• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri or Iowa courses for a novice

Herrmann32

Hello everyone! I am going on a 9 day road trip to eight states in August. MN, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, MO, IA.

Some of the shorter days will allow a round of disc golf. The most likely places I will have extra time are eastern NE, eastern KS, MO and Iowa.

Unfortunately, MN is out for our trip as we have too many other plans there. For the most part, we will be driving up I-35 and down I-29, with a little national park detour to the other side of ND and SD.

Long story short, I'm looking for a couple places that my girlfriend, who is new to the sport, won't hate me while playing a round. Less carrying of water, less long holes, that kind of stuff. Although I'd love to play the Harmony Bends courses of the world, they may not be the best for this trip. Any ideas welcome!

Thank you.

Iowa I-35:
Des Moines - Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Grandview... each have short tees and are in good parks. Grandview would be the least distance from the interstate, especially if you take the I-235 spur through downtown.
Ames - Stable Run... multiple tees and baskets on each hole, about 5 miles off the interstate

Iowa I-29:
Omaha (just across the river) - Seymour Smith
Council Bluffs - Iowa Western CC

Last edited:
Based on your criteria, I second the recommendation of playing Treasure Cove located on the Iowa Western Community College campus in Council Bluffs. It's a great course and most holes have 2-3 sets of tees, so you can decide how much of a challenge you want when you get there.

But word of warning, some stretches of I-29 are still closed due to the Missouri River flooding back in March. Check out each state's 511 page before you go.

Thank you so much for the word of warning. I've been seeing the road closures but didn't know why. We will make sure to plan alternate routes and keep monitoring.

As for discing, looks like Waterworks in Kansas City for now, and I'll put Iowa Western CC on the short list pending how I-29 and alternate routes are. I appreciate the insight.

Thank you so much for the word of warning. I've been seeing the road closures but didn't know why. We will make sure to plan alternate routes and keep monitoring.

As for discing, looks like Waterworks in Kansas City for now, and I'll put Iowa Western CC on the short list pending how I-29 and alternate routes are. I appreciate the insight.

Water Works is fantastic! Best course that I've personally played. Can't remember how close it is to the interstate though.

Also, if you end up having to detour and take I-80 between Omaha and Des Moines, there's an awesome course called Sunnyside DGC. It's in a small town, Atlantic, IA.

Also, if you end up having to detour and take I-80 between Omaha and Des Moines, there's an awesome course called Sunnyside DGC. It's in a small town, Atlantic, IA.

Thanks for this tip, made a stop here on my way to Omaha, NE down I80. Very fun course with nice signage, course maintenance, elevation changes and pin placements. Well worth the stop! :hfive:

Thanks for this tip, made a stop here on my way to Omaha, NE down I80. Very fun course with nice signage, course maintenance, elevation changes and pin placements. Well worth the stop! :hfive:

Sunnyside is a hidden gem, for sure! Glad you enjoyed it.

Latest posts