mid-Ranges. I wouldn't have believed this when I first started playing if someone told me so. "Surely, I won't get the distance I need from mids and putters." Try me! Even now, I can throw my mids over 300 ft consistently and upwards of 350 ft. The furthest I usually drive is 360-400 ft with my maximum distance driver disc, but I normally throw 300-325 ft . Now, first things first, I personally should be driving further. More importantly than my own shortcomings though, the principle you MUST understand is that with proper technique, you can throw mid-range discs really far!

Latest posts