• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Nate S Firebird - FD3 - Felon??!!

DavidHedvin

Bogey Member
Hi!

What are your thoughts about these discs?

I have used Firebird and FD3 (c-line & Doomebird)

How about Felon? How is it? Stabilty?

Which one do you prefer both and fh / bh throws?

Lucid, Fuzion, cline, sline and so on... What are your thoughts here?

All help is welcome. Help me to decide which to bag, felons or fd3 or nate sexton Firebird??

I've thrown Sexton Firebird and DoomBirds. Never touched a Felon.

I prefer the Doombird over the SexyBirds because I can hit very similar lines without having to work as hard. Firebirds have their place, but if I were going to use one I'd get a FAF champion and really go for it. They're both really great. Just depends what level of OS you need. The easy answer is to just keep working with what you have and if you're on the course and actually need something more OS try and find a FAF Firebird.

I rarely use my Doombirds to be honest. I keep one in the bag in case of a 15-20 mph headwind which I haven't had to deal with recently. I have been using a Luster Thunderbird for all my OS distance. The level of OS that a Firebird (& similar molds) has can typically get you into trouble more than lower your score. I've played a lot of tournaments and seen players using Firebirds or Destroyers and sit back and watch them put themselves into OB or in rough spots.

Last edited:
I love Firebirds, I have no experience with the other two.

BH I use them as more of a utility disc, FH they can do almost anything you would want. In general, they started in more of a utility role, but they are so predictable that they have taken over a ton of shots in my bag and become one of my most used discs. I throw Sexton, Champion and Star. I prefer slight domes on the Champion and Stars.

Don't bother with a Felon if you want it to stay predictably OS. Having had experience with a Felon, FD3, multiple FireBirds (multiple Stars and Champs) and multiple ThunderBirds (Champ, Swirly Star, Luster), any of the above Innova/Discmania discs will stay OS much longer.

Suppose I can chime in for the Felon.

Foremost, it's a very comfortable Disc. A "modern" feel, if that's fair to say (its shallow and flat, consistent from Disc to Disc). FH, BH, thumber.. it's all good, feel-wise.

With a fresh felon you will get the beef you are looking for. HSS, with significant LSS. Good utility. I find it comparable to a Predator when fresh, but better feeling, IMO.

However, one downside of the felon is as it beats in I find it to lose some of that reliable HSS (develops turn, sample size of 2, and it took a season or two to get there). Although I consider this a slight downside, others may find it useful. Still maintains great fade. Thus, I bag two: one fresh, one beat. The beat one is great for forehands, and FH rollers. Lucid is a great plastic, also! Can find some good grippy, pretty lucid plastic. That said, I think it beats in slightly faster than a Champ and Z-Line, but not by much.

I've thrown all three, and settled on the felon a few years ago. Firebirds are great, just gotta find the Disc-shape you want. FAFs are always dependable, no matter how beat. FD3s, I believe, get called baby firebirds, as they don't fade as hard, but have the great HSS.

Is there a reason you are selecting based on these 3? There are plenty of options for utility fairways these days (like Predator, Ahti, Resistor, etc).

Don't bother with a Felon if you want it to stay predictably OS. Having had experience with a Felon, FD3, multiple FireBirds (multiple Stars and Champs) and multiple ThunderBirds (Champ, Swirly Star, Luster), any of the above Innova/Discmania discs will stay OS much longer.

I was Mid post when this came through! And I agree with the sentiment of OS consistency throughout the life of the felon, but some might find the stages of its life useful! Not unlike a Verdict.

Is there a reason you are selecting based on these 3? There are plenty of options for utility fairways these days (like Predator, Ahti, Resistor, etc).

I love my Resistors. Will always have at least one in my bag. I don't think they fall in the category of OS. They are more 'very stable' than utility beef.

I really like the Felon as an "overstable placement/control driver", while it's not a true overstable disc like a Firebird. I don't think you can bag just a Felon, it won't stay overstable in heavy winds, and it also has more glide/push in its HSS so it's not as good for spike hyzers for me. But for hard straight shots BH or FH that then need a heavy fade, or a long placement hyzer that is more OS than a Thunderbird, I love it. It really really wakes up and goes on hard laser forehand shots.

But it really needs to be paired with something more OS like a Firebird, that will get overstable during its HSS flight, and that also can handle all winds.

The FD3, I don't have as much experience with and haven't thrown the Lizotte ones, I feel is very HSS but not as much fade as the Firebird. So if you want a very stable-OS thrower then FD3, if you want a laser power/glide disc that then has lots of LSS then Felon.

I agree with Stable's post above, in that I can't just have a super beefy Firebird in my bag...it gets me into trouble sometimes and I can't power them down backhand. And sometimes a Thunderbird/Teebird isn't enough. So I do like having a thrower disc like the Felon as well. If you forehand a lot then you'll really like it, but it certainly can't replace a Firebird for everything or wind.

I am having the same issue. I lost my Sexton Firebird this past fall and have a hard time finding a firebird or any disc that is the replacement that I am looking for. The Sexton Firebird was a great disc as it would fly super dependable and fade reliably. Other Firebirds I have thrown feel like they take more effort to get to fly as accurate and as far as the Sexton. I found a Felon in a box yesterday and I think I will give that a try but I do not like how people say that they beat in relatively quickly. I also have an FD3 coming in the mail this week and from what I have reads, it could be the disc that replaces the Sexton Firebird the most closely. I will report back with my findings when the weather cooperates.

I really like the Felon as an "overstable placement/control driver", while it's not a true overstable disc like a Firebird. I don't think you can bag just a Felon, it won't stay overstable in heavy winds, and it also has more glide/push in its HSS so it's not as good for spike hyzers for me. But for hard straight shots BH or FH that then need a heavy fade, or a long placement hyzer that is more OS than a Thunderbird, I love it. It really really wakes up and goes on hard laser forehand shots.

But it really needs to be paired with something more OS like a Firebird, that will get overstable during its HSS flight, and that also can handle all winds.

The FD3, I don't have as much experience with and haven't thrown the Lizotte ones, I feel is very HSS but not as much fade as the Firebird. So if you want a very stable-OS thrower then FD3, if you want a laser power/glide disc that then has lots of LSS then Felon.

I agree with Stable's post above, in that I can't just have a super beefy Firebird in my bag...it gets me into trouble sometimes and I can't power them down backhand. And sometimes a Thunderbird/Teebird isn't enough. So I do like having a thrower disc like the Felon as well. If you forehand a lot then you'll really like it, but it certainly can't replace a Firebird for everything or wind.

This makes me feel better about my choice of discs currently in the bag. I carry 2 Felons. One is a Lucid that the HSS is starting to straighten out a bit, and the other is a BioFuzien that actually has turn HSS before the fade kicks in later in flight. However I also carry a FLICK. The Flick is technically more of a DD categorized disc, but in reality I can throw the Felon's further based on their glide. The Flick has that Spike Hyzer shot from a LHFH with much more consistency than I can get out of the Felon, so I have kept it in the bag even while it lost many shots to the Felons.