• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] My Great Putter Problem

Exovel

Eagle Member
First, I know there are a lot of putter decision threads (and I've read them all) but I still don't feel like I have found the perfect putter for me and I'm really itching to make a decision and stick with it. So, I thought I'd lay out what I'm looking for and see what you all have to say.

For some background, I'm more of a hybrid/spush putter. I to try to run straight at the pole, as opposed to some hyzer or anny line. I've used the Rhyno, Dart, Voodoo, Wizard, and Judge for my primary putting duties at various times in the past ~5 years... while also having some passing experience with the Aero, Aviar, PA1, Warlock, Magic, Warden, Pure, P2, Focus, Magnet, Challenger, and Anode. However, that's not to say any of those can't be THE putter for me. In fact, perhaps they are, but they didn't seem like it at the time. Feel free to let me know if I should go back to one of them.

So, here's what I'm looking for:

1. Shallow - I've got relatively small hands, and I feel like I can't get the grip I want with most putters. I use a fan grip and (with the Wizard specifically) I can barely get my finger pads on the flight plate. It's more than just rim depth, though, because discs like the PA1 have a relatively low rim depth but feel incredibly thick/awkward in my hand.

2. Stable/Overstable - I definitely don't want an understable putter. I prefer something pretty straight/stable, but I think I can handle something on the overstable side. Mostly, though, I want to be able to use my putter mold for drives as well as putts, and I want something HSS that won't flip off the tee.

3. Plastic Options - I want a grippy/chalky plastic. My favorite plastics are Gateway's Eraser and the Trilogy Medium/Blend. So something that feels similar would be awesome. I'd also REALLY like the putter to be available in a Champ or Star type of plastic for driving.

4. Bead vs Beadless - I have more experience with beaded putters and I like that they seem to retain their stability longer, but honestly, I really don't care that much. Blasphemous, I know.

5. Availability - This is probably the least important, but I'd prefer a disc that's not OOP or from a tiny company that's difficult to track down.

So, that's it, folks. My perfect putter... or at least what I think is my perfect putter. If there are other questions that are important to answer, let me know. But I'm really excited to see what you think will fit my description. Thanks in advance!

The judge is a nice little take on the wizard/bb aviar but features a lower profile.
Avaiable in champ style as well as several baseline feels. They fly stable to slightly OS off the tee and put nicely. Id say this would be an easy disc to give a go.

Have you tried a Harp? I have been having good luck with it for driving and putting. Its kind of a tweener so you have to adjust a little so you dont overshoot your target on longer putts. Fits the stability you are looking for. Nice plastic options including VIP. I would like to make it my only putter but am having a hard time giving up a more neutral putter mold like the Swan2 or Pure.

2. Stable/Overstable - I definitely don't want an understable putter. I prefer something pretty straight/stable, but I think I can handle something on the overstable side. Mostly, though, I want to be able to use my putter mold for drives as well as putts, and I want something HSS that won't flip off the tee.

I have never understood how people putt with stable to overstable putters. I guess i just don't have the power.

I spush putt as well. I have 3 Pures, Zero Hard, Soft, and a RGL for driving. I love this putter. I started out using a Dart, then moved to a SSS Voodoo. I'll probably get the Pure in Opto as well (not impressed with the RGL mold.) and I'll deferentially get one in Frost if it comes. I don't have a lot of experience with OS putters. i'll likely try a Sinus out if I come across one cheap at PIAS.

The tricky part is you want something that is stable enough to drive with as well.
I'd say wizard...
most straight putting putters aren't great for driving in my experience.
maybe you should copy some pros that putt straight up.
eric mccabe likes the mercy.
sarah cunningham i think uses a r pro aviar.
simon lizotte p2
not sure what michael johansen uses but it's pretty straight
i'm sure i'm missing a bunch of others

I'm biased to the Judge, but if I had to suggest an alternative that fits into your criteria...

Vibram Ridge

The judge is a nice little take on the wizard/bb aviar but features a lower profile.
Avaiable in champ style as well as several baseline feels. They fly stable to slightly OS off the tee and put nicely. Id say this would be an easy disc to give a go.

Agreed. Judge has really been successful as a more user friendly big bead putter. Lucid Judge is a solid driving putter, it's not quite as stable as a Wizard or KC Aviar but definitely has a good amount of glide. I've never putted with them, but the plastic feels nice and is readily accessible.

I putt with Gateway and it sounds like you have some experience with the Wizard and Magic. If the depth of the rim is an issue, you might consider trying out the Chief or the Shaman. They fly similar to Gateway's flagship putters but these newer molds are much more slim. I don't know how else to describe it, but it's like they took the Wizard and Magic molds and smashed them into a flat putter. Gateway has several plastic blends that should fit your needs. I hope something sticks soon. Once you commit, get at least two putters that are identical so you can practice and get used to the new mold. Best of luck to you!

I putt with Gateway and it sounds like you have some experience with the Wizard and Magic. If the depth of the rim is an issue, you might consider trying out the Chief or the Shaman. They fly similar to Gateway's flagship putters but these newer molds are much more slim. I don't know how else to describe it, but it's like they took the Wizard and Magic molds and smashed them into a flat putter. Gateway has several plastic blends that should fit your needs. I hope something sticks soon. Once you commit, get at least two putters that are identical so you can practice and get used to the new mold. Best of luck to you!

The only problem with these molds is that they are much slimmer & faster than a traditional PnA. They fade off pretty hard on slow tosses bc they're so fast.
I still say a Judge is the winner for your criteria...and I'm a Gateway groupie.

Chief is pretty good for shallow stable putting. I know it's classified as a mid, but the Vaccine(speed 3) is actually decent shallow slightly OS approach disc, I've never tried putting with it but it might be worth a shot.

1. Shallow - I've got relatively small hands, and I feel like I can't get the grip I want with most putters. I use a fan grip and (with the Wizard specifically) I can barely get my finger pads on the flight plate. It's more than just rim depth, though, because discs like the PA1 have a relatively low rim depth but feel incredibly thick/awkward in my hand.

Salient Touch might be worth looking into. It has a thin rim which should provide the comfortable feel you are looking for.

http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/salient-discs-touch-review/

Well, given what you have stated and given I have gone through a similar search, my suggestion would be to give the Lat64 Spike and the Yeti a try, maybe even an R-pro Aviar.

Never thought I would like the Yeti because I didn't like Aviars, but the Yeti feels much shallower and releases cleaner from my hand. I handled Yeti's in the stores for 6 months before I pulled the trigger and bought one, I still carried that "I don't like Aviars" in my head. glad I took the chance, I own 3 of them now and see no reason to change.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you didn't like about the Warden, Judge, Magnet and Challenger

I'm putting at the moment with Judges. But the issue is that it seems a tad too... thick? Mostly, I feel like my grip isn't consistent and sometimes my middle finger slips and I lose my aim. When I'm on, the Judge is amazing. But it just doesn't feel right. I wish I knew how to describe it better.

I know it's not in the chalky plastic you want, but, seriously, get some Envys. Soft N Envy is still grippy, and a P Envy makes a great driver. With the new baseline test plastic I'm sure we'll see some chalky Envys soon enough. I spush putt right at the pole probably a lot like you from your description and the Envy has been the putter for me. I have big hands, but I like shallow anyway, especially when I fan grip to putt.

Thanks for the recommendations, all. And feel free to keep them coming. I actually just picked up a Pure so I'll give it some work alongside my Judge and I have a buddy that carries a Ridge, so I'll see if I can't borrow it for a few holes. I haven't really liked the MVP/Axiom discs I've tried, but I'll go to the local shop and feel up an Envy to see what I think.

You should try a Vibram Ridge for sure. Very judge like, and the rubber may solve your grip issues.

That being said, at some point you've got to stick to your guns and just start working a putter to death if you want to be a good player. I think the mold itself is actually pretty arbitrary, effective practice will do a lot more good then constantly changing putters.

At a certain point, you have to wonder if the problem is that you aren't a great or confidant putter regardless of what disc your holding. That may sound harsh, and I could be dead wrong, but I think its worth saying.

Latest posts