• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00b from MD

natedlee

So my 4yo son and I started playing about a month ago here in MD - and we're hooked. A couple questions:

- Where do I get accurate par information? I've only played at 2 courses (Patapsco/Rockburn) but neither seem to have accurate par information, or none posted at all. If I look in various iOS apps they don't seem accurate either - at least not from the perspective of different tees to different baskets. Patapsco has 3 tees (Pro, Amature, Novice) and 2 baskets (short, long) at every hole -- but the par is just 3 throughout the entire course. Even some red to long must be par 4.
- What is "mark putt?" I've been using the UDisk app to keep score and it has a selection to "mark putt." I found that this messes with the ultimate score - it doesn't count the putts. So what's it for exactly? Wasn't sure if that's a general DG term or just a UDisk thing.

I can't answer the UDisc question, other than to say support the site and switch to the DGCR app. Par info is good in that app, and it's easy to use.

Par isn't that important anyway. If I recall correctly patapsco is all par 3, but there might be a couple par 4 on the green monster. Come on out to the west of the state! Woodsboro is really fun if you haven't tried it, the red layout is pretty fair, but the blue layout is my favorite. Ditto out in Hagerstown is also a really great course. Patapsco can be a challenge, and Seneca as well but both are really good courses.

I definitely want to get out there soon. I hear great things.

Re the DGCS app - I'll probably buy to support the site, but it seems the app is really just a mobile version of the site. And no Apple Watch support. That's my favorite part of other apps. No pulling my phone out for an entire game!

Generally you can assume that everything is a par 3 I know it seems crazy long and impossible but you're new to the game some of those that seem impossible now won't in a year. There is a course I play on that has 500 ft par 3s the only par 4 is over 700 feet.

Generally you can assume that everything is a par 3 I know it seems crazy long and impossible but you're new to the game some of those that seem impossible now won't in a year. There is a course I play on that has 500 ft par 3s the only par 4 is over 700 feet.

Fair enough. Can you help me break down this hole as an example?

attachment.php

I feel like I'm missing something reading this. At Patapsco there's a Pro Blue tee, an Amateur Red Tee, a Novice Yellow tee. A Short basket (light green), and a long basket (dark green).

I don't understand how that lines up with the screenshot above.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 11.00.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 11.00.29 AM.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 57
Patapsco:
All par 3 unless indicated otherwise below. There remains some debate among the community, but these are what I would call them in running a tournament:
1 Long-Long, 4
3 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
4 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
5 Long-Long 4
7 Short-Medium/Long, Long-Medium/Long 4
8 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
9 Long-Long 4
10 Short-Medium/Long, Long-Medium/Long 4
11 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
13 Long-Long 4
14 Long-Long 4
16 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
17 Short-Long, Long-Long 4
18 Long-Long 4

All novice tees 3 except 7-Long (4).

There may be some tough, some soft 3s/4s within those.

Rockburn:
1C, 4C, 10Ox, 11D, 12C, 16Ox, 18C (I think those are the appropriate names, but assume longest positions are noted) could reasonably be called 4s.

I think in the above listing, red is red to short, blue is blue to short, light green is red to long, dark green is blue to long (aka the green monster). The yellow brick pads are all par 3 regardless of pin position and generally aren't played as a tee, more for drop zones and short games as I understand it.

You have A, B, and C pin positions, meaning the baskets change location every so often. One week you might be in position A, playing red to short and have a 332' par 3, next week it might be in position C giving you the same tee, but now it's a 525' par 4 because the basket moved.

Rockburn:
1C, 4C, 10Ox, 11D, 12C, 16Ox, 18C (I think those are the appropriate names, but assume longest positions are noted) could reasonably be called 4s.

Yeah I played Rockburn this week. Confusing place, but has it's own charm. :)

I think in the above listing, red is red to short, blue is blue to short, light green is red to long, dark green is blue to long (aka the green monster). The yellow brick pads are all par 3 regardless of pin position and generally aren't played as a tee, more for drop zones and short games as I understand it.

You have A, B, and C pin positions, meaning the baskets change location every so often. One week you might be in position A, playing red to short and have a 332' par 3, next week it might be in position C giving you the same tee, but now it's a 525' par 4 because the basket moved.

Excellent! Thank you. I've seen the metal holes in the ground for what I assume is position A. But it doesn't seem these basket move much. If what you are saying above is correct, I'm not half bad :)

ignore par. enjoy getting out with your son and keeping him away from TV. your country thanks you!

Ha. Indeed. We play nearly every evening before dark and he LOVES it.

I am mildly interested in playing in some tournaments at some point though. So I'm interested in knowing if I'm any good. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad your hooked! Welcome to the sport. I play with my son too. You should check out the Thursday doubles at Rockburn. Right now, I think the draw time is 4:45.

I'm glad your hooked! Welcome to the sport. I play with my son too. You should check out the Thursday doubles at Rockburn. Right now, I think the draw time is 4:45.

Thanks! I'll check out the doubles. Are there kids as young as my son playing doubles? (4.5yo)

As for Par - you'll find there's widely differing opinions. Some say they're ridiculous - everything is par 3 regardless (even if it's 500 ft wooded tunnel shot) the real total score you throw is all that matters. Some want par to be based on a standard - this allows someone to assess how difficult a course is and how good they are. Don't get too worried about though cause par can change based on tee & pin position combination and often not every combination is captured.

But if you want par info - DGCR app uses pars as they appear on the web-page (which may not include every combination). Don't know about UDisc.

BTW - welcome to the sport. Drop me a line if you ever venture to Southern MD (e.g. Turkey Hill) or Fredericksburg VA area.