• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] My Innova Skillshot First impressions

attik34

Birdie Member
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-3803/Innova-Skillshot/

So I just got one of these and wanted to share my thoughts on it after using it a few times :)

The first thing i noticed when unpacking this thing is that it is a SOLID basket. Very stable pieces in terms of the feet, and the post that runs up. The canvas part of the basket is really thick and seems like its going to last.

Biggest complaint would be the little pieces that actually lock the device into place. The springs or w/e that pop out of the post and hold the top umbrella up and the the bottom basket up are kinda flimsy, and I worry about them into the future.

Really, I've been pretty impressed with this very inexpensive option. I was afraid to commit to a "cheaper" one, because I didn't think it would be solid or be able to take a hit. But I got a really really good deal on it and couldn't pass up at least trying it. Its so far been a pleasant surprise in quality, and I'll try to update after like...3-4 months of use. Probably not alot of great info here, but figured I'd share my experience

i have been using mine for 2 years and still love it. When I get on a regulation basket I feel like I can make anything.

One suggestion, don't leave it out in the weather (especially sun) because the colors will fade.

They are a great basket for the money. Portable and easy to set up anywhere.

I got one before I went on my coop last fall and used it a ton. The only issue that I have had with mine is that a little bit of the stitching came out in a couple spots. After I got home around Christmas time, my mom was able to fix it right up good as new without any problem, though. I would agree with the OP that it is a great basket for the price.

i have been using mine for 2 years and still love it. When I get on a regulation basket I feel like I can make anything.

It's definitely way tougher to hole out one than a regular basket. I'm concerned that it might be stunting my growth as a putter by instilling deep-seated putting confidence issues.

Last edited:
after a lot of putting with my skillshot, I feel like I putt too soft for standard baskets. The chains are so light and the fabric bottom is so forgiving that I make everything i toss over towards the basket. The chains are really light and i get used to just putting soft, then when i go to real baskets on the course, with heavy standard chains, my putts bounce off the chains because i'm putting as if the chains are lighter. just my opinion. great basket, but it can mess with me sometimes if i don't pay attention.

Mine broke last week after 6 months. The top metal "umbrella" frame structure is held together by a slim wire that was just twisted together on the ends, and that wire had broken. It's was a pretty easy fix, new piece of thicker wire through the 8 chain support arms and then crimped it off neatly.

Also didn't know that the entire top canvas piece comes off in seconds until this repair. Makes me less worried about sun/rain damage on the top canvas, because it could be easily replaced/repaired.

Enjoyed this basket a lot and was fun to use like many others have said but it did nothing to help putting game. Wayyyyyy too many puts end up flipping in or sticking that normally wouldn't. It lasted fine outside, in winter, summer and canvas is easily maintainable but just never felt like it was helping. Its a portable "fun" basket but really IMO hinders your putting practice if it is your ONLY practice basket.

Its a portable "fun" basket but really IMO hinders your putting practice if it is your ONLY practice basket.

I noticed this as well. I practiced on my Skillshot a ton last summer and noticed that when I got played into an actual basket, my putting game was suffering.

Fun basket? Yes. Technical? I don't believe so.

:popcorn:

It is my least favorite basket.
It is too heavy for a collapsible. The Mach lite and travelers are lighter and catch just as well.
The other portables (non-collapsible) are more realistic and just a little heavier.

What I'm going to reply to all the people who don't think the chains are realistic with is going to show how good I am.

If I'm hitting chains from 20 its an improvement :(, so I'll worry about putting to soft when i fix the "missing the basket completely" problem :)

I'm trying to remember when I got one of these. I'm going to guess Christmas of 2001. Mine is still in one piece. It should last for you.

I got this basket for my birthday in September. It may be a bit finnicky for putting, but it is good to have for these times when you feel like playing but cant get to a course. My best experience with it was right after Sandy. Our local course is densely wooded and was an absolute mess after the hurricane, so my friends and I brought the basket to the soccer field and had some fun.

I got one when they were still made by Ching and it has held up since '03. The spring pins are cheap and hard to pop out sometimes but it is what it is. Very convenient for mobile temp basket setup.

If I'm hitting chains from 20 its an improvement :(, so I'll worry about putting to soft when i fix the "missing the basket completely" problem :)

missing the basket completely at 20 feet? are you aiming at anything? at that distance, pick a link and hit it.

missing the basket completely at 20 feet? are you aiming at anything? at that distance, pick a link and hit it.

Well...obviously I'm not wiffing all the time...but at 20 feet I don't give myself alot of chances to make putts...outside of 20 ft I'm basically just flopping up for a drop in cuz im that bad :(

I outdrive like...80% of the people I play against in rec though :) too bad my putting is bad enough to ruin that

Well...obviously I'm not wiffing all the time...but at 20 feet I don't give myself alot of chances to make putts...outside of 20 ft I'm basically just flopping up for a drop in cuz im that bad :(

I outdrive like...80% of the people I play against in rec though :) too bad my putting is bad enough to ruin that

what putter are you using at that distance?

Get to your course when there is nobody there, or as empty as possible. Pick a basket. Putt a few on it from 5 feet. Make them all. Move back to 10 feet. Make them all. Keep moving back...etc...

I have a DGA M-14 at home. When I get used to putting on it, I rely on it's shape, and width, and miss to the sides on the Innova Discatchers on my home course. I started practicing more at the course, and have seen better results. Plus, the course has baskets on hills, which my home basket can't duplicate.

This may work for you as well. Plus, you'll save 120 bucks or so. With that money you can buy more putters to practice with. :thmbup:

Good luck!

Latest posts